New edge ignition timing

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Hi all I’ve been data logging now for a while and learning how to read it and I’m starting to understand what the engine is doing but now I have some questions.
Now I’m running a diablosport tune for 91 octane andante have added 2 degrees advance global on top of the tune to give me the following
my idle timing is between 14 to 16 degrees BTDC @ 950 rpm.
My cruise timing in the higher gears is 43 to 44 degrees BTDC but at WOT in the higher gears drops to 16-18 degrees BTDC. Now I know it’s meant to drop and I know why but do all my timings above sound correct?
How much timing can I add/ what sort of timings are you lit running?
Should I add more timing to the WOT and now leave the global timing alone?

next is the fuel, now I know that I should be using a wide band sensor to truly find out what is going on but I don’t have one yet so I’m just reading the narrow band O2 sensors. Now at only steady rpm state the O2s are flipping between 0.2v to 0.8v, now when I accelerate at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle they stay between 0.7v to 0.8v and one at WOT they pegg out at 0.9v does this sound correct?
Does the pegged reading of 0.9v at WOT mean I’m to rich?
If so I can lean of the WOT fueling
Also when I come off the throttle both O2 sensor drop fast down to 0.2v (lean ) and the timing shoots up to 49 degrees BTDC, as far as I can tell this is also correct?

this is all new to me so I’m sorry if the question above are simple and stupid

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
No stupid questions at all. You’re getting a very good understanding of what’s going on. Your idle timing seems fine, although the idle speed seems a little high. Cruise timing might be a little high too, I expected to see 40-44 ish on decel, but cruising I would think it would be around 30-35°. If you aren’t pinging though, leave it be. That’s where you’ll get your torque. It’s really hard to dial in timing without a dyno showing power output. My old 2v ran 26° at WOT with 93 octane in it. I would expect to see yours around the 20-22° range.

I don’t know how to convert voltage to lambda. If we know what the sensor is supposed to read at certain volts then we can do conversions.

Please do not take this as gospel though. I am only speaking from my general understanding and past experience. I am not a tuner and do not claim to be.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply mate. I set the ide speed to 950 because I’m not sure what it’s meant to be for a manual box. The diablosport tuner does give me the lambda reading but only when the hand held device when I try and down load the log the lambda it’s not shown for some reason.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Ok I will lower the idle speed tomorrow. just done another log and got this.

Idle -14-16 degrees BTDC @950rpm.

Decal timing between 44/46 degrees BTDC but some times spikes to 49 BTDC.

5th gear cruising @ 40mph @ 1476rpm with a timing of a steady 20 degrees BTDC and throttle at 17%

2nd gear at a steady 2600 rpm with a steady 41 degrees BTDC go WOT (93.73%) timing drops to 18 degrees BTDC and both front O2s sensors read 844 and 885millivolts THEY ARE NIT PEGGING OUT AT 900milivolts like I thought they was

so long story short :
On over run I get 45-46 degrees BTDC of timing with the odd spike going to 49 degrees BTDC.

at WOT which only reads in at 93.73% max (it will not read 100% ) so there may be a fault there or not ?from 2500 rpm in any gear timing drops to 18 degrees BTDC

crusing in any gear at 2500rpm gives me a timing of 41 ish degrees BTDC

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
When logging is there a set rpm to be at when you go into WOT to see what the timing is ?

I only ask because I’ve noticed the lower the rpms are when going into WOT the lower the timing is.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Idle rpm will be dropped to 780 in the morning and I’m sorry for so many questions I just don’t want to break this new engine :)

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Don’t let Frank get to you. He’s a turd sometimes lol.

Ask away. That’s the only way you get information. I remember asking questions a long time ago and not getting any help (until I got to this forum).

The timing on decel isn’t a huge deal because there is no load on the engine and it’s helping burn off extra fuel.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
That good then I will not worry about the decal timing. I’m going to advance the WOT 2 degrees from 18 to 20 degrees BTDC and see how it goes, the global timing I will leave alone for now until I get a wide band sensor fitted. On that not where is the best place to have a wide band fitted ?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Do you have a particular brand wideband you are looking at?

Could I recommend you get a 14point7 spartan 2 wide band. It’s a very simple install and very accurate.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
I was talking about where to put the sensor mate. I’ve not decided on what band to go with yet I’m still looking into them.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Just had a look at what you just suggested mate and a little confused. So I need a gauge with this set up?
Does it replace one of the front narrow band sensors and wire into the ecu?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the wideband will need a gauge to read it off of and it will not connect to the stock ecu in any way, its just for your info and depending on the gauge you can log data off of some. The sensor will go in addition to the stock sensors and needs a bung for it welded into place

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Cheers for that ttocs
Will it be ok to leave in permanently or just have it fitted while tuning?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
once you install it you will have a hard time taking your eyes off of it ever again. They are valuable in tuning and understanding what is actually going on in the motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online