New from Boston - need help!

bostonbeast

Reaction score
Hello!
I have a fully rebuilt '95 GT...but it was rebuilt custom back in 2005(?). Unfortunately, it hasn't run since maybe 2007; one day I parked it and never took it out again. It was kept in a garage and is basically in exactly the same shape I last drove it. Hell, I just hooked the battery up to a charger and its back to full after 2 days! Also, unfortunately, I lost all documentation of what was done to it and the pro-drag racer I paid to rebuild it (used to work out of Milford, MA) died of heartache somewhere along the way. :( I believe he stripped it, bored it, Edelbrock cam/heads/intake (it was prepped to hook up a supercharger), Tremec T5, new rear end, etc. I myself put a full Saleen suspension and wheels on it and I have the Brembo disc brake package in a box to be put on. Sadly, there's some mouse poop and urine stain on the intake, but the air filter is in good shape.

The goal is to at least get it running so I could maybe figure out what its worth to sell it.

Main question: what should I do to get it running again? As I said, battery is charged. I fear I should immediately drain and replace the gas and oil, maybe new spark plugs, but what else and what order?

Also, if anyone knows how to strip out an aftermarket car alarm system thats just OBNOXIOUS, I'd love to do that as well.

Thanks and look forward to any help folks good lend.

Brendon

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
pulling alarms is not a big deal. If you drop the dash and look in the kick panel you should be able to see the wiring and then its just a matter of cut/insulae on the majority of the wires. The door locks probably has a relay pack in there somewhere, just leave it alone and if the starter kill relay is also hooked up just leave it alone and cut the orange wire going to it.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like your doing all the right things to see if it’ll get up and run again. Definitely do the gas R&R, including what’s in the fuel lines. Obviously go through ignition components and if you’ve seen evidence of rodents, they LOVE to eat wiring! So, and I hate to say it, you may have to painstakingly go through the wires and routing for a visual inspection and R&R as needed.

There’s SO MANY things to consider and go over with a car that’s (1) been siting so long; and (2) sounds like a bit of a Frankenstein with all the upgrades, improvements, etc (no offense intended) that you may also want to consider “is it worth it, or should I sell it AS IS”? You’d have to weigh out and calculate the time, frustration and costs versus knocking some off the selling price and be done with it. At some point you gotta cut your losses and punt! Only you can make that call. An enthusiast might not be scared off by the tinkering at an enticing price. Again, your call.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
There’s SO MANY things to consider and go over with a car that’s (1) been siting so long; and (2) sounds like a bit of a Frankenstein with all the upgrades, improvements, etc (no offense intended) that you may also want to consider “is it worth it, or should I sell it AS IS”? You’d have to weigh out and calculate the time, frustration and costs versus knocking some off the selling price and be done with it. At some point you gotta cut your losses and punt! Only you can make that call. An enthusiast might not be scared off by the tinkering at an enticing price. Again, your call.
These, my friend, are words of wisdom and ones to ponder.
This was almost verbatim what my thoughts were as soon as I read that dreaded word MOUSE!

I got a great deal on a '83 Audi Quattro from a gal who was headed overseas.
Needed some work but clean body, not beat on. Didn't have room in the garage, so I parked it beside the garage to winter over until funds and time could be allocated.

Unbeknownst to me... my wife thought it would be a swell idea to conveniently stash all the varieties of bird food for our feeders IN THE TRUNK.

Short story...

NEVER
RAN
AGAIN...

...EVER

Words cannot begin to describe what wonders lurked past the back seat.
I'm sure stories and tales are to this day passed down by generations of mice of the rumored glamorous boutique 5 star HOTEL DE QUATTRO ~

Gregomatic

Reaction score
I've had this idea ever since loosing that car to vermin.
If we can put bitterant in compressed air and antifreeze,
why, oh why can't we put bitterant in wiring insulation?
Maybe it's a tactile thing and it just feels good to a mouse's teeth to bite through a wiring harness to sharpen them. But with a bittering agent?
What do you guys think, maybe it might be a valid deterrent?

On the other hand, I can hear the of voices of a world of hurried wire stripping mechanics cursing as they spit the insulation out. (amongst which I'd be one until I broke the bad habit of teeth stripping.

Bostonbeast, you said "The goal is to at least get it running so I could maybe figure out what its worth to sell it"
While that emphasis is mine, I agree with Daryl.
Consider carefully where the "worth" lies.

Unless your interested in driving it and enjoying it for a while before selling it,
I'm a big fan Daryl's "AS IS" idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online