New clutch kit & tranny

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So I had the MM clutch cable and firewall adjuster put in. Turns out my flywheel is toast so had to STUFF the clutch pedal all the way down to engage. Sucks. Didn’t work out for me.

So, a new clutch kit is on order from CenterForce. This should cure the flywheel spinning and not engaging to generate power. Can’t wait!! :)

Last edited:

joemomma

Reaction score
I wonder if that had something to do with your dyno numbers....

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I gotta believe it had a huge impact on the numbers.
We ordered the CenterForce 1 kit, which handles up to 464 ft lbs., which exceeds my numbers.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Supposed to get it back early next week; Monday or Tuesday. Couple of other jobs jumped ahead of me while they were waiting for the clutch to arrive. Here’s what the clutch kit includes:

INCLUDES: Cover, Disc, T.O.B., Pilot Bearing, Bolts, Align Tool

• 10.4" Diameter
  • 1-1/16" x 10 Spline Input Shaft
  • Holds Up To 464 ft/lbs of Torque
  • Weighs 22.7 lbs
  • Sprung Hub Disc with Organic Material
  • Centrifugally Assisted
  • High Quality Friction Material
  • Light Pedal Effort
  • Smooth Engagement

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A Chevelle got in between me and the arrival of the clutch kit last week, so hoping it’s done today or tomorrow…

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Unless aftermarket companies have gotten better since I've been out of the game, you still might want to try sourcing a Motorcraft TOB and Pilot.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OH NO!!!
I picked up the car yesterday afternoon, couldn’t help myself and did a lil’ burnout right out of the driveway of the shop and by the time I got home, couldn’t get 1st or2nd gear. DidI bust my new clutch kit already??

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OH NO!!!
I picked up the car yesterday afternoon, couldn’t help myself and did a lil’ burnout right out of the driveway of the shop and by the time I got home, couldn’t get 1st or2nd gear. DidI bust my new clutch kit already??

The mechanic called me having heard my burnout and said to drive the clutch regular for about 500 miles. Said he told me before I left but I don’t recall that. Void warranty. Maybe he told me maybe he didn’t. Maybe I was too excited to remember?!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, but did I break it?
And how come on the car shows I watch they pop in a new clutch and go bonsai right away?!

weendoggy

Reaction score
Yeah, but did I break it?
And how come on the car shows I watch they pop in a new clutch and go bonsai right away?!
I doubt you broke it, but pay heed to the "break-in". I've used CF clutches for over 20yrs without issues. I run the DF/CF 11" style and break them in for at least 500mi. They have served me very well. If you can put it in 3rd/4th and it works, it's not the clutch.

As for TV car shows, it's all drama and you have NO IDEA what they do/don't do behind the scenes. All for the drama.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I slapped my McLeod street extreme pro clutch in drove it around the block and to the gas station and then straight to running 7.20’s in the 8th . Maybe the clutch cables needs adjusting ? Put 25 or so passes on it that weekend thing still holds great . I will say this though I had a centerforce in just before it stayed in for 2 weeks

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt you broke it, but pay heed to the "break-in". I've used CF clutches for over 20yrs without issues. I run the DF/CF 11" style and break them in for at least 500mi. They have served me very well. If you can put it in 3rd/4th and it works, it's not the clutch.

As for TV car shows, it's all drama and you have NO IDEA what they do/don't do behind the scenes. All for the drama.
So maybe the TOB? Or cable adjustment?

weendoggy

Reaction score
Will try that and let you know this afternoon when I get home from work…
Also curious you only mention 1st and 2nd gear. Can you put it in R, 3rd, 4th and 5th while in N at an idle? That will say alot in your issue.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Also curious you only mention 1st and 2nd gear. Can you put it in R, 3rd, 4th and 5th while in N at an idle? That will say alot in your issue.
Just checked:
I started it up, idled in Neutral and it went through all gears pretty much seamlessly.
So what does that mean??

weendoggy

Reaction score
Just checked:
I started it up, idled in Neutral and it went through all gears pretty much seamlessly.
So what does that mean??
Check freeplay on pedal and adjust if needed. Drive it around and see how it goes. If all's well, break it in for the 500mi +/-

Another item is hoping the installer cleaned both flywheel and cover plate. Did the flywheel get resurfaced and/or new one installed? Just take it easy to let things bead in, just like good brake pads/rotors.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Check freeplay on pedal and adjust if needed. Drive it around and see how it goes. If all's well, break it in for the 500mi +/-

Another item is hoping the installer cleaned both flywheel and cover plate. Did the flywheel get resurfaced and/or new one installed? Just take it easy to let things bead in, just like good brake pads/rotors.
Not sure on the flywheel. Probably not part of the clutch kit from CenterForce. But I’ll definitely take her out, gently, and hope I don’t get stuck somewhere…
Clutch pedal feels the same. No loosey-goosey or free play

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.