Need to Vent | Frustrating Show Down - Street Race

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

On my way home from work I make it to my exit where I get off to take the local roads BACK to my house. Mind you I am in the mustang cruising because my daily has been down all summer. Now when I get off my exit I see lights from a local fire truck coming down the road right when I was getting off the exit on to the main road.

I let the fire truck get in front of me and he starts to clear the road so I follow behind from a safe distance. I see this blue Subaru forester honk at me abruptly because I passed him when I was behind the fire truck. Apparently, he probably pulled over from the fire trucking coming down the road and wanted to immediately get back in the lane he was in. As a courtesy to him I slow down let me get in front of me while the fire truck is clearing traffic since he was so IMPATIENT to begin with. Now this is where the frustration starts to build!

The right lane was clear so I put on my blinker on and PIPE IT UP while I passed him on the right. I guess he thought this was challenge and he followed me to next light where both lanes where clear ahead. The light immediately turns yellow, I slow down and he slows down in his car, then to red. In my head I knew I was going go WOT because I didn't want this guy to get leg up on me since he was being impatient with me 2 mins before hand.

The light turns GREEN, I lay down the hammer like jack reacher in his red SS chevelle running from cops. He goes WOT throttle at the same exact time I hit the throttle and it turns into a street race, GREAT (sarcasm). Ok, we hit first gear dead nuts even, then this dude got his car a half a nose in front of me by 2nd gear, and we shut down in the middle of third gear because another light was coming up. I road his ass the whole race because the two lanes turn into one big merge lane. He managed to get in front of me but couldn't pull anymore. I was really pissed because I didn't want to race anyway as I was tired and wanted to go home from work but I was tempted to hit the gas out of frustration. To put extra fuel on the fire he was out of state too lol.

When we got to the last light before we parted ways. I gave him a pretty mean stare down, he really didn't say anything and looked kinda of embarrassed. He probably thought my car was easy pickens since he had the 250hp 2.0L Turbo Model with CVT. I guess this was the ideal match up for me with almost every bolt on under the sun on a stock NPI tune. I've been having CEL emission codes so I know my car hasn't been at peak efficiency but I really wanted to over take this guy and go straight home.

This is last time this is happening to me on the street. I am buying TFS heads and going to go crazy after im done fixing my degraded bushings and other pieces of my suspension on my car. Thanks guys for listening. Also post up any frustrating races you had recently intentionally or unintentionally and what your setup is too.

Nathan

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Had similar issues with most everything on the road in my 'full bolt-on', '98 GT before I did the PI swap.. Afterwards, I can whip 60% of anything I come across on the street from a roll [2.73's] but it's still a turd off the line until about 4500 rpms. Granted I can go about 60 mph in first, it still seems like an eternity.

Moral: PI swap that beast and go with some lower gears; Rest assured that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Never lost a race. I did however go door to door with a stock GC SRT8, actually just had longtubes and exhaust. I see the dude all the time, lives by me, always says I have more than HCI, doesn't believe me haha. But yeah Trickflow for the win, but I want another 100 whp so boost eventually.

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
My non pi got destroyed by a turbo cobalt ss like 2 weeks ago. Oh well lol. Cant wait until spring for my pi heads, MHS cams, and 4.10s. I did race a newer v6 camry when the car was 100% stock and was amazed when I pulled on it.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Guys, we can't be bragging about racing Camrys and Foresters lol.

I don't do that on the street though. I would rather ruffle someone's feathers and then not take off on them. Leaves them with no satisfaction.

Who cares if someone beats you? There is ALWAYS someone faster.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Screw the heads...

throw some aftermarket cams/springs and a blower,turbo setup on that thing and quit worrying about 90% of the stuff on the street.

The look of the turbo import guys faces' when your BoV goes off beside them is priceless.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

I don't do that on the street though. I would rather ruffle someone's feathers and then not take off on them. Leaves them with no satisfaction.

^This.

And if the goal is to dominate all, go FI. And hand over your wallet while you are at it :)

And - not being critical or anything so please don't take this wrong, just an observation: if you didn't really want to race the guy, you shouldn't have. As ridiculous as this may sound, races are just as much mental as the car's capability - if not more. If you aren't feeling it, don't do it. Typically will not end well.

myk

Reaction score
I love Mustangs. I love both of mine dearly. But when it comes to illegal street racing I wouldn't bother unless I was driving one of my F bodies. That's just the reality of it, unless you want to start throwing money and mods at your car. But I'm of the school of thought that says if you want a faster car, then buy a faster car. Just my 3 cents...

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Had similar issues with most everything on the road in my 'full bolt-on', '98 GT before I did the PI swap.. Afterwards, I can whip 60% of anything I come across on the street from a roll [2.73's] but it's still a turd off the line until about 4500 rpms. Granted I can go about 60 mph in first, it still seems like an eternity.

Moral: PI swap that beast and go with some lower gears; Rest assured that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I have 3.73's and I can out gear about 70% of the vehicles on the road from a dig. In my area there are bunch of econonmy cars and suv's. Occasionally you get something that can match or beat you but then it comes down to who has the most balls lol.

TFS is the prescription drug of choice.

You know it DropTop! You know me better than the rest hahaa...

Add a third pedal and you'll be golden

I have the third pedal mod in two areas. In boxes for my third pedal swap if I shall choose to do in the future for the 96 GT and my project 02 GT vert is bonafide 5 speed. I feel you though bro.

Never lost a race. I did however go door to door with a stock GC SRT8, actually just had longtubes and exhaust. I see the dude all the time, lives by me, always says I have more than HCI, doesn't believe me haha. But yeah Trickflow for the win, but I want another 100 whp so boost eventually.

Me and you both! We have similar goals so see you at the top Joey.

My non pi got destroyed by a turbo cobalt ss like 2 weeks ago. Oh well lol. Cant wait until spring for my pi heads, MHS cams, and 4.10s. I did race a newer v6 camry when the caar was 100% and was amazed when I pulled on it.

Hey a win is a win! Grocery getter or not lol. Our power levels can be frustrating because we deal with sub 300hp cars and thats like everything on the road today. Time to step it up right.

This is true. There is always someone faster but the worst part of a race is how it was initiated to race. If its all fun and games if there isn't a issue, but when someone is trying to one up you on the street it can be annoying.

Screw the heads...

throw some aftermarket cams/springs and a blower,turbo setup on that thing and quit worrying about 90% of the stuff on the street.

The look of the turbo import guys faces' when your BoV goes off beside them is priceless.

This has some merit. Me, Droptop, Joey, and a few others live where imports dominate the scene. There is more muscle further south for sure but seeing there face reaction is funny lol.

^This.

And if the goal is to dominate all, go FI. And hand over your wallet while you are at it :)

And - not being critical or anything so please don't take this wrong, just an observation: if you didn't really want to race the guy, you shouldn't have. As ridiculous as this may sound, races are just as much mental as the car's capability - if not more. If you aren't feeling it, don't do it. Typically will not end well.

I didn't want to but I made the choice because I was in my emotions already lol, its funny how that works.

I love Mustangs. I love both of mine dearly. But when it comes to illegal street racing I wouldn't bother unless I was driving one of my F bodies. That's just the reality of it, unless you want to start throwing money and mods at your car. But I'm of the school of thought that says if you want a faster car, then buy a faster car. Just my 3 cents...

I am stubborn when it comes to this chassis. They are perfect sleeper cars because no one expects them to fast. Most F-body owners know about this body style so to see one that has work done or modded extensively is intriguing. Its easy to make a fast car faster, but it takes patience, skill, and time to make slower model equally fast or faster. :thumbsup:

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As the saying goes, any idiot can make a fast car fast. It takes a special kind of idiot to make a slow car fast.

I have people try me all the time on the highway, and I just don't give them the time of day. The speed up and slow down. It's their gas they're wasting, not mine. Why should I care?

The best was some F-Body trying my buddy's GT500 with 750+ to the tire. He did the same thing, over and over, speed up and slow down, taking off like a retard, etc. My buddy on the other hand stayed on cruise control. He could have eaten the doors off of that car, but it's not worth it. Nobody is impressed and too many people are endangered.

It sucks when people get killed because two people are racing and they plow into the back of someone who is totally uninvolved. Happens on an almost weekly basis down here.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
As the saying goes, any idiot can make a fast car fast. It takes a special kind of idiot to make a slow car fast.

I have people try me all the time on the highway, and I just don't give them the time of day. The speed up and slow down. It's their gas they're wasting, not mine. Why should I care?

The best was some F-Body trying my buddy's GT500 with 750+ to the tire. He did the same thing, over and over, speed up and slow down, taking off like a retard, etc. My buddy on the other hand stayed on cruise control. He could have eaten the doors off of that car, but it's not worth it. Nobody is impressed and too many people are endangered.

It sucks when people get killed because two people are racing and they plow into the back of someone who is totally uninvolved. Happens on an almost weekly basis down here.

Yeah, good news is that the street it happened on wasn't busy which was key and there was no one in front of us or coming down the opposite direction. If the guy in the turbo forester didn't honk like I ruined his day it probably would of never happened. I just got suckered into the bait like most of stock bolt on sn95's do. Sigh....

More good news is that this pushed me over the edge to do engine work. And since that forester was 250hp model I can bench mark it to my car. It was dead heat match until the beginning of third gear. If it was the highway I probably could of taken him but the world may never know lol.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
I have been beat by myself multiple times. So dont feel too bad!

^ which has involved multiple inanimate objects:violent1: that luckily have not needed replacing :eek:ccasion14:

Mustanger

Reaction score

Would this statement still apply IYO to the newer Coyote engined Mustangs? I mean to me they qualify as a faster car right? I consider anything 11 & 12 second ET's fast. And they can go faster than
that even.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Would this statement still apply IYO to the newer Coyote engined Mustangs? I mean to me they qualify as a faster car right? I consider anything 11 & 12 second ET's fast. And they can go faster than
that even.

A lot of people have there own definition of fast but when your in that time second range I agree that is fast for the street.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online