New Edge Mustang GT brakes

martinbaca18

Reaction score
I've been driving this Mustanf for a month now and the biggest complaint I have about is the brakes. I've seen a rear brake upgrade but I haven't seen any reviews on it on any forums. So I don't know if it improves braking feel and braking power. And another option I've seen (americanmuscle.com) is slotted and drilled rotors. The reviews say it inproves braking feel. I'm leaning more towards the rear brake upgrade because bigger is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wmfateam

Reaction score
Front brakes see most of the braking. Are you just looking for a good street set up? New brake fluid, good pads new, or turned rotors, should help give you good bite and pressure. I would stay away from drilled of you can. Besides several people saying they crack, the GT500 we have that sees no track use has already started to crack.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Rear brakes account for around ~25% of the braking if I recall correctly. Don't waste your money on upgrading those. A nice set of cobra calipers with 13" rotors and some decent pads will give you all the stopping power you need. The difference in braking you will feel by buying d&s rotors will be minimal. If you want to stick with your current calipers, at the least upgrade your pads.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I would say that people who say that slotted and drilled rotors give better feel are probably experiencing the placebo effect. Of course you want it to feel better, because you spent the money on it. Why think otherwise! Honestly, from what I've been reading cross-drilling and slotting a rotor is mainly for reducing the weight of the rotor. It is rarely ever used on real racecars, which is why I don't believe in it, and use a solid rotor. Best way to get some better performance is a clean rotor and a good brake pad. Going to a new edge twin piston has it's advantages, but doesn't really increase the pad surface on the rotor, so as much as you would think. Main thing to gain from that is weight loss, and they recover from overheating a bit quicker. If you can get them for dirt cheap ($50 is what I paid for a set), go for it, otherwise, just a really good pad and clean rotor surface will work just as well.

RichV

Reaction score
Just get your current setup working well with good components. Bigger is not better in every case with brakes.

1 flush all the fluid, use a synthetic DOT 3/4
2 machine/new rotors, blanks are fine
3 good pads, EBC, HAWK, Carbotech etc.

Not sure why you want to upgrade the rear brakes, but if you upgrade anything do both front/rear and any supporting component.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
As rich said, make sure your current system is running to its full potential before you 86 is. That said, cobra front brakes are a good investment, can be done pretty cheap. Or this if you happen to be running 18's :grin:

Drilled and slotted rotors are bullsh!t. It's just a selling point for cars because they look cooler. Will do nothing for pedal feel. Go with slotted or plain, never drilled. Also have fun dealing with this lol

rotor-cracks-2.jpg

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Don't forget to change the brake lines to stainless steel. The old rubber ones suck.

* Sent from tapatalk while sitting on the toilet at work*

OP
OP
martinbaca18

martinbaca18

Reaction score
Ok. I didn't think of flushing out the brake system. I'll do that first, hopefully I'll get better brake feel. And I've seen leaking from the master cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
martinbaca18

martinbaca18

Reaction score
So I found out why the brakes weren't that great. The last owner ruined all four rotors. I replaced rotors with new ones. The braking feels way better now

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Drilled rotor are worthless, but I have to disagree with slotted. Their will be no pedal feel differences in either scenario, stock , drilled , slotted, but brake fade is substantially reduced with slotted. Brake fade is when the rotors and pads heat up and your applying more pressure to the pedal only to discover their is no more braking effort. Slotting the rotors allows gasses created between pads and rotor to escape and the slots also adds wiping to the pans. Slotting the rotors also improves the life of brakes

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
You think 99-04 brakes suck? HAH. Drive any 1994-1998 than you'll see the 99-04s are way better than 94-98s, braking wise.

RichV

Reaction score
Drilled rotor are worthless, but I have to disagree with slotted. Their will be no pedal feel differences in either scenario, stock , drilled , slotted, but brake fade is substantially reduced with slotted. Brake fade is when the rotors and pads heat up and your applying more pressure to the pedal only to discover their is no more braking effort. Slotting the rotors allows gasses created between pads and rotor to escape and the slots also adds wiping to the pans. Slotting the rotors also improves the life of brakes

I can definitely feel the slots through the pedal.

Without getting into specifics, slotted rotors are supposed to help pad glazing. Not anything to help brake fade. If ANYONE has experienced brake fade on the street from regular driving I'd be surprised. Drilled rotors are supposed to help fade by allowing the rotor to cool faster, but they really just crack and have less mass so the benefits are somewhat debatable.

OP
OP
martinbaca18

martinbaca18

Reaction score
Woot woot. What rotors did you go with?

I just bought plain rotors from partsgeek.com. My brother installed drilled rotors on his RSX. He told me he didn't feel any performance upgrade what's so ever. He told me he bought them just for the looks lol

Mustanger

Reaction score
If you upgrade to the Cobra/Mach 1/ Bullitt 13" PBR brakes (and I think it a a great improvement) you need to upgrade to the Cobra etc Master Cylinder too for proper brake feel & hydraulic assist....I love the Hawk HPS pads! GREAT feel & bite...fairly low dust great for the street.

I added Baer Decelarotors strictly for looks and boy do they deliver! I love 'em. No cracking or anything else to worry about so far looking perfect. I will be going to the dragstrip occasionally but mostly just hard street driving...I love having no brake worries & how well they perform, fun to wait til the last second on curvy offramps etc then haul it down quickly from the upper limits. I even have a machine shop thyat will turn drilled & slotted rotors if needed!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I can definitely feel the slots through the pedal.

Without getting into specifics, slotted rotors are supposed to help pad glazing. Not anything to help brake fade. If ANYONE has experienced brake fade on the street from regular driving I'd be surprised. Drilled rotors are supposed to help fade by allowing the rotor to cool faster, but they really just crack and have less mass so the benefits are somewhat debatable.
If you can feel the slots in the pedal, you my friend have a junk set of rotors! The slots are not long enough or together. We can argue the specifics, but it comes down to properly desighned slotted rotors will prevent brake fade and increase rotor/pad life. Ive machined enough parts barn rotors for freinds/ myself and properly slotted rotors will improve braking 10x's with less pedal effort. Drilled rotors are quick, easy to machine turn arounds, but worthless.

RichV

Reaction score
If you can feel the slots in the pedal, you my friend have a junk set of rotors! The slots are not long enough or together. We can argue the specifics, but it comes down to properly desighned slotted rotors will prevent brake fade and increase rotor/pad life. Ive machined enough parts barn rotors for freinds/ myself and properly slotted rotors will improve braking 10x's with less pedal effort. Drilled rotors are quick, easy to machine turn arounds, but worthless.

A slotted rotor is a sloted rotor, no matter who makes it. As long as it's straight, there is not much difference without getting into metal content. I can feel the slots, don't know what to tell you. At lower speeds you feel a tick in the pedal.

If you know how to setup a propper slotted vs non slotted setup, and the slotted gets 10x better braking, you need to be working on a proffessional racing crew with this secret. I've had more brake combos on my race cars and street cars than rotors you've machined for your friends, so I know a little about the subject. Enough to know your 10x claim absolutely false. Go to a open track event and take note how many peole run blank rotors, then explain why with your claims.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
What your expaining is temperature variation. Properly slot an 8" rotor and experience the braking bite from over heated brakes were as non slotted rotors will fade. A big brake assembly can handle and maintane a consistant temperature, mostly low.

Big solid rotors are predictable and consistant, to the driver, this is important. Brakes get hot and cooled throughout the track, a rotor that maintains heat consistency is more predictably and doesnt carry a phantom brake issue that a once hot rotor, cooled before the next turn adding to un-judgeable/predictable braking. And like most racers, budgets interfere with selection of gear, ...solid parts barn choices. The 10x better braking from slotted over solid is truth. Bigger rotors do not require slots to aid in fade resistance because of its size able to keep a narrow temp band. The braking size assembly to wieght to be braking ratio is idea and able to maintain a narrow band of temperature while the smaller tiny assembly will heat up faster and cool fast creating a broad spectrume of temperature. ..in turn making them unpredictable....especially initial grab followed by fade. Maybe slots for the track is not idea but perfect for your every day driver. Take the tiny Gt rotors and put them to track duty! Youll say nope, they fade because they heat up to quick....brake fade! Also cool to quick, but a lighter assembly, gyro rotational weight is reduced, and the intial grab from a small rotor is a plus, but the down fall is spectrum of temperature. I dont want to argue and we both can "believe" what we will with our very own experiences. Slot improve braking...period.

RichV

Reaction score
What your expaining is running bigger un-modified rotors compared to un-available rotor upgrades for some vehicle's dubbed into racing. Properly slot an 8" rotor and experience the braking bite from over heated brakes were as non slotted rotors will fade.

Solid rotors are predictable and consistant, to the driver, this is important. Brakes get hot and cooled throughout the track, a rotor that maintains heat consistency is more predictably and doesnt carry a phantom brake issue that a once hot rotor, cooled before the next turn adding to un-judgeable/predictable braking. And like most racers, budgets interfere with selection of gear, ...solid parts barn choices. The 10x better braking from slotted over solid is truth, but very unpredictable for the track, but perfect for your every day driver. I dont want to argue and we both can "believe" what we will with our very own experiences. Would you be interested in some rotors?

facedesk-facedesk-facepalm-fail-demotivational-posters-1310644617.jpg

I got nuthin. :)

You're making zero sense. No experience obviously.

My slotted rotors stop exactly the same as my blanks, except they trash my brakepads a lot sooner. Agree to disagree, whatever. I just hate forsome brake newb to think he has to have slotted rotors because 10x better. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online