New Member Intro - 96GT Convertible - Cleveland, OH area

SN95_Project

Reaction score
Hi all. Picked up a '96GT convertible for my son for his 15th birthday last July. Needs some work, so the plan is for him and I to put some father/son time into it. Had our first real opp to work on it today. We're in the Cleveland, OH area and plan to take it to some shows (not to enter, but to cruise around to).

Info on car:
Red (I believe it's the laser red, but haven't checked the VIN code yet)
about 93K miles
Body is almost perfect. No rust at all anywhere. I DO believe it was wrecked at one time and repainted. There is some "less than desireable" panel alignment in a couple places.
Motor fires up quick and runs strong
No mods as of yet, but we worked on our first today - adding a power passenger seat (we won't be doing much that isn't a direct bolt on as he's learning and I don't want to drop a ton of cash on the car). he bought a track assembly at a swap meet, but it appears that the motors are too weak to move the rack (but move it fine without the seat on it).
Auto - he'll learn to drive a manual, but for now it's an auto for him. Transmission shifts smooth. Fluid is in good condition, but we'll flush it before we do too much with it.
"fake" hood scoop. Son hates it, but I'm not risking the paint to remove it and I'm not paying for a paint job. LOL.

Needs:
- Top itself doesn't leak, but there are a couple places where water gets between seals and glass. Not sure if I can just adjust it, if it will need a weatherstrip kit, or if it will need completely replaced (done - bought new weatherstrip for sides and windshield - also got a new sailcloth top. looks great!)
- ABS light is on
- Steering rack leaks (NVM - rack is good! it was the oil filter connector)
- Cruise not working (thinking it might have something to do with ABS light)
- AC condenser drain line broken (I actually did this on accident...). Leaks condensate into the passenger side floor. (fixed this with 2-part epoxy!)
- rear suspension - one side sits about 1 1/2" higher than the other. Hoping it's just new rear suspension. (done - I think there's some frame twist though)
- stereo wiring - Stereo install looks "ok", but obviously done by someone that wasn't 100% on their ability. Will need to remove and reinstall. Also, they put subs and amp in trunk, but didn't build it in a way that you can get to the spare tire! Will need to adjust. (done - made the system modular and you can pull subs easily now and get to the spare area)
- Will also replace front suspension. Has aftermarket wheels (nothing fancy), but want to make the ride as much of a stock feel as we can. It's not going to go to the track. (done - just need to adjust ride height now)
- low oil light occasionally comes on when it's parked at a steep incline. Oil is not low though.

I hope to start a build thread on it. Will post in the correct forum. Always willing to help where we can, if it's something we've already done. If anyone has any pointers for the "needs" list above, we're all ears!

Pic attached. There's a LOT less crap in the garage now as well. This was from when I bought it. Just got a 10x20 shed delivered and all the yard stuff is in there now.

**edits** - fixed some spelling errors I missed.

Attachments

• IMG_6579.jpg
    IMG_6579.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Looks great! Welcome to the forums. Loads of info and great people hang around here. They always willing to help.

I too have recently bought a 97 gt. I bought the car for me and my sons to wrench on. Car looks great all around, but where it sat in one spot with flat tires for awhile due to its blown engine, the under side is very rusty. We need to get it up on jack stands to get a better look, so that we can decide how deep we want this project to go.

Enough about me. Im glad youre here and i think its great that you choose a mustang for your sons 1st car! Post pics and share often.

Griffin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Hi all. Picked up a '96GT convertible for my son for his 15th birthday last July. Needs some work, so the plan is for him and I to put some father/son time into it. Had our first real opp to work on it today. We're in the Cleveland, OH area and plan to take it to some shows (not to enter, but to cruise around to).

Info on car:
about 93K miles
Body is almost perfect. No rust at all anywhere. I DO believe it was wrecked at one time and repainted. There is some "less than desireable" panel alignment in a couple places.
No mods as of yet, but we worked on our first today - adding a power passenger seat (we won't be doing much that isn't a direct bolt on as he's learning and I don't want to drop a ton of cash on the car). he bought a track assembly at a swap meet, but it appears that the motors are too weak to move the rack (but move it fine without the seat on it).
Auto - he'll learn to drive a manual, but for now it's an auto for him. Transmission shifts smooth. Fluid is in good condition, but we'll flush it before we do too much with it.
"fake" hood scoop. Son hates it, but I'm not risking the paint to remove it and I'm not paying for a paint job. LOL.

Needs:
- Top itself doesn't leak, but there are a couple places where water gets between seals and glass. Not sure if I can just adjust it, if it will need a weatherstrip kit, or if it will need completely replaced
- ABS light is on
- Steering rack leaks (plan to put a new one in)
- AC condenser drain line broken (I actually did this on accident...). Leaks condensate into the passenger side floor.
- rear suspension - one side sits about 1 1/2" higher than the other. Hoping it's just new rear suspension.
- stereo wiring - Stereo install looks "ok", but obviously done by someone that wasn't 100% on their ability. Will need to remove and reinstall. Also, they put subs and amp in trunk, but didn't build it in a way that you can get to the spare tire! Will need to adjust.
- Will also replace front suspension. Has aftermarket wheels (nothing fancy), but want to make the ride as much of a stock feel as we can. It's not going to go to the track.
- low oil light occasionally comes on when it's parked at a steep incline. Oil is not low though.

I hope to start a build thread on it. Will post in the correct forum. Always willing to help where we can, if it's something we've already done. If anyone has any pointers for the "needs" list above, we're all ears!

Pic attached. There's a LOT less crap in the garage now as well. This was from when I bought it. Just got a 10x20 shed delivered and all the yard stuff is in there now.

Welcome to the forum! That’s awesome you are doing this with your son. After it’s all fixed up the to the liking of you both, it will give the car so much more value than buying a new one and just going. Also lovee the fact he will be learning manual. Always good to have that in his back pocket.

OP
OP
S

SN95_Project

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! That’s awesome you are doing this with your son. After it’s all fixed up the to the liking of you both, it will give the car so much more value than buying a new one and just going. Also lovee the fact he will be learning manual. Always good to have that in his back pocket.
the manual is a must for anyone, IMO. Has nothing to do with performance either. Example - my freshman year of college, I came home for a wedding and went with a couple friends. The driver had a new-ish mustang with manual. Both him and the other buddy got absolutely blasted. I noticed early and got his keys. Not 100% sure what would have happened if I hadn't been completely comfortable driving us home.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Hi neighbor! Welcome to the herd. My wife and I love our 98 ragtops. You are doing a great thing with your kid.

Ronnied

Reaction score
Great looking drop top. I have a project as well. Glad to see my garage is not the only one used for so many useful things...lol. Here are a few pics of the new heartbeat. Very minor stuff.Resized_20220512_212955.jpegResized_20220512_213000.jpeg

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to The Forum!

I had the ABS light on issue. I was told to clean the ABS sensors. Did that. Light stayed on for a turn or two and has been off ever since. I hate when idiot lights stay on!!

Go Steelers! (sorry, had to!)

SN95.oh

Reaction score

Info on car:
about 93K miles

Needs:
- Top itself doesn't leak, but there are a couple places where water gets between seals and glass. Not sure if I can just adjust it, if it will need a weatherstrip kit, or if it will need completely replaced
- ABS light is on
- AC condenser drain line broken (I actually did this on accident...). Leaks condensate into the passenger side floor.
- rear suspension - one side sits about 1 1/2" higher than the other. Hoping it's just new rear suspension.
- stereo wiring - Stereo install looks "ok", but obviously done by someone that wasn't 100% on their ability. Will need to remove and reinstall. Also, they put subs and amp in trunk, but didn't build it in a way that you can get to the spare tire! Will need to adjust.
- Will also replace front suspension. Has aftermarket wheels (nothing fancy), but want to make the ride as much of a stock feel as we can. It's not going to go to the track.

where did you pull this out of ? I remember looking at one just like it

OP
OP
S

SN95_Project

Reaction score
ya thats the one, it was nice... glad it went to a good home
Yeah, I’m happy with it given the overall condition and overall used car market. Not thrilled that it was misrepresented in a few areas (like the abs that I mention on the forums). My son is in love with it though and it has been a good car so far so all in all it was a win for me.

SN95.oh

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m happy with it given the overall condition and overall used car market. Not thrilled that it was misrepresented in a few areas (like the abs that I mention on the forums). My son is in love with it though and it has been a good car so far so all in all it was a win for me.
thats awesome, hey for its age its in mint shape...talk about a kick ass first car, you win dad of the year my man

NXcoupe

Reaction score

Info on car:
about 93K miles

Needs:
- ABS light is on

Welcome, I'm northeast of Cincy, and I have a 94 yellow GT and my wife has a yellow 98 GT vert. I have tons of parts if you end up needing something. I'm trying to get rid of all my extra stuff. I also have a dyno and tune these, not that you'll need that. It's probably fast enough as is for a 16 yo.
Abs can be module or a sensor. Have the codes pulled and it will tell you what's wrong. I know there's a way to do it without a scan tool, but I can't recall how.
Rear sagging could be rear springs, hope that's what it is. Good luck and check out the nmra race and show at norwalk this summer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online