New member from Texas. (but not new)

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
ill be 27 in a couple weeks. i AM old... i could die any minute now...

It’s 2021... ...any one of us could die any minute now.

My problem with being old is living in the 4th dimension. Driving the same car on the same roads... ...I remember when 6 lane concrete roads were two lanes asphalt, gravel, nonexistent. I remember when X was W, or just like with the roads, nonexistent. Nothing. I remember nothing. I remember when these cars were new. I remember when these cars were EVERYWHERE!

OP
OP
CobraSound

CobraSound

Reaction score
I know, right? Millennials are such fossils!

I’m not a millennial. Not even close. I don’t give a damn what the generational status quo says. No real internet or cell phones until I was already an adult. I had to call girls and hope their parents didn’t answer the phone. lol

I’m much too cynical to be a millennial. I remember the better world before computers took over and created a virtual reality. I was much more excited to read a new issue of MMFF than see a new story on Mustang 360.

yeah it feels like a lifetime ago. But I get what you’re saying...

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I’m not a millennial. Not even close. I don’t give a damn what the generational status quo says. No real internet or cell phones until I was already an adult. I had to call girls and hope their parents didn’t answer the phone. lol

I still remember buying phone cards and sitting at pay phones talking to girls :eek:

OP
OP
CobraSound

CobraSound

Reaction score
Well... there was AOL car chat. Which was a real blessing for my imaginary 12 second Fox body!! Good thing my virtual 60’ and mile an hour was legit!

OP
OP
CobraSound

CobraSound

Reaction score
I still remember buying phone cards and sitting at pay phones talking to girls :eek:

you just resurrected an old memory!
I also had a pager. I remember pissing off my gf and she’d page me a 3825 968 (F YOU)

OP
OP
CobraSound

CobraSound

Reaction score
Dial up was horrible. Took 3 minutes just to see 1 hd car pic!! (Or something else)

But hey! At least we had MTV still! Jenny Mcarthy and Carmen Electra... mmmmm

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I can remember most of the stuff you guys are talking about but never did I get paged f you hahaha that's some creative shit

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I’m not a millennial. Not even close. I don’t give a damn what the generational status quo says. No real internet or cell phones until I was already an adult.

Were you born between 1981 and 1996? If so, I don’t care if you were born on an Amish farm and didn’t see the internet until today, you are a millennial. Knew a ton of kids in high school that never logged into the internet at all. The internet was for neeeeerrrdddds!!! Ironically, they’re probably glued to Facebook now though. Does that mean they’re not millennials either? I mean, I am assuming that you were like me and literally graduated in the year 2000. We were the class of the new millennium. We were, and are, Millennials.

We were the ones that latched onto the internet before our parents ever did. I had a CD player that read CD-RWs full of MP3 files in my mustang back in 2000. 700MB of data on one disk. What were those portable jokes back then playing? 64MB? Sure, no one in college seemed to know what an MP3 was, or at work, or anyone I came across really, for like 5 or 10 years... ...does that mean they weren’t millennials either? No. They are the people that freak out over the sorcery you just did when you cast a video from you phone to your TV. Seriously, they are stunned. And they look at you like you’ve committed witchcraft before their eyes.

I’m much too cynical to be a millennial.

Dude, we practically invented cynicism. That was our thing. That’s why we also invented “Ok boomer.” Because they don’t understand our cynicism. ...and dark humor. We also invented dark humor. If you can’t laugh at a tragedy, then why bother having it at all? That’s how we got through 2020, and they didn’t.

I remember the better world before computers took over and created a virtual reality.

You mean Web 2.0? When it was on your phone, and mainstream, and everywhere? When your parents and grandparents were on Facebook and ordered everything off Amazon, completely oblivious to anything outside their walled gardens? Web 1.0 was a wonderful magical place before all the morons and assholes got on it. But you know, broadband was a problem. If you wanted to watch a video or listen to a song, you had to REALLY want it, bad. It could take you a day or even a week to download. There were streaming formats like RealMedia and QuickTime, but not really much out there. The good old days, in between when you had to use a web directory or web ring to before Google became more than just a simple search engine. I don’t know how’d we’d get through COVID19 if we were still stuck in Web 1.0.

yeah it feels like a lifetime ago. But I get what you’re saying...

Not really. I was supposed to have my 20th reunion last year, but I swear my 10th was a year or two ago. But that can’t be right either because I remember leaving high school in my mustang not too long ago. But there are stop signs and traffic lights now. Why did we not have them then? And if time is moving this fast... ...holy hell!!! My daughter will be graduating from the same stupid high school when I’m supposed to have my 30th reunion!!! God!! Will my mustang be in THAT homecoming parade too?!?

I had to call girls and hope their parents didn’t answer the phone. lol

Not everyone had their own personal land line. And the whole death of land lines really wasn’t that long ago. Like 5 or so years. They used to bundle it with internet and cable until they decided not to support actual lines. Like seriously, they went to our house, was able to get the land line to work by the box, but not support anything in the house. House was built in 1991, so what on earth destroyed the wires? They wouldn’t install/support a new construction? That whole one hub phone, with a bunch of wireless ones feeding off it became the thing last decade, and VoIP, till people asked themselves “what was the point?” Everyone had a cell phone, and the only people calling the new land line numbers were telemarketers, and wrong numbers (typically from collection agencies). We just didn’t use them because the only people calling them we didn’t want to talk to.

In college I used to call a boy up, who was two years older than me, and his mom would answer all the time! How embarrassing!... ...girls calling boys... ...plus this was before it became more socially acceptable for an adult male to still live at home with his mother, in an apartment. His land lines were installed in the 40s so there was always some strange clicking noise that sounded like someone had picked up and was listening in.

Thats honestly how I would talk to him. Long distance, using my parents land line, so I would buy a long distance card from Radio Shack, to avoid any issues at home. Local cell phone calls were expensive as hell, charging by the minute, long distance would be a nightmare!!!

Well... there was AOL car chat. Which was a real blessing for my imaginary 12 second Fox body!! Good thing my virtual 60’ and mile an hour was legit!

And that’s what led to the phone cards. Knew this guy since 1996, from AOL chat rooms. At one point he had gotten free long distance calling at work, which he would do on his lunch break. When the company got onto the group about it, we had to find other ways. We still email each other BTW. Using my same AOL email address.

Yup. The dial up struggle. GeoCities.. ICQ.. StangNet.. MustangWorks.. MustangWorld pictures.. The Corral in its infancy.. The good ol days.

GeoCities... ...published my first webpage New Year’s Eve before the world ended due to Y2K. It was important to me to publish it then because I wanted to enter into the new millennium as a l33t haXX0r! Sure, I was only 17, but this was going to be my realm. I was going to own it!!! I wrote the page completely using notepad. It was magnificent! Yahoo was foolish. This could have easily been MySpace. You didn’t have to know HTML like me since they had a WYSIWYG builder.

ICQ I only downloaded because people not on AOL, at the time, could not use AIM. But I only knew one person who didn’t, and then she got AIM. I mostly just wanted to keep a low account number. Like Google+ the smaller the number the more awesome you were! (So I thought)

StangNet... forgot about that place. Claims I was a member since 2003. But MyLittlePony was already taken by then. How dare they?!?

MustangWorks... ...member since 2002, I was actually able to get MyLittlePony on that site.

MustangWorld... Featured front page May 8, 2001
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select1592.htm
Before this, senior year, I had bought blue interior decals from MW, what they called “Door Jamz.” I mostly just wanted to see if that color worked with the car. This was right before Fast and the Furious, so, yes, at the time. it did, and I later replaced it with paint.

Corral.net. I mostly was a lurker. I don’t think I signed up due to yet another person having MyLittlePony. I was honestly on sooo many mustang related forums back then that the two I couldn’t have my name I didn’t really bother with.

Dial up was horrible. Took 3 minutes just to see 1 hd car pic!! (Or something else)

But hey! At least we had MTV still! Jenny Mcarthy and Carmen Electra... mmmmm

...And Daria. She was my girl! We went to school together! ...sort of... Got a bit confusing when I went onto college and she didn’t graduate till 2002. I thought we were both sophomores together. What happened? How dare TV time not sync up to real time!!!

I can remember most of the stuff you guys are talking about but never did I get paged f you hahaha that's some creative shit

I never knew the secret texting lingo. I had a pager that I was supposed to use if I ever got a voice mail. You weren’t supposed to have a cell phone at school, even if turned off, so it lived in my car. Only problem was, I didn’t know what number to call to check the voice mail. So I would just stick it in my pocket, while the other kids joked about me being a drug dealer. I took it as a compliment since I got so few.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CobraSound

CobraSound

Reaction score
My Little Pony... You can claim it all you want, as for me, Im pretty much done with all the labels. This era of PC and know it alls doesnt suit me and actually provides NO usefulness. Thats a fact. Not only that but I was not and did not run with folks in my age group back then. So many were so preoccupied by new ideas and smoking weed which I had already known about or did for years. It just wasnt all that.

Besides, the older chicks were always more fun. Though there were a few my age that were cool as a fan. Later.

OP
OP
CobraSound

CobraSound

Reaction score

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I thought everyone did that?
183 - "I love you" 1 meaning, 8 letters, 3 words....
Then there was "call me" - and "where are you" and "coming over" or "on the way"... etc.
You knew what it said just by seeing it several times. You didnt have to look at a phone all the time to figure it out unless it was an off message.... and even then you knew what numbers were what so it went pretty quick...(seconds).

Everybody I knew did that...

joe65

Reaction score
Oh yeah. I bought my first mustang in 2000. I was 35 then.

We used to show up at each other's door step to see what's going on. It was cash or check. Now i use google or apple pay, wtf?? Oh and there were only about 12 kinds of beer you could buy. lol

oh and the VH album 1984, i was at the concert that night after graduation from HS. yep in 1984.

Tazzy

Reaction score
Hey there just joined I'm from Texas also ...saw a out the wheels I have Saleem clones I know some don't like these but I think there cool and don't see them often ..?well I don't any way ..?this is my 95GTS with 18s...and I know what you mean about no Mustang shop any more only thing around now is American Muscle and CJ pony ...was bad when Mustang unlimited just shut down51298984_10213313773415217_6540465099876859904_o.jpg

Last edited:

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome (back?) to the herd! Sounds like you’ve got your work cut out for you. Keep us posted on that incredible find SN-95. BTW, stick with LMR. AM sucks! Also, LMR.com has a wide selection of tire/wheel sets in various sizes.

Tazzy

Reaction score
Not to bad She use to run great ....Drove her for 5 years with no trouble till I moved back to Texas ....?ain't that odd ....I grew up here ..??But I'm a bit frustrated but I don't give up easy and mynSaleen wheels I plan to keep I think they look great :-D and Tahnskf or the welcome ...here another of My fav pictures of Stormy 20191014_151732.jpg

OpalFrostGT

Reaction score
Welcome (back?) to the herd! Sounds like you’ve got your work cut out for you. Keep us posted on that incredible find SN-95. BTW, stick with LMR. AM sucks! Also, LMR.com has a wide selection of tire/wheel sets in various sizes.
Just discovered this thread. Interesting comments from the young owners. Also just realized Opal (our name for our 96 Gt convertible, Opal Frost with white leather interior) sits only 51 miles from LMR's building in Waco! What a small world.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online