New alt & PS pump

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to err on the side of caution and replace both the alternator and the leaky power steering pump. I upgraded to a 200-amp alternator and I figured while I have the belt off, the PS pump is right there, so May as well!
I’m looking forward to the install and putting the engine warning light in my rear view!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t remember the brand name off hand. Never heard of it, but I’ll check it out again when I get home. Got it from LMR.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok I just wanted to make sure you didn't get an ebay special. Years ago I upgraded my alt and put in a 200A and thought I would be good till 6 months later it started to fail. I took it to an alt repair place and they said that everything in the alt was good for 200A except the voltage regulator, you know nothing important....

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

MUSTANG SVE 200 AMP ALTERNATOR & POWER WIRE KIT | 94-95​

That’s the one I got

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ok I just wanted to make sure you didn't get an ebay special. Years ago I upgraded my alt and put in a 200A and thought I would be good till 6 months later it started to fail. I took it to an alt repair place and they said that everything in the alt was good for 200A except the voltage regulator, you know nothing important....
Lol. Yeah, not that important! ROFLMFAO

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Man I wish I had a garage! Don’t get me wrong, I’m grateful as all get out for the rain because god knows we need it desperately here in SoCal, after years of drought. But… I wanna install my goodies!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Finally, a day of no rain on a day off! Alternator install complete minus trimming off the old alternator wire. Everything went pretty easily once I realized I had to swap the old alternator pulley onto the new alternator. The SVE alternator came with a larger diameter pulley so the belt was too short. Swapped them out, and viola!

Next up: the Power Steering pump…

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I know! I’ve watched a couple of videos about the installation. Doesn’t look too difficult, just messier!
I intend to do as much clean up as I can in those once hidden nooks and crannies while I’m swapping it out.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How'd it go?
Pretty well , actually. Only had to swap the old pulley onto the new alt and the belt fit right back up.
I lost track of which wire going to the box was the old alt and which is the starter. But when it’s not raining again I’ll get the car jacked up, get under there and trace the one to remove

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, that’s done: old alt wire is out.
And now on to the PS pump…
Which, of course, requires an external torx socket (#50). What a PITA! Why couldn’t Ford just use a standard bolt?
Errrrgh!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
To install the new PS pump, do I bolt the pump in AND THEN put the pulley back on or can I put the pulley on and put it back in as a complete unit?

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
You can throw it in complete. Just make sure you press the pulley on, it's the only way really. Best to rent a P/S pulley install kit from the local parts store. And it has to go all the way down onto the shaft. You'll need to re-teflon the threads of the high pressure line into the pump. Not tape, but paste. And check the o-ring on the tip of the line if there is one, make sure it's still fully round and not torn.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oops, I forgot the o-ring (which is in tact and in good shape). I wasn’t thrilled with how it threaded in: not entirely smooth and the nylon gasket became misshapen as I tightened it down (but I have extras!)
Does the o-ring go on the side attachment or the back bottom line?

Last edited:

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
It needs to go on the smaller line which is the high pressure, on the bottom. Technically both should be o-ringed but the higher pressure line would have a teflon o-ring while the larger diameter feed line from the reservoir could just have a rubber o-ring.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a PS pump pulley? I wedged an extension in the pulley for leverage and managed to get it seriously stuck and with the tightening, I apparently bent it. Had to use the grinder to cut the extension in half then punch it through.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought the pump pulley was one of those 94/95 only things that made them a little harder to find and more expensive but I have never needed one myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.