New mods

Z28 This

Reaction score
ok so the time has come for me to finally put some more stuff in my car...heres what im thinking im wanting to get yalls input on the setup and im on a budget right now of $1000 but i could go a LIL over...so heres what im thinking

-Lunati 1087 cam
-trickflow intake(black finished)
-and some rockers

anything youd recommend that id need to add or do differently?

specs on the cam: Wolverine 1087
222/232 @ .050", 112 LCA, 510/534 lift

Stangbangin

Reaction score
yea get heads first...spend that grand on some good flowing aluminum heads...a cam and intake would be good and all but the factory heads hold your motor back the most. you could also find a set of good used heads for 700 and get a cam

Turbo306

Reaction score
The Wolveren cam is a bad ass cam... but everyone is right... I would buy your self a set of AFR 185's or such and then run the cam, rockers, intake!!... :naughty:

Or if you want to get a really noticible difference in power buy a turbo/supercharger!!.. :pimp:

OP
OP
Z

Z28 This

Reaction score
well dont think i dont want heads...but right now i dont have the cash unless i could find some used set...i found some afr 165s for 1000...but if im going to pay that why not go 185s for 1400 brand new...so if i can find some good heads in the 700 range ill go that route..

and yeah im not into the whole off the shelf ford cams...there good but the E cam and so on never really did it for me...ive always been a fan of the 1087 :dancing6:

other option is just say screw it all and go nitrous...but im a all motor junky soooooooooo

94darkhorse

Legend
Reaction score
I agree, heads first will help. The stock heads will reduce the flow and restrict what you ultimately want. But those are really good parts, cant go wrong w/ tf or lunati. You might want to get some lifters and pushrods to go with the rr's.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
the 1087 cam has been around a LONG time and was very popular in the fox cars about 8 years ago. I'm not sure how it would do in a sn car with their crazy CPU and electrical system though :dunno:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Jperran said:
Snakebit said:
the 1087 cam has been around a LONG time and was very popular in the fox cars about 8 years ago. I'm not sure how it would do in a sn car with their crazy CPU and electrical system though :dunno:

I say this in a respectful way.

Please don't buy into that bullshit. There is nothing wrong with the SN95 hardware, if a tuner really can't figure it out he really has no business tuning your vehicle. It's a little harder for billy bob to mess with sure, but if you take your car to a real dyno tuner like you are SUPPOSED TO it makes no difference at all.

To the OP- Don't bother doing the cam if you aren't going to do heads. The intake will still make a big difference, though. You could do an ok H/C/I for $1,000. I would go with a cobra intake or a tmoss ported intake, some used GT40's, and an e-cam. This is not the best setup obviously but should be good for solid low/mid 13's (like 13.1-13.4).

I said that because it seems every car ( 94-95) with a cam seems to have problems :dunno: ........you dont think so?

OP
OP
Z

Z28 This

Reaction score
hes right if you run around with a cam and a untuned sn car itll go crazy...it also depends on the cam specs how far they are off to the stock sn computer specs ive seen the E cam not do much to the computer system and the car ran fine it just surged somewhat at idle...its harder to tune of course but with a good tune then itll be fine...

OpenRoadRacer

Reaction score
another vote for getting heads first.

in our race car, we run a 351W with a big cam, RPM intake, 750 Holly DP, electric pump and stock heads and rockers (budget restraints). we dyno tuned it and the best numbers we could achieve was 260/320. we were told to expect numbers around 325/400 with a set of AFR 185's. the thing is... i would think a 351W should be able to put out around 250-260 RWHP completely stock. so as you can see, stock heads are a HP/TQ killer. hi performance parts are components to the total package. they don't operate to their full potential unless you have it all matched up.

if i were you, i would find a good flowing set of used aluminum aftermarket heads (doesn't have to be AFR's) and a used cam with that 1G.

then address the intake later. you can find used cobra intakes for 200 bux that will be better than a stock GT intake.

just my opinion..........

OP
OP
Z

Z28 This

Reaction score
well the stock upper/lower GT intake i have on now has been ported out...

OpenRoadRacer

Reaction score
all the more reason to go the heads/cam route.

the best case scenario is to find them locally and see if the seller will agree to have them checked out at a machine shop to look for cracks and warps. if they check out, have them go ahead and do a valve job and clean them up while they have them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online