need ur guys opinion

GaryG

Reaction score
first off, this will be for a 96-98 GT, 5 spd

im having trouble deciding if i should just go w/ pi heads/intake, forged internals, and D1SC ProCharger on the 96-98 gt

OR

save up for a 96-98 cobra engine and drop in it in GT, and do the following:
302 stroker kit, forged internals, ported heads, s/c cams, and D1SC ProCharger

any/all advice will be taken into consideration

4point6GT

Reaction score
GaryG said:

im having trouble deciding if i should just go w/ pi heads/intake, forged internals, and D1SC ProCharger on the 96-98 gt

OR

both ways sound awesome, how many miles u got on ur car, if its much less than what u find a 96-98 cobra engine id go PI way. I was gonna say PI way is much cheaper but u never know, gotta research and then find out which way is faster to get to ur power goals, less expensive if you dont install parts urself...etc. either way I doubt u will get the procharger right away unless u got deep pockets so be patient and figure out what way is the most achievable.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
unless you have deep pockets, i'd go the PI route. cams an springs for 2v heads = $825
springs and cams for 4v=$1500+

and the 96-98 4v heads arent all that great, ud do a 99+n4vheads if it was me

4point6GT

Reaction score
Thomas_W said:
unless you have deep pockets, i'd go the PI route. cams an springs for 2v heads = $825

yea if u get a 96-98 cobra engine ur gonna end up gettin better heads for that as well so might as well go the PI way and then when u have tons of money just get a terminator engine or other mod or shortblock engine.

OP
OP
G

GaryG

Reaction score
4point6GT said:
GaryG said:

OR

both ways sound awesome, how many miles u got on ur car, if its much less than what u find a 96-98 cobra engine id go PI way. I was gonna say PI way is much cheaper but u never know, gotta research and then find out which way is faster to get to ur power goals, less expensive if you dont install parts urself...etc. either way I doubt u will get the procharger right away unless u got deep pockets so be patient and figure out what way is the most achievable.

thanks, as of right now i dont have a stang, saving up now for 1

Thomas_W said:

well hey Thomas, its GaryG over on BMC...thanks for the info man...do u know if its true the 96-98 gt blocks can handle 450-500 rwhp with a good tune?

4point6GT

Reaction score
trust me then.....save up for a cobra, lol......u can find a 96-98 at a good price not much more than a 96-98 gt or maybe even less if ur lucky. If not, just get a 2v gt and join us in smokin our older brotha :hammer: :) only 4 fun tho. I RESPECT THE 4V, will have one, one day ;D

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
save up for a cobra...you will kick yourself in the end if you get a 2V

OP
OP
G

GaryG

Reaction score
i will look into cobra's if i find the right price...what im gonna try an do is save $2-3,000 maybe 4,000 and see if some1 would want to do a trade + cash for my dd i have now...dont know if ill have any luck, but its worth a shot

OP
OP
G

GaryG

Reaction score
4point6GT said:
u aint old enough to finance a car ?

im 19, if i save for the car w/ my own money, it will make me appreciate the car more instead of getting a loan

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
4point6GT said:
u aint old enough to finance a car ?
financing a car is gay....its much better to just straight out own it. plus cash talks. :bunny3:

Thomas_W

Reaction score
GaryG said:
4point6GT said:
GaryG said:

OR

thanks, as of right now i dont have a stang, saving up now for 1

Thomas_W said:

well hey Thomas, its GaryG over on BMC...thanks for the info man...do u know if its true the 96-98 gt blocks can handle 450-500 rwhp with a good tune?

The block will hold upwards of 650hp. i know of a few people makin 600rwhp on the stock iron blocks.

its the internals that are the limiting factor. stock rods and pistons max 400-450. crank about 650

Thomas_W

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:

I'm not kicking myself in the end. Lets do the break down.

Supercharged 97GTS w/ 52k orig. miles- $4k
New motor #1 - $1000
New motor # 2 and everything else $13k..

$18k and i've got a setup to beat 75% of every daily driven vehicle on the road AND i've got cheap insurance.. $56 a month for a single 23 y.o. Male

Compared to if i financed a cobra for $7k i'd have a car payment AND insurnace thats $156 a month

I'll take the GT!

PLUS its AWESOME seeing the looks on peoples faces w/ cobra's when your "lil ole GT" walks the dog on them

OP
OP
G

GaryG

Reaction score
thomas, thanks for the information, very much appreciated... iirc, ur stang had a 99-04 gt block in it, correct me if im wrong...

but would it be wiser just to keep the 96-98 gt block and install the PI heads/intake, or would it be best to swap in a 99-04 gt block?

and also, do the 99-04 gt blocks handle bout the same power as the 96-98?

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:

Im gonna have to agree. I see thomas's point and it would be really cool to beat up on cobras with a GT but I still agree with DFG :)

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What horsepower level are you looking for? The 2V can make as much as a 4V when boosted up to 500rwhp or so....after that the 4V starts to pull away due to superior breathing.

OP
OP
G

GaryG

Reaction score
650-700 rwhp/tq...which will most likely consider an aftermarket block

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There are no aftermarket blocks for modulars except the SHM race block thats 3k just for the block....the stock modular block can handle up to 1000hp easily when equipped with forged internals. If you want 700hp you will need P&P'ed heads and blower cams with alot of boost but it is obtainable with the 2V but not cheap...700hp will require just about the entire car be upgraded.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
700hp on ANY car will require the ENTIRE car to be upgraded...

It sounds like you've got the exact hp goals for your car as i've got for mine.

My car DID have a 04 GT longblock.. a couple of reasons for this.
1. It was 40% more expensive than a 96-98 motor.
2. My car had LOW mileage (54k miles on it) when the motor went and i didn't want to put a higher mileage motor in the car than the car had.
3. The PI heads flow much better and have better cams.
4. I could sell the intake setup and make some of the $$$ back
5. It was only $1200 for a 11k mile longblock

IF you do a PI headswap to a 96-98 car your going to have a bump in compression that ranges anywhere from 10.1:1 to 10.8:1 which isn't boost friendly w/ the stock internals.

The iron blocks are all the same.. they all hold about the same amount of power and should be plenty fine for your HP level.

The only blocks available for the 4.6's are all production blocks but 1. the choices are.
stock Iron Block
Teksid Block
Aviator Aluminum block
FRPP Block (the one i have).

Also.. P&P'd heads are not COMPLETELY necessary they will just help get there w/ less boost. I plan on making 700hp or so w/ the heads i have currently.. yes i know they are P&P'd BUT they aren't radical stage 2's or anythere.. more like a Port and bowl cleanup than a P&P.
You will definately need cams though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online