New Edge Mustang GT brakes

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Brake newb? I currently reside a career at an aerospace carbon fiber brake manufacturer. Producing brake rotors for jets, helicopter, military( B1bombers) and all the indycars. Trust my write up and try to understand it. There are gasses that build up between hot pads and hot rotors, this causes fade...slots let them vent..or in your case , BIG solid brakes work better....properly placed slots cause absolutely no problems. Now if you want to get serious about brakes lets discuss carbon fiber. Carbon fiber creates absolutely no gasses, retain perfect shape when 2000°, and last nearly forever. imagine replacing yours? I would be correct again :)

I appreciate your degrading sarcasm, ..its inviting...10x ;)

OP
OP
martinbaca18

martinbaca18

Reaction score
If you upgrade to the Cobra/Mach 1/ Bullitt 13" PBR brakes (and I think it a a great improvement) you need to upgrade to the Cobra etc Master Cylinder too for proper brake feel & hydraulic assist....I love the Hawk HPS pads! GREAT feel & bite...fairly low dust great for the street.

I added Baer Decelarotors strictly for looks and boy do they deliver! I love 'em. No cracking or anything else to worry about so far looking perfect. I will be going to the dragstrip occasionally but mostly just hard street driving...I love having no brake worries & how well they perform, fun to wait til the last second on curvy offramps etc then haul it down quickly from the upper limits. I even have a machine shop thyat will turn drilled & slotted rotors if needed!

I was thinking that. Would the 13" brake setup fit into 18 inch wheels?

95opal

Reaction score
I was thinking that. Would the 13" brake setup fit into 18 inch wheels?

Yes

And tp think i wasted all that money on 14" slotted rotors just to look good. Think i can get my money back and put some solid cobra rotors on to stop better lol

Mustanger

Reaction score
I just like the BLING! I'm overjoyed they stop so well & don't crack or have other issues! I love my brakes....

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

RichV

Reaction score
Has anyone been launched thru the windshield yet?

On a serious note, I did bust out the digital thermometer at the race track this weekend. After a 25 minute GTS2 race, I measured both slotted and non-slotted rotors.
[MENTION=14727]96blak54[/MENTION], if the non slotted measures at 750ish after the race, what did the slotted measure at? :D

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Apparently your approach to data skills suffer because stating brand, make, and brake pad type all affect your analysis. You just cant look at solid vs slotted. Brake pad type play a heavy roll in braking. Yes new materials used today in pads dont create a gas when solidified with heat and offer better braking compared to the old materials. Most of you are going with what works well and in your budget. I dought you alone spent over $300 in the brake setup where as $2000gets you started in the right direction, but since we all on a budget....parts barn is our selection.....so cheap gas admitting pads on solid rotors cause brake fade. In the way you are looking at this, temperature has nothing to do with braking ability. In other words the brake assembly that maintains a constant temperature under stress and the elements will provide the best consistancy. Slots vs solid temperature differences means nothing.

I wanna apologize that you had to learn about braking technology from a guy that knows absolutely NOTHING about cornering,....which in turn I will not debate with you about because I would be yacking out of my butt ...

:)

RichV

Reaction score
Well, my data had both styles of rotors at 750ish. Not enough differences to quantify.

fair enough on my data suffering skills. But real braking I need is not from the space shuttle. I get the theory may be same, but engineers dealing with numbers often can't see the Forrest through the trees. Even tho they won't see it that way.

im still at, 10x no. Help cooling, no. So don't think I'd say I learned anything from you directly. But I did take note this weekend at cars running slotted or drilled rotors. A lot of cars running slotted, a lot more than I noticed before. Some race classes do not allow it, like mine, so that may be a factor. Carbon brakes do not have slots. But the higher end race cars do run them, hype or not.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Help cooling? ....is your debatable view clutched on my "10x better" cause slots help cool? If so...reread my post and edit yours.

Engineering im describing throughout this post is learned from trial and error with friends in the racing scene needing a solution for brakes on a tight budget. Autozone rotors and pads! Cheapest on the shelves! Dimpled and slotted worked the best because drilled rotors just broke. Although equally effective, they always broke. I also learned to strategicly place the slots for smooth braking. This alone is an individual setup. In other words you cant use the same slot geometry for a honda rotor and mustang rotor, completely diffrent.

RichV

Reaction score
OK, I'm done beating this dead horse. 10x and cooler is your theory. Stick to it. Go to Autozone, get their cheapest pads get their sweet ass bling rotors and go hit a track day with your 'racing scene' friends. You won't melt them just because your experience level is zero. But after you get some experience under your belt see how those brakes do. Even the grassiest of grassroots racers don't run part store crap.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Cooler is not my theory. Your ability to comprehend text is begining to show partner....lol Perhaps you surrendering to the unknown is a better fit. I do hand it to you though...you like to argue multiple unmentioned points.

Nowhere in this post was stated slots help cool. Nowhere was it stated brakes cooler theory. This is your grasp....not mine. Comprehension skills brother...??
Who is the person designing your precious brakes so you can race? Not you! But you do offer feedback so the designer can improve them.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Dang I thought my pretty brakes would distract you guys! .....at least I tried! Hope you all are done.

wmfateam

Reaction score
On an off side topic back on main topic, when you put new edge front calipers on an old edge, do they use the same bracket?

RichV

Reaction score
IIRC the caliper bracket is not the same. The PBRs have different caliper brackets.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
lol, what the hell was talking about running cheap pads? I didn't know CarboTech and Performance Friction was the cheap stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online