New Member $900 Auction buy & build

OP
OP
scca vette

scca vette

Reaction score
It has been a couple weeks sense we were able to get anything done to this project due to being busy at work along with helping the neighbor kid get his go-cart running. We had a 3 day weekend so we were able to get back on the Mustang project and we decided it was time to put some paint on it. We spent the better part of 2 days getting the body in decent shape along with fixing the 2 dents in the roof (the only real bad areas). We have a great neighbor that manages a paint and dent repair facility and he was nice enough to get us paint and clear at his cost.

1. sandpaper, mixing cups, wax remover, paper, tape = $45

2. primer, puddy, spreaders = $32

3. Paint, clear, reducer, hardener = $380 (with neighbors discount)

Total for all these supplies = $457 We are now $2917 into this project

I decided to start with the door jams and this was a way and area to teach the kid how to lay paint. I tried to be a patient teacher as I tried to teach how to go slow and steady, he seem to think it was a speed event and took some time to get him out of that mode. We did get all the jams completed and he did 90% of the spraying with me just going back and hitting a few areas that needed some attention. For his first time I think the kid did a great job and did not have 1 run in the paint or clear.

Attachments

• IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0564.jpg
    IMG_0564.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0568.jpg
    IMG_0568.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 25

joemomma

Reaction score
Nice work, looks like y'all did a good job. That color is going to look great on a SN95.

OP
OP
scca vette

scca vette

Reaction score
We spent all weekend working on getting some paint paid on the car. I decided to split the car in half and paint it in 2 sections to keep down the fog due to not having a paint booth. With the color it is there should not be any issues with it matching. I let the kid do all the spraying for the color and the clear and being he was learning he did a really good job. The biggest issue was him wanting to get too close when laying the clear. He ended up putting a couple runs in the clear but nothing major and can be sanded out (another skill he can learn) but the real surprising thing was there was no dirt or debris in the paint.

Attachments

• IMG_0608.JPG
    IMG_0608.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0613.jpg
    IMG_0613.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
scca vette

scca vette

Reaction score
The kid wants to use this to learn how to Auto-X while we are building the actual race car. He has a number (319) that he uses on all his dirt bikes and riding gear, and he wants to use the same number on the cars. We are going to do some number graphics on the door in black vinyl so I figured I would do something fun with the hood. Please keep in mind this hood was in pretty bad shape, but we were not spending money on a new hood. My idea was to put the numbers on the hood in reverse colors as what will be on the doors. We sprayed the areas on top of the air intakes with the gray color that is on the car and then placed 2 decals with his number over those areas. We then based the entire hood in black (the hood, rear wing, and rims will all be black). I then removed the decals and was going to clear the hood. After removing the decals, I found a few areas that did not look all that good, so I am in the process of fixing those areas before we clear the hood. Here is how it looks right now.

Attachments

• IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
scca vette

scca vette

Reaction score
All said and done the first half of the car looked pretty good after we got it uncovered and pulled out in the sun. After some cut and buff I think it will look amazing for what we started with and how much we have in it.

1. Black base paint = $40

2. Vinyl to make decal templates = $30

Total for all these supplies = $70 We are now $2987 into this project

Attachments

• IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
OP
OP
scca vette

scca vette

Reaction score
Nice work, looks like y'all did a good job. That color is going to look great on a SN95.
Thank you! I think it is coming out pretty decent and he is learning a lot as we go. It is funny when I first seen this color on cars I always said it looked like it was primer somebody cleared and was not a fan however after seeing it on a few cars and with some accent colors I grew to like it.

50HSN95

Reaction score
That is a cool color! Nice work also, amazing what you can do on your own when you take the time to apply some elbow grease. Fun project for sure.

Idlehands78

Reaction score
I love the color, is that Nardo Gray? I'm really liking the Audi grey colors, but I also really like the Porsche Arctic Grey from the new 718. It's non metalic and non pearl. Seriously considering painting my car this color once I replace the top.

Way to go on the build you guys are getting a lot of work done. It's great to see.

OP
OP
scca vette

scca vette

Reaction score
I love the color, is that Nardo Gray? I'm really liking the Audi grey colors, but I also really like the Porsche Arctic Grey from the new 718. It's non metalic and non pearl. Seriously considering painting my car this color once I replace the top.

Way to go on the build you guys are getting a lot of work done. It's great to see.
Yes it is Nardo gray (just called something else by the paint manufacturer). I was not a fan originally however over time it has grown on me and with the right accents i think it looks pretty good.

OP
OP
scca vette

scca vette

Reaction score
So over the weekend we were able to get some more done on the project. We got the back half of the car completed and it came out pretty good. I did sand down the hood and im in the process of redoing it now due to some areas in it that I did not like. All that is left to paint on the car is the roof and the rear wing. I saved the wing until last due to I have a couple ideas on what i want to do with that.

1. More masking tape and paper = $30

Total for all these supplies = $30 We are now $3017 into this project
IMG_0649.jpg
IMG_0650.jpgIMG_0652.jpg

OP
OP
scca vette

scca vette

Reaction score
On a side note the kid found a deal on another project (like i needed one). He found a 1989 Formula 350 WS6 car that the body was in great shape, the car has 0 rust and the interior is mostly in decent shape (odd of any 3rd gen F-body). The motor is a mess (the guy rebuilt it himself) however it does have a good set of Dart heads on it. He was able to get it for $900. I am now in the process of looking for a mullet wig for him.

IMG_0644.jpg

Idlehands78

Reaction score
So over the weekend we were able to get some more done on the project. We got the back half of the car completed and it came out pretty good. I did sand down the hood and im in the process of redoing it now due to some areas in it that I did not like. All that is left to paint on the car is the roof and the rear wing. I saved the wing until last due to I have a couple ideas on what i want to do with that.

1. More masking tape and paper = $30

Total for all these supplies = $30 We are now $3017 into this project
The paint is turning out really well.

I've seen some single stage paint jobs on cars that are looking pretty good. I'm considering painting my car the Nardo Grey cause I've always liked it. Just on the fence between a single stage and a two stage paint job. Do you have any recommendations?

OP
OP
scca vette

scca vette

Reaction score
The paint is turning out really well.

I've seen some single stage paint jobs on cars that are looking pretty good. I'm considering painting my car the Nardo Grey cause I've always liked it. Just on the fence between a single stage and a two stage paint job. Do you have any recommendations?
My personal opinion is base clear for sure. If you have not sprayed many cars and are doing it in an environment that is not great for painting, you can cut and buff most defects that come from these circumstances. I have only shot single stage once and went right back to base clear. Keep in mind the 21 year old kid that has never sprayed a car before did the majority of this with just some help and showing from me and im no pro painter by a mile.

Idlehands78

Reaction score
My personal opinion is base clear for sure. If you have not sprayed many cars and are doing it in an environment that is not great for painting, you can cut and buff most defects that come from these circumstances. I have only shot single stage once and went right back to base clear. Keep in mind the 21 year old kid that has never sprayed a car before did the majority of this with just some help and showing from me and im no pro painter by a mile.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I've only sprayed a few things in my life, furniture and a golf cart. Furniture was easy and chalk paint, the golf cart I did with rattle cans, turned out not half bad. Treated the rattle can like a real job and wet sanded everything. Very little orange peel.

OP
OP
scca vette

scca vette

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the info. I've only sprayed a few things in my life, furniture and a golf cart. Furniture was easy and chalk paint, the golf cart I did with rattle cans, turned out not half bad. Treated the rattle can like a real job and wet sanded everything. Very little orange peel.
Not a problem. I can tell you it is not as bad as everyone thinks. There is ways to keep debris out even doing it in your garage and with base clear you can usually buff out about anything. You can buy guns that are not real expensive at Harbour Freight and they actually will do a decent job for you.

OP
OP
scca vette

scca vette

Reaction score
Tonight I finally got the hood looking decent and the number stencils came out really good. I also added his logo to the front of the hood like he wanted. Throw some clear on it and good to go.
38737A46-E8FA-4D2C-9428-37E2A2D5A522.jpeg

Attachments

• 32BB9FD5-D681-4F0E-9AC7-4A6E45977318.jpeg
    32BB9FD5-D681-4F0E-9AC7-4A6E45977318.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 8361C809-BA14-4EE9-948E-CE2AA85C7E31.jpeg
    8361C809-BA14-4EE9-948E-CE2AA85C7E31.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 4

Idlehands78

Reaction score
Not a problem. I can tell you it is not as bad as everyone thinks. There is ways to keep debris out even doing it in your garage and with base clear you can usually buff out about anything. You can buy guns that are not real expensive at Harbour Freight and they actually will do a decent job for you.
I bought the Harbor Freight 2 gun pack on sale a long time ago, they were decent enough to get the job done that I was doing. I wasn't about to go spend $200-$500 for a paint gun that is going to spend 99% of it's life in a box in the garage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online