New SN95 owner here!

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is Brandon and I just got a 1994 GT today! So excited. This is my second stang and proud of it. Its an unmolested coupe and in pretty good condition all around (except for paint). Going to do some light mods to it. I am thinking of getting BBK shorty equal lengths headers and SLP LM catback. I live in cali so we have the smog nazis :/. Anyone in cali pass smog with the LM catback? What are the do's and dont's with these? any tips or what not? Well anyways this to meet you all (kinda) :p

2qitmk3.jpg

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Congratulations Brandon on the new to you 94 Mustang GT. Sounds like you already started thinking about your mods which could be a good or bad thing because it can be addicting. Not sure how mechanically inclined you are but a set of unequal length headers are easier to install and the difference in power when compared to equal length isn't earth shattering. Good luck and look forward to reading about your experience with your new to you Mustang GT.

See ya
Michael Plummer

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Congratulations Brandon on the new to you 94 Mustang GT. Sounds like you already started thinking about your mods which could be a good or bad thing because it can be addicting. Not sure how mechanically inclined you are but a set of unequal length headers are easier to install and the difference in power when compared to equal length isn't earth shattering. Good luck and look forward to reading about your experience with your new to you Mustang GT.

See ya
Michael Plummer

Thanks guys!

I have already thought about everything i wanted on that car before i even bought it haha. I think i am going to do light motor and light suspension, because it is going to be my daily driver and my other mustang is modded. but yes modding is very extremely addicting! I dont know very much about mechanics, but i started learning a lot with my '72. I dont know what the difference between unequal and equal, besides the obvious. Is it even worth getting shortys?

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Welcome to the crazyness! Car looks like a nice clean slate to start with. Shorty headers are a lot less restrictive than the stock ones, and you'll mostly notice more noise than power honestly. I swapped to Longtube headers, lost a little torque down low, but the top end greatly improved overall and the mighty 5.0 actually pulls hard in the higher rpms now. If you're not going to do any motor, ie heads, cam, intake, you wouldn't really benefit a great enough gain to justify the money for the headers and labor if you're not doing them yourself. If you're going to rip into the motor and build it up some, than 100% you should, get aftermarket shorty headers. Instead of spending money on the SLP catback, which is around 400-500 if I remember right. You can get a set of 18'' Long exhaust tips, have your factory tailpipes cut and those new tips welded on, and since you want SLP LM mufflers, have straight pipe welded onto your exhaust in place of your factory mufflers. SLP's are just open pipe, nothing inside. So maybe for new tips say $60, and add labor for that and straight pipe welded in place of the mufflers, you'll probably spend under $250 all together and get the sound you want. Just some food for thought

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Welcome to the crazyness! Car looks like a nice clean slate to start with. Shorty headers are a lot less restrictive than the stock ones, and you'll mostly notice more noise than power honestly. I swapped to Longtube headers, lost a little torque down low, but the top end greatly improved overall and the mighty 5.0 actually pulls hard in the higher rpms now. If you're not going to do any motor, ie heads, cam, intake, you wouldn't really benefit a great enough gain to justify the money for the headers and labor if you're not doing them yourself. If you're going to rip into the motor and build it up some, than 100% you should, get aftermarket shorty headers. Instead of spending money on the SLP catback, which is around 400-500 if I remember right. You can get a set of 18'' Long exhaust tips, have your factory tailpipes cut and those new tips welded on, and since you want SLP LM mufflers, have straight pipe welded onto your exhaust in place of your factory mufflers. SLP's are just open pipe, nothing inside. So maybe for new tips say $60, and add labor for that and straight pipe welded in place of the mufflers, you'll probably spend under $250 all together and get the sound you want. Just some food for thought

Hmmmm good food for thought. Will the shorty's still give it a good sound? I'm more concerned with the sound vs performance (embracing my inner ricer). I think I need some kind of muffler or else i will fail inspection. What pipes will give me a nice throaty sound? I went to a meet friday and there was a terminator with a bassani and borla combo with no cats and no headers. It sounded soooooooo bad ass, but i dont know how it would sound on the pushrod. What is your input on a nice combo?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

What part of Cali are you in?

I have SLP LM1 mufflers and an off-road x-pipe and passed smog with flying colors. :friendly_wink: Just need a bit of $$$.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Hmmmm good food for thought. Will the shorty's still give it a good sound? I'm more concerned with the sound vs performance (embracing my inner ricer). I think I need some kind of muffler or else i will fail inspection. What pipes will give me a nice throaty sound? I went to a meet friday and there was a terminator with a bassani and borla combo with no cats and no headers. It sounded soooooooo bad ass, but i dont know how it would sound on the pushrod. What is your input on a nice combo?

Shortys will make the exhaust a little louder, but not too much honestly. I had a BBK Offroad H, stock headers, and MAC Flowpath muffs on my 95 awhile back. Sounded awesome.. Switched to an offroad X and added Longtube headers.. And its so loud, sounds beefy and great tone. I recommend MAC Flowpath mufflers, they're not your typical Flowmaster or Magnaflow sounding muffler. They have a bit more rasp to em, and a specific tone unique to MAC. I love mine. If you can get away with running no cats, I highly highly suggest an offroad X or H pipe, and MAC Catback.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

What part of Cali are you in?

I have SLP LM1 mufflers and an off-road x-pipe and passed smog with flying colors. :friendly_wink: Just need a bit of $$$.

Thank you! Im in Socal. haha im sure with $$$ you can pass with anything.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Shortys will make the exhaust a little louder, but not too much honestly. I had a BBK Offroad H, stock headers, and MAC Flowpath muffs on my 95 awhile back. Sounded awesome.. Switched to an offroad X and added Longtube headers.. And its so loud, sounds beefy and great tone. I recommend MAC Flowpath mufflers, they're not your typical Flowmaster or Magnaflow sounding muffler. They have a bit more rasp to em, and a specific tone unique to MAC. I love mine. If you can get away with running no cats, I highly highly suggest an offroad X or H pipe, and MAC Catback.

Is there a link to where i can buy them online? should i get a catback? or just the muffs? As of now I cant get away with it (dont have the $$$) but from what i understood starting 2016 OBD1 cars will be smog exempted.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Is there a link to where i can buy them online? should i get a catback? or just the muffs? As of now I cant get away with it (dont have the $$$) but from what i understood starting 2016 OBD1 cars will be smog exempted.

You can buy the full MAC catback, so everything after your midpipe basically. You could buy the mufflers seperately, and get a set of 18" Long exhaust tips welded onto your factory tails. That'll save you a nice chunk of dough. Lol that sucks for you guys. I have longtubes, no cats, capped off egr, no smog pump.. Pass with flying colors haha. AmericanMuscle sells the MAC Catback. Be sure to ask [MENTION=10830]MustangChris[/MENTION] for our forum discount code to save you some money.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
You can buy the full MAC catback, so everything after your midpipe basically. You could buy the mufflers seperately, and get a set of 18" Long exhaust tips welded onto your factory tails. That'll save you a nice chunk of dough. Lol that sucks for you guys. I have longtubes, no cats, capped off egr, no smog pump.. Pass with flying colors haha. AmericanMuscle sells the MAC Catback. Be sure to ask MustangChris for our forum discount code to save you some money.

or would it be better and sound better for the straight pipe? I was thinking, if its possible, so have a H-pipe with no cats and straight pipe. and just put back the mufflers and stock h-pipe back on when its time to smog. is it possible? like a bolt on? i dont know if it makes sense.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
and also i think the clutch is going out. When i take off i hear this sound that is similar to taking off on gravel or dirt. Also the odometer doesnt work, as well as the trip odometer. Also the drivers window gets stuck (its power). like it needs help going up and down. And it has a factory alarm, but the remote doesnt work. Is is easy and worth it installing a new alarm system? or is it better to get another remote (if its possible). Also i want to change the radio. The previous owner mentioned something to the effect that if i install another radio, the audio system wont comply. (waaaaahhhhh??) it has the mach 460 (i think) radio that has like 6 speakers and i believe 2 amps. i want to go through the car and make sure everything is up and good. so any common problems?

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Welcome.

One thing though. While thenLM1 may sound nice for a minute it gets old. I think it sounds like a dump truck.

I agree with the o/r x though to give it a more exotic sound.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Eh honestly no muffs is loud, and all the time. So you might get stopped for it. You could get an offroad H and new mufflers. than change to the stock catted h for smog testing. Straight pipes honestly don't sound good for long. And you'll lose some torque and backpressure by running no mufflers

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Eh honestly no muffs is loud, and all the time. So you might get stopped for it. You could get an offroad H and new mufflers. than change to the stock catted h for smog testing. Straight pipes honestly don't sound good for long. And you'll lose some torque and backpressure by running no mufflers

It it sounds like poo either way :)

had a a friend that ahead a muffler shop back when I owned my 94

94 GT High Flow Cats Straight pipes

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online