RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
There are more states going that route
So far my 97 95 trucks and my 9795 mustangs don't need them

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
94/95 came standard with cats and I am not really aware of a situation where it is legal to flat out remove them from a car where they were standard equipment. Your state might not inspect cars prior to 95 for them but I bet if you were to take it to an exhaust shop and tell them to take them off you will either need to know the shop owner fairly well, tip REALLY well or hope they don't give a ffffff. But as long as it never ends back up in a shop it don't matter...

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
No in fact as soon as my ranger is put together I'm having them redo my exhaust system with no cats

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
This shit is going away i just need to take the truck and have them match the pipe to the end16475628888124793321034067413846.jpg

chrisp427

Reaction score
I've got a 95 GT with a bit of an exhaust leak, so I figure it's a good enough excuse to get some new headers and get rid of my cats. It would be the first actual modification I've made to the engine, so I wanted to get well informed first. Ideally I was looking at getting long tubes and a catless h-pipe but the only ones I can find are BBK's and they say they only fit manual transmissions, which I have an automatic. I was also told that tune would be necessary after this to prevent the engine hurting itself. So the questions are, what are my options for headers and h pipes that would fit with an automatic, preferably on the more budget friendly side? Would a cold air intake be worth getting at the same time, and if so which one? How hard of an install would everything be? Lastly, will a tune be necessary or just recommended to maximize power?

Edit: I figure I'll do an egr delete in the process as well, so is that something I can disable myself with an OBD tool and later uninstall the related parts if everything works out?
I have a 94GT with 1-7/8 port 3” stainless long tubes. I had them custom made , changing my starter is a breeze. But they costed $$$$
I’ll list the guys info if your interested.

OP
OP
KidWithAGT

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
I know it's been a bit since this thread was active, and it's deviating from the title a bit, but I'm in a bit of a new situation that I'd like some input on if possible. It's come to my attention that my head gaskets are starting to go bad, an obviously I want to get those replaced asap. As long as a I have my heads off and everything, I figure I might as well put some GT40 or GT40P heads on in their place. It sounds like they're a direct replacement, except that the P's put the spark plugs at a slightly more inconvenient angle. Is that the case? My plan currently is to buy some GT40 heads, new spark plugs, BBK shorty headers, a catless h-pipe I found on jegs, as well as new gaskets/hardware and fluids. I was also planning on an egr delete while I was at it, not sure if the bbk headers have provisions for the egr valve anyways. Other than going broke, any issues with this plan? Will the stock intake manifold work fine? Is it worth getting high temp spark plug wires and GT40P heads as opposed to just getting GT40 heads?

joemomma

Reaction score
You can get 90 degree boots or insulators for the plug wires to protect them from the heat. Your intake should work on the new heads. Not to burst your bubble, but any GT40/GT40P head (or any head you buy used for that matter) should be gone through by a machine shop and checked out. That will likely add some cost (a couple to several hundred dollars depending on shop). While they're getting looked at, go ahead and upgrade the valve springs on the GT40/P if you have any thoughts about a cam down the road.

OP
OP
KidWithAGT

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
I was looking at buying these https://www.ebay.com/itm/163946189899?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28 which have already been cleaned up. They come with the valves and rocker arms installed, but I'm not sure if the valve springs would be good for me or not. I don't plan to get a cam any time soon, but I saw a few people saying that these heads were originally made for lower revving engines and that the springs wouldn't be good for over 4500 rpm.

joemomma

Reaction score
Those are a good bit cheaper than most name brand (TF/AFR) aluminum heads. Are they worth $700? Hard to say, depends on your budget.

OP
OP
KidWithAGT

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
I'm honestly not sure where to look and what to look for here, those just seemed good to me. The seller appears to be highly rated as well. Also aren't GT40 and GT40P heads cast iron? That would contribute to them being cheaper right

Last edited:

joemomma

Reaction score
Yes the GT40/P are cast iron. Those springs will support a pretty aggressive cam if you should decide to go that way. Just something to think about here - you're looking at close to $1000 by the time you get those heads and have the new springs installed. That's halfway to a set of really good aluminum heads. Were it me, I'd hold out and save my pennies until I could afford a set of aluminum heads. But again, it all depends on your budget and what you want to do with the car.

I'm in the same boat as you - my '94 has 158k on the stock engine and I'm ready for more power, and I'm flopping back and forth between just doing a top-end kit or going full on crate motor replacement. The smart move (but also most expensive, meaning I'll be waiting longer) will be to wait until I can buy a crate motor. But, the "I want it now" in me says just throw a top-end kit at it and run it now.

OP
OP
KidWithAGT

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll be going into college soon so my budget won't be getting any bigger for a while lol. Mostly I just want to fix up what I have and keep it working well with room for upgrading along the way. Later on I'll probably do an engine swap of some sort when I have the money and such. For now though, this seems like about the best I can reasonably afford

VDuBFan68

Reaction score
I know it's been a bit since this thread was active, and it's deviating from the title a bit, but I'm in a bit of a new situation that I'd like some input on if possible. It's come to my attention that my head gaskets are starting to go bad, an obviously I want to get those replaced asap. As long as a I have my heads off and everything, I figure I might as well put some GT40 or GT40P heads on in their place. It sounds like they're a direct replacement, except that the P's put the spark plugs at a slightly more inconvenient angle. Is that the case? My plan currently is to buy some GT40 heads, new spark plugs, BBK shorty headers, a catless h-pipe I found on jegs, as well as new gaskets/hardware and fluids. I was also planning on an egr delete while I was at it, not sure if the bbk headers have provisions for the egr valve anyways. Other than going broke, any issues with this plan? Will the stock intake manifold work fine? Is it worth getting high temp spark plug wires and GT40P heads as opposed to just getting GT40 heads?
I can't find a h pipe on jegs that isn't discontinued. Can you link the ones you found? Thank you

OP
OP
KidWithAGT

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
Well, I thought I had found one, but no such luck. I'll let you know if I find something else though

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Kid,
Im coming late to the party here and didn’t read thru EVERY post, but have you tried locating a muffler shop to build you one? I’m sure there’s someone in WI that can bend and weld pipe, eh! Plus, the heat of the torch will warm you up for a while! JK

Reaction score
Not in New mexico or Texas
As I stated 95 and older you do not need cats
And I believe he said amongst other states as well
The older the vehicle its out dated
Is what I was told
By a guy who does state inspection
He may have meant that they stop checking at '95. Otherwise, he is dead wrong. Cats are a federal thing-- if your car came with them they are required, period. The counties in Texas that do emissions stop at a rolling 25-yr limit. So my '99 will be exempt from testing in two years. But I could still face federal fines for removing the cats if it was checked by some sort of EPA goon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online