Need your opinion/diagnosis - 01 Mustang GT

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently acquired a project car that I got for very cheap and was wondering can you help me diagnosis what this could be. The car has a known exhaust leak at the midpipe where it connects to the magnaflow catback but I can not tell if this car has lifter tick. I apologize for having the phone vertical (wasn't thinking) but just got caught up making the video. Let me know your thoughts. If it does have lifter tick was is the best course of action?

[video=youtube;K1GG6wYLAMA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1GG6wYLAMA[/video]

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Now the car has been warmed up I think I know what the problem is. Just need you guys to confirm.

[video=youtube;ayFYcsPySRc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayFYcsPySRc[/video]

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from a video, but to me that sounds like either rod knock, or there is something loose and it is rattling when you blip the throttle. I, of course, could be way off on both of those. Does it drive okay, other than the noise?

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
That sounds way harsher than an exhaust leak imo, could be wrong.

It sounds like a mixture of both. Exhaust leak with a bunch of other problems.

Yeah i would look into a pi motor

I've been contemplating on buying a built short block and swapping everything over.

It's hard to tell from a video, but to me that sounds like either rod knock, or there is something loose and it is rattling when you blip the throttle. I, of course, could be way off on both of those. Does it drive okay, other than the noise?

When my buddy drove it back with me following, he said the car had some bad vibrations. I shrugged it off saying that it could be a bad motor mount since convertibles destroy stock motor mounts faster than the coupes because of the weight biases. The more I read online the more it sounds like a spun rod bearing :(

Sounds like a rod bearing

I agree man, what-a-set-back! :(

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
definitely does not sound like lifter tick, good thing is you can find a replacement short block cheap.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Dont go big...go within your budget.

I have a teksid block that needs a .020over and matching pistons...I sell good price!

Dtp has the right idea though. Find one you have heard running, be sure it sounds great! Swap out the stock slugs for a set of flat tops....enjoy!

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Try to find a WAP short block from a Explorer or Mach etc.

What are special about these short blocks droptop?

Dont go big...go within your budget.

I have a teksid block that needs a .020over and matching pistons...I sell good price!

Dtp has the right idea though. Find one you have heard running, be sure it sounds great! Swap out the stock slugs for a set of flat tops....enjoy!

This isn't a daily driver but a project car to restore back to glory so its not a big deal to me.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What are special about these short blocks droptop?

This isn't a daily driver but a project car to restore back to glory so its not a big deal to me.

Just Aluminum blocks to save some weight. They usually are cheaper than a Teksid unless you can find a cheap Mark VIII setup. If I was just looking for something easy I would find the explorer short block that had the PI engine but aluminum block. I have seen the complete explorer engines for $1000-1200.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Just Aluminum blocks to save some weight. They usually are cheaper than a Teksid unless you can find a cheap Mark VIII setup. If I was just looking for something easy I would find the explorer short block that had the PI engine but aluminum block. I have seen the complete explorer engines for $1000-1200.

I really want to boost this engine so if I put something stock I would probably have to start over. Hmmm maybe I can find a built aluminum shortblock we will see.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online