new clutch and bearing retainer still making noises

BlancaStang1987

Reaction score
So I had a new clutch and throw out bearing retainer installed. Went to pick it up today and it got stuck in reverse, and is also making rattling noises from the transmission, and also a whirring / whining noise. I can also hear what seems to be the pilot bearing chirping. It has new pilot bearing, throw out, clutch plate, and clutch. Also a new TOB bearing retainer sleeve. What in the world could now be causing this???? It's worse off than when I took it in to begin with. Oh.....also, the clutch is super soft now. Help!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had a clutch replaced and noticed some slight noise right from the start. That clutch only lasted a couple of years and the next time I made sure I got a ford racing tob I think it was as everyone said to use it, nothing else. I still have the other tob that came with the clutch but I have not needed it.

OP
OP
B

BlancaStang1987

Reaction score
Need more information..
How much more information could I give really. He didn't tell me what brand the clutch was. Does it make a difference if i didn't tell him what my gears in the rear end are? They're 3.73.

OP
OP
B

BlancaStang1987

Reaction score
I had a clutch replaced and noticed some slight noise right from the start. That clutch only lasted a couple of years and the next time I made sure I got a ford racing tob I think it was as everyone said to use it, nothing else. I still have the other tob that came with the clutch but I have not needed it.
So you're saying "normal"?

OP
OP
B

BlancaStang1987

Reaction score
It sounded like when you're teaching someone to drive a stick ad they start of too quick and it kinda rattles but louder

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it can be normal, but still not good. Next time you go to swap out your clutch let us know and we can make some recommendations as to what lasts the bests. IF you just went to a mechanic and said to swap it then he probably used the kit that made him the most money or was easiest to get that day. The Ford racing TOB or bust has been a something known for a while now but its not something that comes in most clutches.

OP
OP
B

BlancaStang1987

Reaction score
He is taking it all back apart I assume to find out what is causing the trouble. It got stuck in gear, and sounds like there is slop in the transmission (like the shaft is wobbling around and hitting something). It MOST DEF not right and I refuse to pay this bill until it is. I just want my car back on the road. I don't know what to do, what to say to the guys, or where to go from here. Do I demand he drop everything back down and take the transmission back to the guy who replaced the bearing retainer? Or.... do I cut my losses and flat bed it to another shop that has a better reputation but twice as expensive? It wasn't doing this when I took it in, and now, you can barely drive it. Sounds like something underneath knocking around and jumping back and forth, then there is this whirring noise from the clutch as well. WTF.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you gotta give the guy at least one chance to fix it. Its only right since I don't even think it was his fault. If you are going to have him pull it then replace it with a ford racing version throw out. If its just your tranny going bad though then I am not sure its his fault either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online