New 98 gt project

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just brought home a 98 convertible. The trans seems ok. But the engine has a bad miss. Going to get tune up and go from there. Not much experience with the mod motors. What other issues should I look at . It's been sitting since. 2013. The fuel pump was changed. To get it running. Looking to get it in good shape to eventually give to grandchild as first car.

Attachments

• IMG_20210502_143757819_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210502_143757819_HDR.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 21

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Plug wires is a good start. Make a round of reseating the plug wires to ensure good connections. I find alot of times the plug boots push the connections off the sparkplugs and coilpack post terminals. While youre at it, be 100% sure that no moisture/water is down in the sparkplug hole....them holes have to be dry.

Then replacing plugs and plug wires would be my next step.

OP
OP
Randall Garner

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have yet to do that, the guy I bought it for m did the pump. I haven't gotten it up on the lift to see if filter replaCed. Added to the to do list

OP
OP
Randall Garner

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Plug wires is a good start. Make a round of reseating the plug wires to ensure good connections. I find alot of times the plug boots push the connections off the sparkplugs and coilpack post terminals. While youre at it, be 100% sure that no moisture/water is down in the sparkplug hole....them holes have to be dry.

Then replacing plugs and plug wires would be my next step.
Thank added to the. To do

OP
OP
Randall Garner

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm going to replace sensors and coils while I'm going through it. Just to ensure ecm is getting the correct signals

weendoggy

Reaction score
Before you throw $$$ at it, do a compression and leak down test. That way you'll know how good/bad the engine is. If all good, spend $$$. ;)

OP
OP
Randall Garner

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks one last thing for everyone to chew on,. I did a poor mans injector test , pulling the signal wires, one at a time ,. Found one dead. Checked wiring with a test light and wiring appears ok. So if no change to engine. Could it be a bad injector. Already changed plugs and wires. Still going through the mess that's the wiring harness. Thanks in advance.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yes injectors do crap out. If its a stock injector you are in luck, cause a plethora of them are available on the cheap. Any bone yard with a 4.6l ford will most likely have what you need and wont cost much. Just be sure to match it. Make sure color, the size, and harness connections are the same. Ford began changing the injector types around 98.

weendoggy

Reaction score
Thanks one last thing for everyone to chew on,. I did a poor mans injector test , pulling the signal wires, one at a time ,. Found one dead. Checked wiring with a test light and wiring appears ok. So if no change to engine. Could it be a bad injector. Already changed plugs and wires. Still going through the mess that's the wiring harness. Thanks in advance.

Actually, you should be using a noid light to test injector harness, not a test light to see if it's firing. You can do damage to the electronics. Injectors can be a toss up on good/bad. Easy way, again before spending $$, is to exchange it with a "known" good one in your system. i.e. swap bad #4 with good #1, then if the problem followed the swap, spend $$. :) Of course, all things being equal would be to know if the engine is in good working order as I suggested in post #10.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Test lights are good for checking a lot of things in our cars but stay out of the ignition/injectors/airbags because as he said they can cause problems there

OP
OP
Randall Garner

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise. Did compression test. All within a couple # of each other. New coils, wires, plugs and injectors. Car runs nice. For something that sat for 8 years. Going to have to invest in new springs. It looks like a previous owner. Did the rose bud spring drop overly stiff and bouncy. I know eibach has a decent lowering spring set. Any other companies that are recommended

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.