New member, old question

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by slow5poh, May 4, 2014.

1. slow5poh

slow5poh New Member

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I have a 1998 Mustang GT. Does anyone know who makes a catted full length H pipe for my car? I only can seem to find X-pipes. I live in CA, and have heard aftermarket h/x catted pipes do not pass CA emissions. However, I have to replace the transmission, and really don't want to put that rusty six cat monstrosity back in the car. Thx! BTW, can I not upload pics from my computer? I have to use a photobucket type?

2. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

Welcome. I don't think anyone makes full length catted H-pipes for our cars since the stock one is basically that. You can always just use the stock mid-pipe for emissions and then swap it out right after. And yes, you will have to host the images online then paste the [​IMG]

3. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

What you could do is buy an offroad H pipe made for your car, and a set of high flow mini cats separate from that H pipe. Bring it to an exhaust shop and have them weld those cats onto the H pipe. There's your high flow catted H.

4. slow5poh

slow5poh New Member

I never liked o/r pipes. Had one on my 92 Gt and thought It made low end torque worse. I think these cars need the added backpressure. Well, I guess I could go with a x-pipe. I see u live in CA, what midpipe are you running?

5. slow5poh

slow5poh New Member

The five ohh, that's not a bad idea either

6. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

It won't be an offroad pipe. Your just buying an offroad midpipe, and adding cats to it. Which essentially is exactly what you buy when you get a catted X, H, prochamber etc.. Its just an offroad midpipe with high flow cats welded onto it, more so they're just clamped on. X pipes sound really good on 4.6s. Same thing, buy a pypes offroad X, or BBK, UPR. Latemodelrestoration.com sells 2.5'' Mini High Flow cats for a little over $100. Might be cheaper do that and have them welded on than buying a catted X.

7. slow5poh

slow5poh New Member

im sorry that reply was meant for ferocious

8. slow5poh

slow5poh New Member

I think some one put the delta 44 flows on it, cause it is not very loud at all. I might just go with an X, but keep hearing only the 6 cat pipe will pass a CA visual smog inspection. However, i took the 4- cat h pipe off my 1992 GT and put a 2-cat h pipe from BBk and it passed, the guy never even looked under the car. I imagine if I put larger diameter x pipe, i will need larger tail pipes also

9. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

I am running an off road x-pipe on mine. I gave California emissions the finger a long time ago. I don't have time to deal with this state's stupid smog laws. My friends in LA take care of me. Also, becareful of adding in hi-flows. Alot of smog shops in California will not pass you if you've tampered with the exhaust system, whether it has cats or not. Either stick with a stock mid-pipe for the emissions part or take it to a smog shop where the people are lenient.

10. Sinned83

Sinned83 Well-Known Member

Just go to your local exhaust guy have him make you a high flow h.

11. slow5poh

slow5poh New Member

thanks for the replies guys

12. Justang

Justang Active Member

I'm running a Mac catted H on my '97 GT. Full length, two cats, no CEL, passes NY inspection, but Google isn't showing me any good links to buy one.

13. Pete@FTR

[email protected] Active Member Preferred Vendor

I might have to make a trip down to la in the stang soon...