New 1/4 Track Times

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
Well, I went out to the track today with the drag racing club here at NC State. To begin with, I wasn't looking forward to it, because it was essentially a big group of imports. But they all turned out to be very cool guys, and there were a few V-8s, and I probably had the most fun at the strip I've ever had.

I had my fair share of kills today. :D I beat a bolt on/geared/slicked 5.0; a full bolt on turbo Scion TC; an exhaust LT1; a "twin turboed" 3000 GT (not sure about the twin turbos, he only ran low 16's all day....); a full bolt on, supercharged Cobalt SS; and almost got a full bolt on, slicks, turbo SRT-4 Neon (he got me by <.1). Funny thing is, they were all trapping WAY higher than I was, as in at least 5 mph faster, except the LT1 which was only about 1 mph faster. Some of them ran a slightly quicker ET. I was just destroying them on the reaction time and 60'. Of all those cars I just listed, their fastest 60' was a 2.29 (the Neon), and the best reaction time of theirs was a .331, also the Neon. The Scion trapped at 109, but had a 1.1 RT, and a 2.7 60'. Anyway, I know my car isn't very fast, but I found it funny that I was beating cars that should have smoked me.

Track: Rockingham Dragway, was very well prepped.
DA: 250 ft
60 degrees out

My best run ET wise:
.06 RT
2.07 60'
9.13 1/8 ET
78.3 1/8 Trap
14.15 1/4 ET
98.8 1/4 Trap

Best run MPH wise:
.07 RT
2.07 60'
9.17 1/8 ET
79.7 1/8 Trap
14.20 1/4 ET
98.9 1/4 Trap

While I was disappointed that I couldn't quite get into the 13s, I was quite pleased compared to my last 1/4 track visit (15.2 at 90....) I was very consistent with pretty much everything today:
My 60's were pretty much all between 2.06 and 2.08
RT's were between .050 and .150, with an average of about .100
1/8 ET's were right around 9.15, trapping between mid 78 and mid 79.
1/4 ET's were between 14.18 and 14.22 all day, trapping anywhere in the 98 range.

It was weird that in the best MPH run, I had the same 60', higher 1/8 trap, and higher 1/4 trap, yet ran a slower ET. This happened several times: I got a better 60' than the best ET run, yet ran a tenth or so slower. There was about a 15 mph headwind; that may have had something to do with it. And speaking of 60's, I was doing about as good as my car would do. I was launching at 2000 rpm, and it was dead hooking. So I think that about a 2.05-2.07 is as good as my car will do with its current power level and stock stall converter.

So, considering my 1/8 ETs were close to .2 seconds slower than my previous track times (8.98 at 79.3, -1600 DA), I believe that with good weather, I could make a 13 second pass. Anyone know about the best ET you can get out of about 99 mph?

I should also add, this time I left the subs, spare tire, jack in the trunk. Also had a small cooler of ice, and two 2 liter Pepsis. I was just too lazy to take them out. I figured all that up to be about 75 lbs.

Couple of videos:
I think this was one of my slowest reaction times all day. Pretty typical ET and trap for the day.
1998 Mustang GT vs Camaro SS

Buddy of mine wanted to ride along down the 1/4. Raced a C6 Z06 Vette. Holy cow those cars are fast! He only cut like a 2.2 60' and still ran a 11.60.
1998 Mustang GT 1/4 Ride Along

Naptown_Stang

Reaction score
nice runs. i wonder if the college im going to next year has a club.....hmmm

IceMan

Reaction score
Not bad... Kepp at it... 13's are smiling at you...

OP
OP
S

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
IceMan said:
Not bad... Kepp at it... 13's are smiling at you...

Your sig says Wolfpack Racing. What car do you have/are you still active with the club?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nice,

a lot of people dont understand how easy it is to get beat by a slower car...you beat cars that trap 10 mph higher because they are FWD imports with no torque basically...theyre drivers sound like trash also but good kills nonetheless.

You would be suprised how many kills I used to get running 14.0 at 100 mph in my auto npi....

I would just stomp it,dead hook, and beat cars that run low -mid 13s all day cause they cant drive or cant hook like I could

hottwheels04

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
Nice,

a lot of people dont understand how easy it is to get beat by a slower car...you beat cars that trap 10 mph higher because they are FWD imports with no torque basically...theyre drivers sound like trash also but good kills nonetheless.

You would be suprised how many kills I used to get running 14.0 at 100 mph in my auto npi....

I would just stomp it,dead hook, and beat cars that run low -mid 13s all day cause they cant drive or cant hook like I could

That's why I want an auto in my next mustang, but they suck from a roll, so depends on how often u race from a dig lol

IceMan

Reaction score
I need to update my sig... I havent talked to those guys in years...

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
95gtjeff said:
justinschmidt1 said:
Nice,

That's why I want an auto in my next mustang, but they suck from a roll, so depends on how often u race from a dig lol

Yea...autos dont really shine from a roll

OP
OP
S

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
Nice,

Yup. That's exactly how it went. And their reaction times didn't help them either. There were a few times when I beat cars that ran a quicker ET than I did.

I don't care too much about racing from a roll; that isn't racing IMO and I don't do it anyway.

got5.0

Reaction score
nice times man! I sent you a pm... could you help me out? thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online