New bellhousing or retainer bearing?

tvfan901

Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first post so I'm not 100% sure how the forum works, but I bought a 98 GT 5 speed a few weeks ago and last week the throwout bearing was bad, so I took it to a shop as I am not familiar with transmissions. The mechanic found out that the retainer bearing (?) or retainer bearing sleeve (whatever slides over the input shaft) was cracked in half, and he says I need an entirely new bellhousing, but I've also read that you can just get a new retainer bearing and snap it in.. My real question is should I shell out money for a new bellhousing, or should I get a new RB? Sorry for lack of pics and information, currently don't have the car available. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!!

07GtS197

Reaction score
Im not too versed in the parts of clutches honestly but I dont think youll need a new bellhousing. Your 98 should have a t45 and the bellhousing is part of the transmission case so youd have to get a new tranny to get a new bellhousing.

Edit: Heres a thread on svtperformance where someone replaces his bearing retainer so if thats what the mechanic is referring to then he doesnt know what hes talking about, unless theres something Im missing like it shattered and messed up the bellhousing.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?710301-T45-Bearing-Retainer-Tube-Removal

On a side note, I grenaded the stock clutch on my 07 (tsb I didnt know about and apparently neither did the po) and there were pieces that almost went through the bellhousing yet I didnt have to replace it.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Quite common to replace TB and the bearing retainer. You can buy a steel retainer that is stronger very cheaply Look at LMR or CJ Ponies etc ....and if you have many miles on the clutch just replace it too while the tranny is out. highly unlikely that the bell housing needs to be replaced. Look at the clutch fork for wear, resurface the flywheel if you can... replace if not & you are good for many miles to go!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.