New Motor?? Problem after Problem...

firstonraceday96

Reaction score
Well I have had a 96 GT for about 4 months now... and its time for a new motor. The third cylinder has about 30 psi of compression so Im guessing that it needs rings. Also when ever I have it at idle there is a horrible knocking... but when I push the clutch in it goes away( I think its crankwalk) So should I tear the NPI 4.6 down and go with heads cams new rotating assembly and just build this car or should I buy a 4v. Which would be cheaper ??

97vertstang

Reaction score
if u can afford it 4v>2v but an explorer longblock or a 99-04 low mileage lonblock is the cheapest way to go and pick some horsepower on the way.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Used 2V swap, or rebuild would be cheaper.

Definately Headswap it, or get a 99+ motor.

there's good info on PI swap and other mods on this page :)

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
I agree on getting the 99 motor. I'm sure you will be happy with it.

Codycougar91

Reaction score
just a side note, youll get slightly more power out of PI heads on a non PI block then PI on PI, because you will have better compression on a non PI block.

97GT4.6

Reaction score
Codycougar91 said:
just a side note, youll get slightly more power out of PI heads on a non PI block then PI on PI, because you will have better compression on a non PI block.

Great advice, it seems like not many people know about that. The new engine in my car has that exact thing, a 95 Crown Victoria nPI block, with 03 GT heads on top..

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
If you decide to just replace your Romeo 2V, swap in a '02+ Romeo 2V. This swap is a bit easier than swapping in a '99 -'01 Windsor. There are some subtle differences to deal with. Pay close attention to block/head casting numbers!

GT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online