New tie rod ends and clunk sound

ClarkDV

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I have a 97 mustang gt. 78k miles, 4.6L V8, manual. It had a horrible squeaking sound and isolated it to the outer tie rod ends. Replaced them and no more squeak and the car feels much better! That being said, while driving (1/20th of a mile, I am getting aligned tomorrow) around 30mph and make quick turns one way or another I heard a slight knocking sound. Jacked the car up again and still some slight 3-9 play with a slight knocking sound.

Now I tightened lug nuts to spec, tie rod to knuckle to spec, and tightened the jam nut that links the inner and outer tie rod end as hard as I possibly could. Both the tie rod end and ball joint have been greased with fresh grease, and there is no 12-6 play in the wheel.

What could the issue be? Like I said the horrible squeaking is gone but I have this knock sound now.

Snorky

Reaction score
Wheel bearing or perhaps a arm bushings?

Monday

Reaction score
Have you given the wheels a pull when it is off the ground? Have you new wheels bearings?

Double check wheel bearing torque; should be at or around 155 ft/lbs. Do you know where to rent a ball-joint press?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
wasn't someone here just talking about some noise from the rear end that ended up being a brake caliper?

Venompower

Reaction score
wasn't someone here just talking about some noise from the rear end that ended up being a brake caliper?
I thought it was rear end, but it was the anti-rattle clip on the front driver side brake pad. The calipers float and without the clip they make a clunking sound over any pavement irregularity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.