New Here, would like to know some info on 96-98 Cobras!

Silver95

Reaction score
Hey guys, nice site you got here,

I would like to know the basics on the 96-98 Cobra's.

-What are the differences between the 96-98 SVT's? Did the 98's have any "bugs" fixed(if there were even any?) in the 96-97 years?What other differences do the 98's have compared to the earlier years?

-What can one expect a 96-98 Cobra to put out on the track?(stock offcourse) (1/4mile, 0-60, etc)

-Stock whp/tq?

-How far can you get performance wise with all the bolt ons and some nice gears?(just N/A)

Thanks for the info guys,

cheers.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Stock for 96 was 13.99 in the 1/4 mile. 96 and 97's came with upper front sway bars, while 98s didnt. Different wheels for 98 as well.

OP
OP
S

Silver95

Reaction score
Thanks for the great links!

Seems like you guys have a nice car. How about mods? How well do they respond to bolt on mods? How easy/hard would it be to achieve 12's? Is it even possible with bolt ons?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Looking for a cobra......... :drunk: great choice, they respond well to simple bolt-ons and make excellent hp (tq could be better)

SMOKE

Reaction score
With the DOHC ... variants; 12s are acheiveable through tall gears, weight reductions and great skill. ;)

venoNOS

Reaction score
My 98 responded well to the bolt ons, I needed a tune though because it ran kinda lean. But other than that its balls to the walls in the torque band. I love it. I know a lot of people love there 03 & 04 Cobras cuz of the s/c, But I would'nt trade mine for one. Its the satisfaction of making one faster and banging your knuckles and sweating through it to get the job done. It really pays off in the end. Dont get me wrong, I love the 03 & 04 Cobras, They're AWSOME! But for the SN-95 Guys we can use bolt ons and throw a Kenne Bell or Procharger on ours and match the 03/04s if not more. Its all in preferance, SN-95,New Edge. :dancing6: I noticed a big differance when I changed headers and exhaust. The car came alive. Everything adds up. Every bolt on you install will improve the next and so on. Oh yeah they didnt put the clocks on the dash of the 98s, Thats another change in the years, Small change but another one. Happy Modding. :thumb:

94gtstang50

Reaction score
venoNOS said:
Its the satisfaction of making one faster and banging your knuckles and sweating through it to get the job done. It really pays off in the end. Dont get me wrong, I love the 03 & 04 Cobras, They're AWSOME! But for the SN-95 Guys we can use bolt ons and throw a Kenne Bell or Procharger on ours and match the 03/04s if not more. Its all in preferance, SN-95,New Edge. :dancing6: I noticed a big differance when I changed headers and exhaust. The car came alive. Everything adds up. Every bolt on you install will improve the next and so on.

Amen

SVT Cobra

Reaction score
Yep, 98's also came with some nice stock 5 spokes, and don't have the front strut tower brace.

blackfang

Reaction score
SMOKE said:
With the DOHC ... variants; 12s are acheiveable through tall gears, weight reductions and great skill. ;)
Honestly, You don't need weight reduction and great skill to hit 12's. Just some 4.30 gears, Mid pipe and exhaust, shifter, SFC's and suspension work with a Drag Radial and that's enough. Now with weight reduction and practice 12.5's can be done. I am shooting for 12.5's before I swap heads.

If the car is going to see some serious strip time or a heads and cams combo I would throw in some 4.56's.I plan on doing a ported C head, port match intake, stage 2 crowers and 4.56's.

As for the 96-98's
They have what is called B heads (swirl port) which are very good for a FI application where as C heads(99/01) are a good choice for NA setups.
The 96's had cooling issues but had a TSB which is expired to fix it. Basically they changed the a/c condensor, removed the honeycomb grill, and a few littles things.
96's had an underhood light
98's had the cobra 5 spoke wheels, no dash po, different cupholder and slightly more aggressive tune(not noticeable)
96's had Mystic
97's had Pacific Green
98's had the Chrome Yellow and Atlantic Blue
98's and some late 97's had different IMRC's aluminum I think.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
blackfang said:
SMOKE said:
Honestly, You don't need weight reduction and great skill to hit 12's. Just some 4.30 gears, Mid pipe and exhaust, shifter, SFC's and suspension work with a Drag Radial and that's enough. Now with weight reduction and practice 12.5's can be done. I am shooting for 12.5's before I swap heads.

If the car is going to see some serious strip time or a heads and cams combo I would throw in some 4.56's.I plan on doing a ported C head, port match intake, stage 2 crowers and 4.56's.

As for the 96-98's
They have what is called B heads (swirl port) which are very good for a FI application where as C heads(99/01) are a good choice for NA setups.
The 96's had cooling issues but had a TSB which is expired to fix it. Basically they changed the a/c condensor, removed the honeycomb grill, and a few littles things.
96's had an underhood light
98's had the cobra 5 spoke wheels, no dash po, different cupholder and slightly more aggressive tune(not noticeable)
96's had Mystic
97's had Pacific Green
98's had the Chrome Yellow and Atlantic Blue

tell em bout it :drunk:

badass98svt

Reaction score
YES, by a cobra. you will not regret it. i love mine

DigDoug

Reaction score
[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually the early cars had the aluminum. The '98s have plastic type material.

98s have a cupholder in place of the ashtray on the center console from 96/97

I think everything else has been covered.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Just got mine and I love it, neat sounding engine too, and damn these cars are screamers. As soon as I hit 4k its on. Hey badass, you still need that t-bird window?

badass98svt

Reaction score
nope, I need to get rid of the whole T bird now. LOL...

94gtstang50

Reaction score
lol, ok, i finally got the pos parts car towed to my house, I'm parting it out now.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Just a up-date here, on my 99 Cobra it took ...........full exhaust, 4:30's, pulleys and a JLT coldair kit with BFG Drag Radials to run 12.40's and even though I took out the pass seat, pulled the spare and jack my car still weighs more than you guys Cobras mainly because of this damn heavy IRS rear. But anyway just wanted to let you know what it took me to run under the 12.50 mark ;D

wopony98

Reaction score
I love mine, 98 White Cobra. I also noticed huge gains once I put Headers on. I went with the Bassani Mid-length Headers and got 12 HP at the rear. Also, felt more response and drivability when I put on a single blade accufab throttle body. Didn't see any gain at the rear wheels but it sounded and acted better. 298rwhp, 303tq. Alot more bolt ons. I have basically every single thing you can bolt onto a Cobra. I will be going with the Vortech in 2 months. Can't wait for the power. I have been nothing but disappointed in the power gains. The 99-04 are seeing much bigger gains in the same mods.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online