New Gears.. Break in questions.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Tomorrow is THE DAY.. Dropping it off to have the following done. 4.10 Gears, Motive Bearings, FRPP T-Lok Rebuild Kit, 70MM TB, Ford Racing Speed-Cal.. My guy said about 150 miles for the break in period. Obviously that means no hard take offs from a stop, or random romps right? I'll drive it like a granny and just baby it for the time being. After that break in periods over, oh man I can't wait to let er rip and feel those 4.10s.. Should be a huge kick in my ass.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
150 miles? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Pick it up form the shop, drive it home, let the rear end cool down. Done.
You can launch your car the next day and everything will be fine. If something breaks, it's cause they screwed up the install. Gear break ins are partly a myth to cover up for crappy installs.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
150 miles? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Pick it up form the shop, drive it home, let the rear end cool down. Done.
You can launch your car the next day and everything will be fine. If something breaks, it's cause they screwed up the install. Gear break ins are partly a myth to cover up for crappy installs.

Hmm... Maybe I'll cut it a little short! Any time I've asked about gear installs, people always say 100-200 mile break in.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Sh*t no break in needed. I romped on my within about 15-20 miles after letting the fluid warm up to temp.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Sh*t no break in needed. I romped on my within about 15-20 miles after letting the fluid warm up to temp.

Sounds good.. Don't know what would need to be broken in anyway.. After its done I'll drive around for a bit, than let her rip a bit, a small tease

TanTop94

Reaction score
Let us know how she feels! Hopefully this will inspire me to get gears lol.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I replaced the fluid after 500 miles and the factory magnetic drain plug had metal shavings covering it. mosy likely just from the initial metal on metal contact. I had a picture of it but that phone broke so no longer have it. But if the shavings are stuck on the magnet i agree no need to change out the fluid.i also believe its a myth.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
[MENTION=16648]TanTop94[/MENTION] I'll def let everyone know. Right now, LTs, full exhaust, cai, 76mm maf.. Adding the 4.10s, tlok rebuild and 70mm tb should be going from having a baby kick you in the ass to Ray Lewis running through you like a freight train!

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Well...........?? The verdict is? Always wanted gears, myself.

Huge kick in my ass.. I mean so much that if I roll at like just under 10 mph and mash the gas, it just spinssssssssss. Car feels so much more torqueer (tor kee er LOL). Best mod to date.. It made a huge difference, i'm waiting a little while longer to really test them out. Curious to see the 0-60 with the 4.10s added to what I already had done to the car. Even in 2nd or 3rd gear (aode), if I hit the gas hard, it just pulls really hard.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I beat the living piss out of my 3.55s when I first installed them. Literally raced that very night. Break in schmake in I say. At least as far as gears go

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

stanggirlSN95

Reaction score
You break gears in gently?? Never.... My method of break in is drive it like you plan to drive it every day. I put gears in them rip out of the driveway to see how much more then have.. Have yet to kill any

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online