Needing fan and water pump

caseypayne69

Reaction score
Anyone know any sites that sell electric fans alone, so i dont have to buy the complete fan, radiator, resiover kit from Ford?

Also, since my water pump is gone, is an electric water pump safe for a daily drive? Is it harder to install?

monkeydude3

Reaction score
I don't think an electric one is safe for a DD. It's great for racing but it has a risk of going out and you don't immediately know it.

the water pump on a 4.6 is unbelieveably easy to replace. Did mine in under an hour.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The meziere electric water pump is pretty reliable. I have friend with one for 2 years of daily driving use and no issues. You can wire a light to go on if it fails. If the stock pump fails you won't know unless you catch the gauge so its the same gamble.

i need to know what year your car is.

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
96, but ima see if its the thermastat first. I'll be buying that, and see if water flows.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OK since your a 96 i would suggest going ahead and replacing your entire fan setup as Ford said. The 96 had a inferior setup and are commonly replaced with the entire 97 package ie: fan/shroud/radiator etc...its supposed to be a huge improvement. It is addressed in the Sean Hyland modular book in detail. If it does turn out to be the fan replace with the newer version.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
expensive but needed...once you mod your car that stock 96 cooling system just won't cut it. They fail on stock gt's in high heat so imagine once your at 300rwhp.

I'm shopping around for a new radiator and electric water pump myself.

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
I am doing this upgrade this weekend. I have the 97 fan hooked up right now because the old one died, but putting the new radiator in this weekend. Can't run my A/C without overheating and it sucks being down here in Alabama with no A/C. 98-100 temps plus 100% humidity = the suck!

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
i'll probably end up doing it. I'm going to liberty pull apart in Evansville, IN. See if i cant find a totaled 97 GT to rip it out of. Oh and my wife and i got hit by a 00+ cadie today. I'm post on it later.

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
I was taking my wife to work in her car, so I could use it since mines down. Pulled up, and put it in park, next thing u know cadie in front of us wouldnt stop in reverse, even thought I hit the horn. Banged up the fender on my wifes 1998 z24 cavalier. Oh well, new fender, and paint soon for free. woot.

I called about having my fan put in by a dealer and they said 400 bucks, And 1.5 hours labor, that dont add up and 320 for the fan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online