New Motor booked for Dyno Tuning.

95GTS5L

Reaction score
My over the winter project went well. I built my first complete engine from bare block. Farmed out rotating assy. balancing and some exhaust welding.
Car is sorted with clutch broke in. Just changed oil for second time at 980 km (590 ish miles). So it runs strong, when hot in town and i shut it off it sometimes needs me to press the gas pedal then it may decide not to hold the 750 idle.
Its hard to find someone to tune these cars so i twisted the arm of a fellow thats the best around and after he seen the car and i answered his random questions correctly he agreed to do it. I did have to go away the first time and fix/a couple small things he noticed. So she goes on the rollers next week. I am curious to see what it makes but most of all a good safe toon is what you want.

Main reason for posting is to thank the community and this forum for all the information that i was able to grab during my build from torque specs to part numbers to tools as i did have to buy several from cam bearing installer/remover to micrometers/bore gauge, etc.

How does posting a pic on here work.? I still pay for photobucket but thats only so i can retreive all my 10 years of LX Hemi Stuff before i went back to my Ford roots.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
My over the winter project went well. I built my first complete engine from bare block. Farmed out rotating assy. balancing and some exhaust welding.
Car is sorted with clutch broke in. Just changed oil for second time at 980 km (590 ish miles). So it runs strong, when hot in town and i shut it off it sometimes needs me to press the gas pedal then it may decide not to hold the 750 idle.
Its hard to find someone to tune these cars so i twisted the arm of a fellow thats the best around and after he seen the car and i answered his random questions correctly he agreed to do it. I did have to go away the first time and fix/a couple small things he noticed. So she goes on the rollers next week. I am curious to see what it makes but most of all a good safe toon is what you want.

Main reason for posting is to thank the community and this forum for all the information that i was able to grab during my build from torque specs to part numbers to tools as i did have to buy several from cam bearing installer/remover to micrometers/bore gauge, etc.

How does posting a pic on here work.? I still pay for photobucket but thats only so i can retreive all my 10 years of LX Hemi Stuff before i went back to my Ford roots.
TAKE A PIC FROM PHONE , AND ATTACH PIC TO COMMENT , IS THE WAY I DO IT

OP
OP
95GTS5L

95GTS5L

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks! As we know once everything is buttoned up all the pretty stuff and nice work can't be seen, LOL
I will give it a go!

Attachments

• 20220425_172329.jpg
    20220425_172329.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220528_154336.jpg
    20220528_154336.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
95GTS5L

95GTS5L

Reaction score
Went Good. Experienced some idle up issues and stalling after but seem to have fixed those by changing to a 160 t-stat and Ford coolant Tube sensor with different new harness plug. Seems alot better now. Need to warm up car a few minutes each cold start. Think computer is still learning. On the last pull 2 degrees of timing was added. When i first arrived my AF's where lean around 15. I think he went to forth gear. 113 mph on the Dyno. Tires were measured at i think 26 inches and 355 gears entered. Higher ekevation here and with the Mild crane 2031 i was expecting higher RW numbers, but after tge tuner overlayed my graph with a C5 corvette and was around the same but my torque a tad more. I think he was talking about a 345 crank HP LS.

In the end happy car got tuned to a safe level. Dyno was an 1800 hp set up The car is hard to handle in second gear. Getting subframes installed next week. Next time there is a dyno day i will see if i can get some higher exagerated numbers. True numbers read as 220 HP and 256 torque. Total tune numbers gained were 29 and 34. Video was trimmed but either too big so trimmed it and says no go.
Danny

joemomma

Reaction score
4th gear pull? How much elevation are you at? I would have expected upper 200s with your build.

OP
OP
95GTS5L

95GTS5L

Reaction score
Think so given the 113 MPH.
Yeah numbers seem off to me. Looking at other graphs of 300 plus hp known cars on this fellows site all are under 250 HP on the graph. Main concern was getting a safe tune. Happy with the power yes, dissapointed in the numbers. Yes. I beleive the method for measurement is skewed however after 4 pulls and 3 adjustments there was a gain. Owner kept insisting it was true numbers so i dud not argue. Looking at his other graphs of stock cars and using the info i compared mine to be 320 at the crank. In the end the cam choice is a good start. With a more aggressive cam like a TFS i likely would be higher. The crane is done at 5900. I will find another Dyno some day but i live in the Badlands/prairies so nearest 2nd option is 250-500 km away (140-300 miles).
Once the subframes are in i will decide if stickier or wider tires are needed to be able to manage through the 2nd gear squirrlyness. I have all new suspension installed and will play/soften up the KYB adj shocks i am trying. Its an ongoing hobby. Danny

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Danny,
Like Joemomma said, if you’re happy with the power and driving your car now wags your tail… the numbers are a moot point really!
FWIW, after the rebuild/stroke of my 5.0 to a 5.4, I was expecting bigger numbers too.
But once I drove it and now that the motor’s sufficiently broken in, I am stoked with the power and performance!

So, get that puppy tuned best it can and just go run it. You’ll see…

OP
OP
95GTS5L

95GTS5L

Reaction score
The motor had 600 miles on it with the clutch break in period complete. I got a tip the other day from my local ma and pa Auto parts store. These guys race an 85 Capri 460 and 60's type Falcon at the Local NHRA strip, anyways they gave me a name and number of a local fellow that has a dyno in his Custom Car Shop and loves working on and is said to tune older Foxbody's etc. Going to make contact and see what he says as i am contemplating my next potential move!

Yesterday i spent 4 hours under the car cleaning off Tar and workwheeling the metal down to bare in the 6 required spits for my Weld in Subframe kit and am off this week going to try for an appt. At performance shop who have experience welding these.

Last comment on my long post. Warmed car up to 180 temp while on the small lift to show a buddy and told him how hot it gets, example you cannot put your hand on the alternator as you will burn your hand. I assume this is normal?

Last edited:

badass98svt

Reaction score
The motor had 600 miles on it with the clutch break in period complete. I got a tip the other day from my local ma and pa Auto parts store. These guys race an 85 Capri 460 and 60's type Falcon at the Local NHRA strip, anyways they gave me a name and number of a local fellow that has a dyno in his Custom Car Shop and loves working on and is said to tune older Foxbody's etc. Going to make contact and see what he says as i am contemplating my next potential move!

Yesterday i spent 4 hours under the car cleaning off Tar andcworkwheeling the metal down to bare in the 6 required spits for my Weld in Subframe kit and am off this week going to try for an appt. At performance shop who have experience welding these.

Last comment on my long post. Warmed car up to 180 temp while on the small lift to show a buddy and told him how hot it gets, example you cannot put your hand on the alternator as you will burn your hand. I assume this is normal?

NHRA has tracks in Canada?

OP
OP
95GTS5L

95GTS5L

Reaction score
Thats what the sign says! NHRA, drivers this way, and spectators this way. I don't hang out there but i beleive it is just "Sponsored By" NHRA.

Last edited:

badass98svt

Reaction score
I'm just surprised.
Wouldn't that make it INTERnational Hot Rod Association?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online