New '98 Mustang GT on the block (and forums)

RussG204

Reaction score
What's up everyone.... I'm Russ from Long Island. Over the years I've mostly had sport cars as my daily driver (GTI, WRX, and an Alfa Romeo now) but I finally got a project car. That said I'm new to the Mustang world & this forum as I recently picked up a 1998 Mustang GT 5 speed. The best part is it only has 9,8xx miles! Yeah...its a 24 year old car with less than 10k miles on it. The first owner bought it new at the Ford dealer here in town and it never left the area. It was garage kept it's how life and kept 100% stock (for now).

Before I put it away for the winter I plan on installing a short throw shifter and a cold air intake to start the fun with some quick & easy first mods. Then in the spring the real fun begins. I plan on doing rims/tires, lowering springs, a cat back, and something more substantial for some power gains....I'm thinking top end upgrades (heads, cam, etc.), and a tune.

From there I'm not 100% sure where I'll go with the car yet, but I do know I'll want more power & should probably upgrade the breaks at that point too. Anyways, I know I'm getting ahead of myself here but I'm excited to learn from this forum and make my new to me ride a lot more fun to drive.

image0 (3).jpegimage1.jpegimage2.jpegIMG_1002.jpg

badass98svt

Reaction score
Sub 10k mile original car? Leave it stock. There's not many left

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RussG204

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll give it some more thought but I'm still really leaning towards upgrading the performance, handling, and breaking. That way one day it'll be a classic but with modern day performance.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
would not touch it
how many miles on it
if low , i would put it away on jack stands , cars in that shape with low miles worth more

95opal

Reaction score
Nice clean car. I wouldnt give a second thought to tear into it with mods. Its a 2v gt the must undesirable platform to collect. Mod it enjoy it.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
they say undesirable
well the crap thats coming out in the next few years
this car will be more wanted
guaranteed

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum. Lots of very knowledgeable folks here and all are willing to help. Man, what a beautiful car you found! Not very many like that left in the world, I bet. IMHO, leave it stock down to the paper air cleaner and air pressure in the tires. Make sure it's next-level clean clean, join the MCA, take it to a show, and bring home a gold. While I appreciate what you wrote about wanting to "upgrade performance", unless you spend waaay more money than you would ever be able to justify, i.e., turbo(s) and all the supporting equipment that would go along with it or a Coyote swap and all that goes along with that as well, you will never get "modern day performance" out of it as it is just not "modern day". Not trying to rain on your parade; just trying to save you some disappointment is all. If you just want to "hop it up a little" to improve the feel of it then carry on. However, don't be surprised when a WRX or 4-cylinder Ecoboost drives away from you like you're tied to a post. It really is a beautiful car and you scored a real gem of a low mileage example of what was available back in '98. Welcome. :)

Katstang

Reaction score
I've got 3 98's right now. I say, all stock is one thing some people appreciate, all modded is something other people like. It's your car and you can do whatever you want to it. As long as you like it and have fun with it, and don't care about the value over the pride you will feel in it, go nuts. Some may cringe at that thought, but that just is because they wish it was their car already so they could lock it up in a box and look at it only. Mustangs are the most customizable and personalizable cars made. You can get every part, every piece, every feature made for any year, on any mustang there is. You can get sequential taillights, adjustable exhaust, and any kind of body kit you can want for a fox body if you want, sky is the limit! If that's what your into, frickin go for it!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can see both sides of the coin here. For a project car I guess it depends on what your idea of a project is? For some it is just something they keep and do small things to here/there but for others its ripping out the interior throwing in a cage and then run, break, fix, repeat. It is a clean original mustang that some people really do find desirable and they are not making anymore, but either way it is your car so enjoy it.

badass98svt

Reaction score
It is a clean original mustang that some people really do find desirable

Let's face it, in the collector car world, the 96-98 GTs wil be the least desired among the 94-04s.
I wouldn't worry about modding it one but. If he is worried about it, he can just save the OEM parts to return it to stock, much like the Terminator guys do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online