New Here, would like to know some info on 96-98 Cobras!

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
wopony98 said:
I love mine, 98 White Cobra. I also noticed huge gains once I put Headers on. I went with the Bassani Mid-length Headers and got 12 HP at the rear. Also, felt more response and drivability when I put on a single blade accufab throttle body. Didn't see any gain at the rear wheels but it sounded and acted better. 298rwhp, 303tq. Alot more bolt ons. I have basically every single thing you can bolt onto a Cobra. I will be going with the Vortech in 2 months. Can't wait for the power. I have been nothing but disappointed in the power gains. The 99-04 are seeing much bigger gains in the same mods.

so whats your FULL list of mods now? Have you had a final tune and dyno numbers on the mods you have now? I have long-tubes / x-pipe/ flows, JLT coldair, pulleys, K&N, and will be getting a custom dyno tune and from what I have seen with other 99's I should be around 315-325 rwhp. Just wondering if you have final numbers and what they are.

wopony98

Reaction score
I dyno'd the Cobra in Nashville, at Delk Performance and pulled 298rwhp and 302 tq. Added a TB accufab single blade and expect I have around 300rwhp and couple more tq. I have alot done to the car and I have been very disappointed in the power gains. The different heads make a huge difference in flow and HP gains. Especially on the 99-02 Cobra's. Supposedly the 96-98 Cobra Swirl Heads are awesome with forced induction. This remains to be seen. I will add my Votech this year and hope to see 450rwhp. I still need to upgrade my half shafts to the 31 spline and rear diff. Later I will forge the bottom end and bore it 30 over and sleeve it. I may change the crank out and stroke it to 305Cubic inches. Then I will see close to 600hp.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds like you have your game plan layed out :) mine is going to get either a ZEX kit or a blower later this year, not sure what yet its just going to depend on how the money goes. If I do go blower it will be a KB for sure, the smaller 2.2 version, a few guys around here have it with full exhaust and fuel upgrades and are in the 500rwhp range with "street" tunes. Just got to get some damn money :-\

mdheath

Reaction score
"98's had the Chrome Yellow and Atlantic Blue"

Is that pretty much the Canary Yellow???

skmcobra

Reaction score
94GtStAnG5o said:
Stock for 96 was 13.99 in the 1/4 mile. 96 and 97's came with upper front sway bars, while 98s didnt. Different wheels for 98 as well.
I believe he meant they have a Strut Tower Brace. All Cobras have a front sway bar or your car would nose dive in every corner you take. A stock 96-98 is going to run low 14's on street tires but with drag radials can get into the mid to upper 13's. Boltons and experience will get you into low 13's and high 12's.

blackfang

Reaction score
skmcobra said:
94GtStAnG5o said:
Stock for 96 was 13.99 in the 1/4 mile. 96 and 97's came with upper front sway bars, while 98s didnt. Different wheels for 98 as well.
I believe he meant they have a Strut Tower Brace. All Cobras have a front sway bar or your car would nose dive in every corner you take. A stock 96-98 is going to run low 14's on street tires but with drag radials can get into the mid to upper 13's. Boltons and experience will get you into low 13's and high 12's.
I disagree mainly because that is with bad drivers. I ran 13.9@101 bone stock and 13.8's@102 with a filter and shifter and 13.6@103 with an H pipe, shifter, filter, mufflers. I have seen a few run 13.8 and 13.7 bone stock.

snoball

Reaction score
410s, 150 shot, decent suspension will get you into the 12s easy. Go on svtperformance.com and look at the pinned thread written by rippinsvt, thats my buddy kyle and his car ran really good before, now hes going turbo though. So everything is off the car and now being fabbed up.

Scott 96Cobra(rip)

Reaction score
Silver95 said:
Hey guys, nice site you got here,

I would like to know the basics on the 96-98 Cobra's.

-What are the differences between the 96-98 SVT's? Did the 98's have any "bugs" fixed(if there were even any?) in the 96-97 years?What other differences do the 98's have compared to the earlier years?

-What can one expect a 96-98 Cobra to put out on the track?(stock offcourse) (1/4mile, 0-60, etc)

-Stock whp/tq?

-How far can you get performance wise with all the bolt ons and some nice gears?(just N/A)

Thanks for the info guys,

cheers.

I ran 12.9's all day long with long tubes and the other traditional bolt ons. No weight reduction at all. Just Drag radials ..... 1.6 short times (I wish I could do that in the POS IRS 2001 I have now). More details are on my site in the 96 page.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online