***New member from Socal***

codfod

Reaction score
Hey welcome, fellow SoCal resident here! Car looks clean, interested to see the build progress.

OP
OP
L

LongLostLatz

Reaction score
Ordered first batch of parts from LMR and MGW last night so I will definitely start a build thread soon. Nothing too crazy to start with. Mostly driving comfort related stuff. Pick up seat track extenders and manual seat tracks so I can ditch the power stuff. Also got a rear seat delete kit and an MGW shifter and shifter gasket. I'm still on the hunt for some Recaro seats out of an EVO8 or 9 but they seem to be much more difficult to find in good condition this time around. A few years ago I scored a set for 650 and they were in mint condition. Now a beat set goes for around 600. For reference these are the MR seats that I'm hoping to find.

e0ad59e4d471f291bc28d5c150c9782a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Hello, congrats on the purchase, i was going to advice to go with the 98 because of the revised geometry to the suspension. Makes it easier and cheaper. and 32v can rev better. I too am from socal and i actually ride with ReplicaR to some events. we are heading up to SOW on 10/30 if youre interested.

That shop sounds like the one that [MENTION=9209]ReplicaR[/MENTION] had a bad experience with. maybe he can chime in

ReplicaR

Reaction score
That shop sounds like the one that ReplicaR had a bad experience with. maybe he can chime in

F*CK Wild Pony Motorsports. Expensive shop, the guy is a shitty tuner, terrible engine builder, and you get charged fore everything, including for his own mistakes. If I were you, I would never set foot in there... EVER. They've been working on my car for years, doing small stuff, mostly shit I was too lazy to do. Then I've used them to build my first motor. The motor came out to be more expensive than originally planned, because the shop owner would waste time on doing stuff that he should have called me to consult with. The car spent 4 hours on the dyno, and could not even make one wide open pass, not to mention that it was about 50 rwhp down on power by comparison to a tune done by another shop. The motor leaked oil from both sides, broke rocker stud, blew header gasket, and cam retainer plate backed off (no locktite on bolts), causing the cam to grid off its distributor gear and send a bunch of metal through the engine. Oh, and did I mention that the torque on everything was all over the place? I know for a fact that the engine was assembled by the apprentice, who was pretty much working there for minimum wage. After taking the the car back multiple times, I complete gave up with that shop, and took it somewhere else to get it straightened out. And just for fun, the oil cooler line that he made during the engine build blew off during a dyno session at a different shop

Saul Gutierrez of Gear Driven Automotive (Extreme Automotive at the time) sorted my car out. The engine was pulled and completely redone, minus the piston rings and bore, because that was still good. They added main cap girdle, painted all of the accessory brackets, new main bearings, new oil pump, torqued everything down, replaced some bolts with studs, replaced the camshaft, and tuned the car as well, so not only did it make a wide open pass, but it also drove well, and made 360 rwhp instead of pathetic 308 rwhp. I would highly recommend Saul. He is flexible to work with clients, he stands by his work, and he does quality job. I can't really think of anything that required for me to go back to him, and ask him to fix it again.

OP
OP
L

LongLostLatz

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the referral. I gave Saul a call and he was very helpful. Definitely sounds the kind of place I was looking for so thanks for that. I'm going to order up an oil separator and the MM clutch cable kit with pedal adjustment for starters. I really need to get more comfortable in the car so hopefully the clutch pedal adjustment along with the extended seat tracks, and manual seats will help with seating/driving position. I also got confirmation that my MGW shifter shipped so hopefully I can get that installed by the weekend. Although I've heard it's better to use a gasket rather than the silicone to mate the shifter to the trans. Does anyone have any experience with the CobraBobs gasket? I've heard it cuts down on the noise and the heat coming from the gearbox.

Im definitely interested in checking out a track day I just want to get these basic things sorted before I do. I also haven't driven a manual transmission in about 5 years so I need to spend some time just driving around and getting a feel for it again. How often does that group run track events?

Thanks again

ReplicaR

Reaction score
We do Speed Ventures autox pretty often. It's a short course, but still fun, and you don't have to work the course. Not to mention that you get like 30 runs. The track events are a bit less common, but we do 2-3 a year. Anything ranging from Willow Springs to AutoClub to Buttonwillow.

Oh and BTW, Saul's old shop was actually on an episode of Overhaulin', the one where they did a 1970 Monte Carlo SS.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
i didnt use silicone or a gasket for my shifter. i cant feel the heat or hear the tranny.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I didn't have good luck with the Cobra bobs gasket. I use Ultra black.

The firewall adjuster will make the car much easier to drive. You can make the clutch engage where you want it to.

OP
OP
L

LongLostLatz

Reaction score
Ok great yeah with the clutch in its current position my knee is constantly hitting the wheel. With it dropped to the same height as the brake pedal it should allow me to extend my leg a little more. Sorry but I'm not familiar with Ultra black. Is that a brand of gasket?

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Ultra black is just a sealer made by Permatex. I know what you mean about your knee hitting the wheel, I am 6'4". I had seat track extensions with stock seats but I felt like the seats were too high. I found some Corbeau CR1 seats and mounted them to manual mustang tracks and with the seat all the way back the position is perfect.

I also have the pedal height adjuster from MM. Unfortunately with the pedal stop adjusted where I really like it the cruise control is deactivated. There may be a way around this but I haven't put any effort into finding it...

OP
OP
L

LongLostLatz

Reaction score
Yeah I actually had that same concern with the seats. I ordered seat track extensions and manual tracks and I was hoping to find some Recaro sport seats but it's not really working out. I was going to check out some 03 Cobra seats today but I'm worried that with the track extensions they would put me up too high because they appear to be taller than the factory power seats. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on seats only to find out they give me less room.

OP
OP
L

LongLostLatz

Reaction score
Sorry I will start one as soon as work gets underway. Just waiting on some parts to come in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online