new struts but i meed coil over help

lsmustangx

Reaction score
Today I bought new struts for my 97. They are KYB gr2. Not the best and from what I've read just a little better then oem. But I paid $80 for the pair brand new. Now off to wrap them in coil covers but idk if the Upr ones are good enough or should o fond another kit? Any suggestions would be great!!

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't know KYB's could handle coil-over springs? I guess it depends on the spring rate?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Your KYB GR2s are going to explode if you add the weight of a coilover on top. Please look up which struts are compatible with the coilover kit you're getting.

Also, UPR's are just fine.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yah, I kind of always thought those KYB's and the Tokico Blues are about the same with regards to performance - great replacements for OEM struts/shocks, but not at all able to coil-over conversions...

OP
OP
lsmustangx

lsmustangx

Reaction score
Yah, I kind of always thought those KYB's and the Tokico Blues are about the same with regards to performance - great replacements for OEM struts/shocks, but not at all able to coil-over conversions...

I only paid 60 for the pair brand new... i couldnt pass it up. think i could use them as a mock up with the coils til i get the engine in trans in place then buy some KONI ajustables or what would you recommend?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I only paid 60 for the pair brand new... i couldnt pass it up. think i could use them as a mock up with the coils til i get the engine in trans in place then buy some KONI ajustables or what would you recommend?

What kind of driving do you have in mind? Bilsteins and Koni's (not the STR.T ones) are always good choices. If you plan on racing and want excellent valved non-adjustable ones, look into the Maximum Motorsports lineup of struts/shocks. IIRC, they might even have more street-oriented ones. Only downside to MM is that they are pricey.

And the shock won't literally explode of course :) However, there's a good chance they won't be able to properly dampen the spring and you might get the ricer bounce as you drive along ;)

OP
OP
lsmustangx

lsmustangx

Reaction score
What kind of driving do you have in mind? Bilsteins and Koni's (not the STR.T ones) are always good choices. If you plan on racing and want excellent valved non-adjustable ones, look into the Maximum Motorsports lineup of struts/shocks. IIRC, they might even have more street-oriented ones. Only downside to MM is that they are pricey.

And the shock won't literally explode of course :) However, there's a good chance they won't be able to properly dampen the spring and you might get the ricer bounce as you drive along ;)

Only driving that will be done is for friday night cruises and interstate pulls.... racing from a dig isnt fun for me.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, they won't really explode lol. Assuming KYB's are the same diameter as stock struts, a coilover kit should fit over them just fine. I wouldn't recommend it but if that's what you gotta do to survive, by all means go for it. I would have taken that shortcut too if I didn't get a good deal on my front coils.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Only driving that will be done is for friday night cruises and interstate pulls.... racing from a dig isnt fun for me.

So then you are going to coil-overs because you want the low?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I need coilovers for my member for my swap... sucks right?!

Ah, gotcha. Well, if you get some light springs, like maybe 150 lbs or 200 lbs upfront, your KYB's might be okay. I think [MENTION=15502]Ferocious[/MENTION] runs something like those rates up front, and he seems to like them. He can correct me...

OP
OP
lsmustangx

lsmustangx

Reaction score
I havnt installed them yet.... but at end of the day i got to good of a deal to pass them up. Maybe someone here will need a pair and ill help them out or i can use them for role play in the bedroom with Katy Perry

slow90coupe

Reaction score
I had GR2's with coilovers all around on my old fox. They held up just fine and rode great too.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. Well, if you get some light springs, like maybe 150 lbs or 200 lbs upfront, your KYB's might be okay. I think Ferocious runs something like those rates up front, and he seems to like them. He can correct me...

Yes, I will correct you ;)

I run 300# on the front with Strange Adjustable fox struts.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I will correct you ;)

I run 300# on the front with Strange Adjustable fox struts.

Wow I was waaaaaay off! Lol. Someone here I thought was running a pretty light spring up front...maybe I'm just making up things again.

OP
OP
lsmustangx

lsmustangx

Reaction score
Another thing is I'll be running a L's motor with no power brakes power steering ac or heat... keeping it light... so maybe 200s would work

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Staff online

Members online