New. Here's my story...

Jeemee

Reaction score
My name is Jimmy. I'm 25, from Little Rock, AR but am currently staying in Milford, MA. I have a '98 CW Cobra, black interior (170,000 miles). I have a love/hate relationship with this car (keep reading). I'm the 4th owner I think and most of the mods were done by previous owners. Current mods that I know of are a CAI (I don't know the brand, its kinda ugly), a flowmaster dumped before axle exhaust (stock manifolds and h-pipe), pro 5.0 shifter, gears (either 3.73 or 4.10, dunno which), chrome cobra r's which I've plastidipped black, and I've put in a set of SVE lowering springs w/o isos, I tinted the tails, and it has some aftermarket headlights on it. I think that's it. It's pretty fast. I will take it to the track soon. PocketDyno gave me 13.28 @ 112 (for what its worth).

I dunno if I should even bother telling this or not. I will and if anyone wants to read it they can. It's long.

I bought the car in February 2011 from a guy in South Carolina. Drove from Arkansas (16hr drive) on mostly good faith. The guy was sincere to the best of my knowledge. It had a known cooling problem due to the fan not turning on. He replaced the fan and the CCRM and also added a pusher fan on the front of radiator for security. I got there and everything looked as expected. The body was in great condition for the mileage. No dings or dents anywhere. The paint was and still is peeling wherever it meets another panel or trim piece. Its safe to say it could use a new paint job. I test drove it for about 30 minutes without any problems. Everything checked out so I pulled the trigger. I paid $5600. I drove it back to Arkansas and even took it on the Dragon since it was kinda on the way (not really but it was worth it!). The day after I made it back home I was driving it around trying to get a feel for the car and BOOM! No engine. I was told the harmonic balancer failed, causing the crankshaft to move around. Keep in mind that I'm an idiot so bear with me. I decided to go with a remanufactured engine from the same company ford uses. It came with a 3 year warranty covered by any dealership. It took forever (2 months) to get the engine in and have it installed. It had a VIN # mistake. I dunno, wrong parts came in. Vin was corrected and noted with ford. I replaced everything that needed to be or would soon need to be replaced (spark plugs, a few oil soaked sensors, radiator hoses, removed add on fan too, also had the ac fixed and the cooling problem, went with a ford racing water pump and a new thermostat, ford racing king cobra clutch, think thats it). Okay so I finally picked it up and was driving home. I was babying the hell out of it. I made sure to take off and stop slowly and never took it over 3k rpms. I made it 21 miles and the engine locked up. At this point I'm pretty pissed. I had it towed back to the shop and checked out. The cause was said to be a wiring issue with the cooling fan that went unnoticed. The cooling fan never came on and it overheated instantly and cooked EVERYTHING. Thankfully it was under warranty. Warranty doesn't cover overheating. I convinced them to cover the engine and the mechanic covered half of the labor, but now all the sensors needed to be replaced and various other things. Long story short (lol southpark), I was out 16k for a car worth i dunno 6ish. It's done, I have a new engine, new parts, it runs like a champ, and it has a warranty. I'm content. A friend of mine convinced me to move to Boston for this job. I get there and get settled in and my transmission pretty much explodes. Well just the bell housing. I took it to Aamco, a TRANSMISSION specialty shop. I decided to get their rebuilt transmission that comes with a warranty. Same as the engine. It took them 3 months to get this job done. I also got a OEM clutch cable. It cost me 4k.

All in all I have spent Termi money for a stock cobra that I've had for a year and spent 6 months of that year in a shop. I know I know. It's done, I'm moving on. Love/hate relationship.

Pics from right after I installed the SVE springs. I'll take and share pictures of it now when the weather permits.

DSCN0039-2.jpg

DSCN0038-1.jpg

After wheels

562020_3546466896275_1110622161_33497451_1838799876_n-1.jpg

5.0kid

Reaction score
damn man, makes me not feel nearly as bad about my luck on my car :/ good to see you didn't give up though! and great looking car. welcome to the site!

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome! That's way too much info for me to read. Car looks great though. I like the black wheels.

OP
OP
Jeemee

Jeemee

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I know it was long, that's why I separated it. So it's all good.

JoeStang

Reaction score
god damn man thats a rough sting of events, props for staying with it

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Welcome . Holy fuck you got hit with a huge string of bad luck on this cobra man

shiftmx55

Reaction score
Welcome! I'm also from MA .Check out hollowpointracing.net , its a local MA based stang forum!

OP
OP
Jeemee

Jeemee

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check out hollow point out for sure. I don't know anyone really here. It's getting there.

mikey94gt

Reaction score
Hell of a story there fella, can i get the cliff notes version? Lol.

Also, since you have a white stang, check out the white mustang mafia on fb. It's easy to join, you already own a white stang.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Wow man! I'm glad you fought the good fight despite spending termi money. I say go ALL IN, and make it the best 98 CW Cobra on the streets. Welcome by the way.

OP
OP
Jeemee

Jeemee

Reaction score
Thank you for all the comments. Cliff notes lol. It's not that important man. Btw, I am a member of WMM on facebook lol. Don't worry guys, I'm definitely all in. I made that decision long ago. I have plans for it for sure. Right now, I'm concentrated on the brakes and suspension. I may have to put it on the bottle with drag radials if my friend keeps stomping me in his tundra. Drag racing isn't really my thing but he really keeps rubbing it in lol.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
wow, nice car, sucks that that happened to ya....it happenes with these cars man.

Barner1

Reaction score
Sounds like my kinda luck...It's hard to hang in there, but once everything is running right, it seems like it was all worth it. Car looks good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online