New N/A numbers

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you may remember last year that I had some issues with my TFS heads and was starting to piece together my big bore Teksid build. The engine that I was running in the car at that time was a junk yard NPI motor that I bought to learn how to rebuild a bottom end. It was a stock NPI shortblock that I freshened up, and with my TFS 38cc heads, it put the compression right around 11.3:1. I was running a set of MHS stage 3 N/A cams with the stock intake manifold, and I was making 324/324 at the wheels on that combo. Well, I tore that bottom end apart last spring chasing down what I thought was a spun bearing. It ended up being a chewed up valve guide in my TFS heads. So since the junk yard bottom and was all apart, I said heck with it, and put my new TFS heads on my stock PI short block that was sitting in the corner and put it in the car. I bought a set of CMS stage 3 N/A cams, and threw it all together to get me by until I can build my Teksid engine. I took the car to get tuned and with the stock short block, TFS heads, 10.3:1 compression, CMS stage 3 cams, and stock PI intake, I made 350rwhp/347rwtq. Im very happy with the results and did not think that I would make that kind of power, especially sine I went down a full point of compression. For reference, my buddys 02 GT with full bolt ons and my old VT stage 2 cams put down in the 260's on the same dyno. The tuner is going to email my dyno sheet, so once I get that Ill post it up. Big thanks to Jim @ Cushman Motorsports with helping me choose the right cam and Terry @ Street Lethal Performance!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I agree with the results, but my eyes have illuminated by the power from an untouched set of tfs heads ontop of the mighty 4.6l! 350rwhp is only the begining!!! Absolutely amazing!

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Im really curious to see what itll put down with a built, higher compression short block that can rev, and an aftermarket intake. I have almost all of the pieces to start my Teksid build except for the pistons. Im thinking of just going +.020" over instead of the big bore route. Everyone wants an arm and a leg to sleeve the block, and I don't know if I can justify $2000 for an additional 20 hp. I also have everything that I would need to run the Street Burner intake manifold...I have a Cobra throttle body, Bullitt throttle and cruise cables, Bullitt throttle/cruise bracket, and 90mm MAF. So all I really need is a set of pistons and the intake manifold, and I have all of the parts that I need to get things going...

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Dude 350rwhp, that is amazing. Are the stage 3 cams street friendly or is it so hard to idle you stall everywhere...

MadStang

Reaction score
Dude 350rwhp, that is amazing. Are the stage 3 cams street friendly or is it so hard to idle you stall everywhere...

I have stage 4.5 cams and daily drove it for a year. as long as your tune is good you'll never stall. That's a great plus to obd-II...

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, the car idles just fine, and I can drive it anywhere. Like MadStang said, its all in the tune...

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
No, the car idles just fine, and I can drive it anywhere. Like MadStang said, its all in the tune...

awesome, I was always scared to big of cam makes the car a pita to drive. I wouldn't know never had big cams before...

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
It is still 2v? And my buddy wants to know if you had any pvc problems with the big cams on that stock bottom end. He has a 02 2v and you have opened his eyes to possibilities

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Nice... these numbers aren't much different than last time. what gives?

Still props for the great numbers on the 2v!!

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is still 2v? And my buddy wants to know if you had any pvc problems with the big cams on that stock bottom end. He has a 02 2v and you have opened his eyes to possibilities

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yea its still the old 2V lol. No problems with the PCV system because I deleted it lol.

Nice... these numbers aren't much different than last time. what gives?

Still props for the great numbers on the 2v!!

Well I put my stock short block back in just to get the car running and driving again. I also just happened to buy a set of bigger cams for my old motor before I found out that the heads were shot. So I was actually hoping that I would make close to the same HP as before going back to the stock short block because I was dropping a full point of compression by doing so, and I was hoping that the new larger cams would offset the compression drop and put me back where I was powerwise...so that plus an additional 25rwhp was a pleasant surprise...lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online