New Day, New Problem

Vettn71

Reaction score
1995 GT. Actually, this is two for one day. My check engine light has been on since I bought the car in December. Inspection time is coming up, so I figured I'd take care of it. The most likely issue (code indicated the EGR) was the sensor (start with the cheapest, right). Of course, that didn't fix the problem, so I took it to a local shop I've had good luck with in the past. They called me up and said it was in the EGR, but couldn't tell me what the problem was. It could be the EGR, the crossover pipe, the heads and on and on. They didn't charge me anything, which was good, but now I'm left trying to narrow things down. I don't want to get into parts swapping, as this linker is bleeding me as it is. Any suggestions as to what I can do besides throw parts at it?

second issue is my instrument cluster. I've had this thing out five times this weekend trying to get all the lights and indicators working. I initially found two of the copper strips that mate to the connector were crossed, which caused a no charge condition. I fixed that only to have my left turn signal indicator quit working. The turn signal works, but not the light on the IC. Pulled it, found a strip folded over. Fixed that, but no difference. Changed bulbs with no difference. Pulled all the bulbs and reseated them. All the indicators for start up quit working. The left turn signal works, but the right quit. Found one of the copper strips broke off. Took and old IC out and swapped it with a spare I had. I had to repair a couple strips on it. Put it in and the left turn signal works, the battery charge light works, but no other indicator. I'm pretty frustrated, but i can pull this thing in ten minutes now.

has anyone had any luck pulling the bulbs, cleaning them with a pencil eraser and putting a dab of dielectric grease on the contacts? Anything else that might work?

TIA

Miserable Jim

GT Rob

Reaction score
Try cleaning you mas air I had a check engine light on and after I cleaned my mas air no more light

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
What code exactly are you getting?

As far as the cluster, my speedo and tack has been freaking out since I've had the my car. Very intermittent. A couple taps on the cluster and they'll read fine for then back to being wrong. Usually one or the other is correct at least. I did try putting a thick piece of paper under the foil so it would make a tighter connection to the harness. It did work for a while and now it's back to fubar. Not sure how you can repair your cluster short of replacing it. You can transfer the odometer from one cluster to the other. 94/95 cluster is the only ones you can use unless you want to re-pin some things.

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
I did transfer the speedo and tach from one housing to the other. It seems like I get different problems with each. The foil strips are starting to break off on the one, and the other housing is the one where the speedo burnt up, so it must have fried the circuits it attaches to. I just gave it up and bought one advertised as low mileage on that internet site. We'll see.

not certain of the exact code. The shop just said it showed the EGR. If nothing else replacing it would be the cheapest route. If it fixes it, fine. If not, then I'll have to take it this second shop and see what he says. This car really wears me out.

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online