New headers/midpipe and intake.

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
I've got a 95 GT with a bit of an exhaust leak, so I figure it's a good enough excuse to get some new headers and get rid of my cats. It would be the first actual modification I've made to the engine, so I wanted to get well informed first. Ideally I was looking at getting long tubes and a catless h-pipe but the only ones I can find are BBK's and they say they only fit manual transmissions, which I have an automatic. I was also told that tune would be necessary after this to prevent the engine hurting itself. So the questions are, what are my options for headers and h pipes that would fit with an automatic, preferably on the more budget friendly side? Would a cold air intake be worth getting at the same time, and if so which one? How hard of an install would everything be? Lastly, will a tune be necessary or just recommended to maximize power?

Edit: I figure I'll do an egr delete in the process as well, so is that something I can disable myself with an OBD tool and later uninstall the related parts if everything works out?

Last edited:

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
you dont need a tune changing out the exhaust system with long tube headers
just keep mind your state inspection if you remove the cats wont pass emissions
the cold air intake is good

OP
OP
KidWithAGT

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
I'm not worried about emissions, my town doesn't test. I'm just not sure where to look for headers at this point though, all the ones I find say they won't fit an automatic.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Lmr summit jegs cj pony there are a few places
You can get the headers

Where are you located

OP
OP
KidWithAGT

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
Lmr summit jegs cj pony there are a few places
You can get the headers

Where are you located
I checked a few of those, but only ever found BBK headers. I'm in Wisconsin, which brings up another question actually. Does anyone ever run into ground clearance issues with long tubes? The roads around here kinda suck

Wmac

Reaction score
MAC had a set of long tubes that fit the aode trans, not sure if they are still in business. Might find a used set somewhere, otherwise, BBK unequal shorties bolt right up to existing h pipe. JBA and Ford Racing are also high quality shorties but no longer made.
Scrounge the classifieds and swap meets.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Some do run into ground clearance problems
I my self have shorty headers
You would have to check just about evey store
Out, in California there is a place called auto anything
That might help you
And like ttocs has mentioned its getting harder to get
The sooner you start looking the better

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I do not hear as many complaints about clearance as I do things like just general install/removal, starter replacement, or anything on the bottom of the motor really...

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
long tubes do make it a pain working under and around starter or transmission
i do know shorty headers are pretty common no problem there
one thing i was told today if you have a car or truck suv, if its 95 and older you do not need cats
and this was an exhaust shop that dose exhaust and state inspection in texas
so if you run into a problem getting an exhaust system let me know i would take mine off and have a shop that dose custom work and just copy the bbk
some of these shops are pretty good at bending pipe

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
im having them do my ranger exhaust and i do have the original cats on it no more cats on my ranger

OP
OP
KidWithAGT

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
If I can find a standard length catless h-pipe I might just pick up that and a pair of shorties, losing the cats would probably be enough for me honestly. Typically unequal length shorties produce more rumble right?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I have tried many different shorty headers and I can't tell the difference
Its mostly the fit I'm after
I hate super cramped areas or something that looks unsafe
Header rubs against hoses or anything flammable

TrickVert

Reaction score
I would only consider long tubes if you're looking to take advantage of other performance mods (H/C/I, for instance). LT's will cost more for no performance gain (or almost none), and make working on the car a PITA as noted previously. Shorties are prettier than the stock headers, but also don't do much on a stock motor. Removing the cats will gain you noise, stink, and maybe 5 HP, and the stock airbox setup is already a CAI and has adequate flow to support mild modifications. EGR is actually beneficial to performance and mileage, and lowers temperatures. but is ugly and often in the way. The only way to "program it out" is with a tune. Zip-Ty-ing the plunger partway in or using resistors to fool the computer only turns off the MIL, and since the engine is expecting some exhaust gas, but getting none, doesn't run as well, although the effect is probably minimal.

There. I've shot holes in pretty much everything you've thought about doing. (Sorry.) :)

OP
OP
KidWithAGT

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
Well, I need new exhaust manifolds anyways, and I'm not buying stock. I need a new midpipe, and I'm not paying extra for cats that don't help me. And quite frankly, I'd rather not put exhaust back through my engine if I don't have too. A bit worse mileage is worth a cleaner engine. I agree on long tubes, thinking about it some more I don't think it's worth buying them now considering I won't be modifying much else for a bit.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
one other thing to consider about the cats is that the epa has been cracking down on shops so bad that there are a NUMBER of them that will not touch a car that does not have them.

OP
OP
KidWithAGT

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
Well, even if my town checked emissions my state doesn't require testing for anything 95 or older. Hopefully it'll never have to see a shop anyways, I'd rather do everything myself as long as I can

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
one other thing to consider about the cats is that the epa has been cracking down on shops so bad that there are a NUMBER of them that will not touch a car that does not have them.
Not in New mexico or Texas
As I stated 95 and older you do not need cats
And I believe he said amongst other states as well
The older the vehicle its out dated
Is what I was told
By a guy who does state inspection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online