Need to replace part of exhaust.... hard to find OEM

b1pig

Reaction score
On this 94 GT we brought home today, some genius thought it would be an amazing idea to saw the exhaust off the car. (maybe thought he was stealing the cats, but got the mufflers instead) It's missing the entire exhaust from about 3" behind the last cat to the back. So, the h pipe and all are gone. If I did get a new cat-back, the ball flanges are gone and that tricky little bend and offset length make it a little tougher.

Nothing within 150 miles of me that I can find so far. as I search for a replacement. At this stage, any exhaust would be better than none at all. But I'd really "like" to have it close enough back to stock that I can put an off the shelf kit on it. I've been looking at replacement ball flange kits with length of pipe. I have a small MIG welder, so I dont mind welding... but I don't have a bender.

If you had a similar issue or went your own way, I'd be interested in any ideas yall have.

Wmac

Reaction score
Since an aftermarket catback fits all sn95's, you could likely "section-in" either an off-road h-pipe or mid-pipe from a 96 to 04 oem. Check your local classified's, salvage yards, etc.
In the mean time, add a pair of mini bullets. Neighbors will be impressed. lol

dwcopple

Reaction score
If you have cats still, how are the flanges gone??? The H pipe housed the cats. The manifolds are where H pipes bolt up

Wmac

Reaction score
OP mentions that it was cut after the last cat. So the H and the bolt-ups to the catback are missing. If he could find any 94 to 04 mid pipe (oem, off-road, etc), he could cut and fit the section that is needed.

dwcopple

Reaction score
Why couldn't he just bolt up any midpipe to the existing manifolds?

OP
OP
b1pig

b1pig

Reaction score
The ball flanges were cut off. There's enough pipe left, I think a replacement flange kit will do what I need. We sort of have too many toys in the yard. We sold an old Harley and bought the Mustang. No more parts for the Jeep. LOL

dwcopple

Reaction score
Order a set of "flow tubes" and cut the flanges off and weld or expand and clamp to what's there

OP
OP
b1pig

b1pig

Reaction score
Order a set of "flow tubes" and cut the flanges off and weld or expand and clamp to what's there
Something I'm seeing is that the stock exhaust is 2.25". Pretty much everything available seems to be 2.5" from the flanges back. That seem accurate to yall?

Its 15 miles from me to any parts store and two days from anything on amazon. LOL... Looks like some time this week I'm gonna slide under there with a tape measure to make sure.

Wmac

Reaction score
Oem size is 2 1/4", most aftermarket performance catbacks are 2 1/2". But the flange will bolt-up to the oem mid pipe.
Do you still have the cross over (H) on the mid-pipe or was it also cut-off?

OP
OP
b1pig

b1pig

Reaction score
Initially, I thought it was cut off, but as it turns out, I just didn't duck down low enough to see it. The H pipe is actually still there. There might be 1/2" of pipe left behind it on one side. Just enough to weld to. i wouldn't trust it enough to clamp it, even with a band style clamp.

I wiggled under the car yesterday afternoon between thunderstorms. It was hiding from me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

95opal

Reaction score
Initially, I thought it was cut off, but as it turns out, I just didn't duck down low enough to see it. The H pipe is actually still there. There might be 1/2" of pipe left behind it on one side. Just enough to weld to. i wouldn't trust it enough to clamp it, even with a band style clamp.

I wiggled under the car yesterday afternoon between thunderstorms. It was hiding from me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

If the H-pipe is still there then no need for welding. You just need a set of flow tubes and a cat back. The h has whats called a ball and socket fit. Post a pic of what you have under there so your not spending money and time on stuff you dont need

OP
OP
b1pig

b1pig

Reaction score
The h has whats called a ball and socket fit.
Yep. Thats what was cut off. RIGHT behind the H pipe. If it isn't raining when I get home from work, I'll take a photo and post it.

OP
OP
b1pig

b1pig

Reaction score
have you tried a local exhaust shop to see if they can fab something up?
There are two muffler shops near me. One likes to charge a ridiculous fee for his services.... the other... well I had experience with him once. Not repeating that mistake.

I have a welder. Not afraid to use it. :cool:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
do you have a lift? We just had someone do some subframe connectors on here on jackstands and I think if he had to do it again that he might have found a lift. There is just no space with the mask, welding blanket, and then sparks sparks sparks.

But if its cut behind the H-pipe joint why can't we just get a new H?

Wmac

Reaction score
All he needs is 2 sockets, 2 flanges and some short pieces of pipe. Should be able to find these at an auto parts store. I would recommend that the OP gets his catback of choice before he does any final welding.
Good practice for a diy "welder/fitter."

OP
OP
b1pig

b1pig

Reaction score
DB0CBCB6-4B69-4817-A316-89108F1221DE.jpeg

Here ya go. I've got a full complement of jack stands. I have two tall ones that I put under my Jeep. They're tall enough to keep my axles a working height off the garage floor when they're under the frame. Between those two and my other 4, I should be good. Should also give me enough room to drop the axle down to get tail pipes over it.... once I have an exhaust....

Guess someone wanted their flowmasters pretty bad.

Last edited:

dwcopple

Reaction score
That's 2.25". Buy a couple open mouth extensions or just buttweld 2.25". Then offset/offset mufflers and turndown tips and you're good. No need for tails. Just be smart when picking a muffler. Honestly glasspacks (perforated not louvered) are nice with dumps and pretty darn quiet too. Turbo mufflers with dumps droned on my vert. Thrush glasspacks 24" were perfect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online