New from Orlando fl

liontribe1

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 95 gt vert I'm trying to bring back to life
My end game goals are fresh paint, mint interior with LED lighting and aftermarket music
I need to figure out how to replace the top frame and find one to replace with
I would like to find some cobra 5 point chromed at some point

Also want to get my car making 275-310hp to the wheels and open to any tips on guiding me along my way
I would like the build to be very budget friendly and daily able

Well hello to everyone and thanks in advance for answering any silly questions I may have
614dd43821d7413c2587eaef1dcfbbec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lutter94

Reaction score
Welcome! Whats a cobra 5 point chromed? I assume wheels, but if I'm not mistaken 99.99999% of all cobra wheels are 5 spoke?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! There are a couple of us here local to Orlando.

Regarding your power goals, what's your budget? The following: stock bottom end, AFR 165 heads, GT40 intake, stock cam, aftermarket exhaust, 65mm TB, 70mm MAF and 24# injectors will get you in the 280-290 RWHP range.

OP
OP
L

liontribe1

Reaction score
I originally started with a budget of 1200-1500 as far as making my hp but I'm not sure if that's a realistic number, at this point budget isn't as big of a deal as doing it part by part I suppose
I came to this from my 04 gto which I had to part with

What would you start with first mcglsr2?

Thank you all !
Yes 5 point as in the 5 pint star cobra wheels but in chrome

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I originally started with a budget of 1200-1500 as far as making my hp but I'm not sure if that's a realistic number, at this point budget isn't as big of a deal as doing it part by part I suppose
I came to this from my 04 gto which I had to part with

What would you start with first mcglsr2?

Thank you all !
Yes 5 point as in the 5 pint star cobra wheels but in chrome

Yah, that budget is a little low unless you are able to find good used parts. The AFR heads alone will run you about $1500 new. There are other head choices out there that are cheaper (and also not aluminum, such as iron GT40p's). Though they won't flow *quite* as well. You may end up at 260 whp rather than 280-290 - not sure which is more important, budget or the hp/tq numbers.

As for order, it's kind of up to you. Exhaust can be probably be done first without affecting too much, and you get the benefit of a small performance boost and a better exhaust note. As for the intake, heads and fuel stuff, they kind of all need to be done to see any gains. And the trouble is you'll need to remove some to get to others. For example, to swap out the injectors, you'll need to remove the intake upper. If you are removing the intake upper, you might as well remove the whole intake and replace it. Stuff like that. If you don't mind removing the same part a couple times, then I'd probably go with the intake next (though you won't see much performance gain on an otherwise stock car). You could go fuel next, and upgrade the TB, MAF and injectors (and maybe fuel pump, depending on what you have). Again, you won't see much of a performance improvement. Then do the heads. That's when you will see the most improvement, with the things you did before it supporting it. I wouldn't recommend heads and then fuel, as you will need the fuel to support the new flow. So, if you had to do it piece-wise, I think that's the approach I'd take. That would require you removing the intake 3 times (once for the initial intake swap, again for the fuel injectors, and one more time for the heads). Or just save up and do it all at once.

OP
OP
L

liontribe1

Reaction score
So my best bet is collecting used parts and just doing it all at once/ getting it all done at once? What gears would you recommend for a daily car? I've seen a lot of different suggestions

And by daily I only drive it on weekends or nights when I'm off otherwise I have my work truck and the Nissan for toting the baby around

Austinx56

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 95 gt vert I'm trying to bring back to life
My end game goals are fresh paint, mint interior with LED lighting and aftermarket music
I need to figure out how to replace the top frame and find one to replace with
I would like to find some cobra 5 point chromed at some point

Also want to get my car making 275-310hp to the wheels and open to any tips on guiding me along my way
I would like the build to be very budget friendly and daily able

Well hello to everyone and thanks in advance for answering any silly questions I may have

welcome from North West Florida

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So my best bet is collecting used parts and just doing it all at once/ getting it all done at once? What gears would you recommend for a daily car? I've seen a lot of different suggestions

And by daily I only drive it on weekends or nights when I'm off otherwise I have my work truck and the Nissan for toting the baby around

Well, "best bet" from a not-having-to-remove-things-a-number-of-times perspective. If you are planning on doing this work over the span of a couple years, then it's no big deal to have to remove something like the intake a couple of times. Over a couple years is no sweat. If, on the other hand, you were planning on doing this within a couple months, then it might be annoying to have to continually remove things. It's up to you, your time frame, and your budget. There is no wrong answer, just whatever works best for you.

As for gears, I assume the car will be mostly (if not all) street? Maybe hit the drags every now and then or something like that? Do you care about gas mileage? Auto or manual trans? If manual trans, and keeping the engine mostly stock, probably 3.73's or numerically larger. If auto, you may want to consider 4.10's. The more power your car makes, the numerically lower you can go in gears and get away with it. The problem with really short gears (numerically higher) is that it reduces the rev range. So you spend less time in the revs. If your car is heavy or doesn't have a lot of power, this is okay as it helps the car accelerate faster. Once your car is making decent power, however, you should look at slightly taller gears to prolong the rev range - after all, you will be making good power in the rev range so why rush through it.

So really, gears are more about how you plan to drive it and the power you are expecting. If you are shooting for 280 - 290 to the wheels, 3.55 is as tall as I would go, and maybe would still recommend 3.73's if you want to get off the line super quick (just remember that first gear will become more and more useless the shorter you go). If you have an Auto, I would consider 3.73's as the tallest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online