New Edge or Keep my SN95?

kvoriley

Reaction score
I've got a 97 Autumn Orange with a PI swap and Comp 270s. I've always kind of wanted a new edge, and a guy is wanting to trade me even for a 2003 True Blue Gt with a few bolt ons.

The next step in for my car is going to be paint, because it is rough and the clearcoat is fading. And that is going to be really pricey.

The 03:
Aluminum Driveshaft
3:73s
Hurst Shifter
CAI, Exhaust and Tune
Nice Paint lol (That's the biggest thing really)

My Car:
Pi Engine Swap
Cams
All bolts ons besides longtubes and UD pullies
Paint is rough and will be very expensive to repaint.

What do you guys think?
In these pics his car is dirty but I can't get the other ones to upload

9EF937F0-6E0C-444D-828A-052A1BADDD3B_zps27gej0nu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

908A42FB-A8E0-413D-B563-787ECA25D7D7_zps79glqoqt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

8302BB08-9F0B-4E9D-BD4C-D13BADF1815D_zpso0fwmz5k.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

6C944837-F648-4751-A8A2-E12088CA31DB_zps5a3p5ozn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The 03 will have more value and may be more desirable to a larger group of people BUT those of us that are into SN's will take your car most of the time. I love that color you have and would repaint and keep for a long time. Just my opinion though.

As far as $$$$ is concerned you are gaining if you trade. The 03 is probably worth 2-3k more to the right person.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
That's a tough decision, any reason he wants to trade? I'd look it over to make sure there weren't any hidden issues. Personally I like your car better, but it's all about what you want!

OP
OP
K

kvoriley

Reaction score
Yeah this is a tough one for me, I'm going to meet him tomorrow and look the car up and down and take lots of pictures. He wants to trade bc I just got to talking about it with someone and he heard about my car. I am 50/50 as of right now I can't make up my mind lol.
Thing is painting this car is going to be very pricey, and I have to start paying school loans back this summer, so who knows when I will have the 3-5k it's going to cost to repaint it

myk

Reaction score
Tough one for sure, as I like New Edge's also; one of my favorite Mustangs of all time is the '00 Cobra R and the Extreme Saleen. Maybe I'm just ghetto but paint isn't a reason for me to trade. The car and everything underneath that paint is what truly matters to me. If you are no longer into the car itself then maybe a trade is a good idea. You have a nice car though; I would paint it and fall in love with it all over again...

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Given that I have an unreasonable disdain for new edges, my vote is definitely to keep your SN. Or don't, it's your choice.

But if it were up to me, I would just save my pennies to repaint the SN.

GMSMOKR

Reaction score
Without a doubt.. Keep the 97... And respray it Crystal White.. Lmao..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
3-5k for a paint job? Geez, you need to make friends with painter. [MENTION=17027]whiplash473[/MENTION] is a nice lad.

OP
OP
K

kvoriley

Reaction score
Without a doubt.. Keep the 97... And respray it Crystal White.. Lmao..

Lol if it gets repainted it will be the same color.

for a reputable body shop yeah about 3500 lol. A 1500 dollar paint job around here, from what I've seen, is not the greatest in terms of quality
Needs a little body work as well.
On one hand I kind of want something newer, and I've always liked new edges, on the other I do like my car I have. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow, and go from there

Sinned83

Reaction score
Keep your car. I wouldn't want any new edge that isn't 4v

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
3-5k for a paint job? Geez, you need to make friends with painter. [MENTION=17027]whiplash473[/MENTION] is a nice lad.

Ha, a good job is $10-$13k around me at a shop. I charge $3-$5k for side jobs.

OP
OP
K

kvoriley

Reaction score

exactly lol. The 3500 quote was from a family friend, and I'm not even sure in the quality of his work either

kenny150r

Reaction score

I've always heard that prep work is where most of the money for a paint job goes... So for a straight car with minimal body work needed, where does all the money go for a nice paint job? I figure you take the car down to metal (which couldn't be too hard, right?) then spray primer and paint. At $80/hr labor and $1000 worth of paint, a $10k paint job would be over 100 hours of work?? I must be missing something

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've always heard that prep work is where most of the money for a paint job goes... So for a straight car with minimal body work needed, where does all the money go for a nice paint job? I figure you take the car down to metal (which couldn't be too hard, right?) then spray primer and paint. At $80/hr labor and $1000 worth of paint, a $10k paint job would be over 100 hours of work?? I must be missing something

Yes, you're missing a lot. And yes, 100hrs of work is achievable for a showcar finish depending on how many people are working on it. Plus the fact that I've got $1500 into my paint supplies for my mustang and I did the entire thing myself including shaving the engine bay. That's not even close to "top of the line" materials, but much further away from the bottom shelf. Keep in mind that these cars you see in calendars and Meguiars ads in magazines are using clearcoat that's roughly $500/gal. Also, a large amount of time is in the post-paint work with sanding/buffing.

So, to break down your post more simply:

It depends all on what's being done. It's often more cost effective to replace a door than pull a 4" deep gash out of it.

A straight car is a straight car, there's no variation. If it need body work then it ain't straight.

A straight car getting a showcar finish paint job would have the money going to prep (assuring everything is straight as glass), materials (as I tried to express above), booth hours, post-paint finishing.

You've obviously never taken an entire vehicle down to bare metal.

You're forgetting about the fact that you would spray etching primer, then primer surfacer, then guide coat and sand, repeat this step more for show-quality finish, then sealer, then basecoat, then clearcoat. And that's not including the mid coat on pearl tints.

Shop time is more like $90-$100 nowadays.

$1000 worth of paint for a whole car is not feasible for anything worth a shit. It costs me $125/pint for the Victory Red for my Silverado. Just for perspective, a pint (of good paint) would get used up before you even and close to finishing painting the door jambs.

kenny150r

Reaction score
Wow... I guess I really overlooked all the work that goes into a paint job. It really is an art; I wish I had the opportunity to learn how to paint sometime. If 10k could be spent towards an outstanding paint job, would less money, like maybe a couple thousand dollars, be able to take a relatively clean car back to a like-factory paint job?

OP
OP
K

kvoriley

Reaction score
Yes, you're missing a lot. And yes, 100hrs of work is achievable for a showcar finish depending on how many people are working on it. Plus the fact that I've got $1500 into my paint supplies for my mustang and I did the entire thing myself including shaving the engine bay. That's not even close to "top of the line" materials, but much further away from the bottom shelf. Keep in mind that these cars you see in calendars and Meguiars ads in magazines are using clearcoat that's roughly $500/gal. Also, a large amount of time is in the post-paint work with sanding/buffing.

So, to break down your post more simply:

It depends all on what's being done. It's often more cost effective to replace a door than pull a 4" deep gash out of it.

A straight car is a straight car, there's no variation. If it need body work then it ain't straight.

A straight car getting a showcar finish paint job would have the money going to prep (assuring everything is straight as glass), materials (as I tried to express above), booth hours, post-paint finishing.

You've obviously never taken an entire vehicle down to bare metal.

You're forgetting about the fact that you would spray etching primer, then primer surfacer, then guide coat and sand, repeat this step more for show-quality finish, then sealer, then basecoat, then clearcoat. And that's not including the mid coat on pearl tints.

Shop time is more like $90-$100 nowadays.

$1000 worth of paint for a whole car is not feasible for anything worth a shit. It costs me $125/pint for the Victory Red for my Silverado. Just for perspective, a pint (of good paint) would get used up before you even and close to finishing painting the door jambs.

Do you sand a car that's being repainted the same color to bare metal? I didn't think you did that on a repaint, but I also am clueless when it comes to body work.
I was told my paint was about 120ish a qoart

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online

No members online now.