New to Cobras and 4Vs

racngrn

Reaction score
Picked up a 97 Cobra with less than 50k miles. Nice car and well cared for. I'm very new to these cars and wonder if I could get some help with any common areas or issues to pay attention to. I've read the hundreds of oil level threads and seem to have a good sense of that topic ( sounds like 6.5 qts in the norm out there). Other areas to pay attention to? Also, do you guys have a preferred interval to change tranny fluid, or is the recommended Ford interval fine. Thanks for your help. Awesome car.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Be sure to use the recommended oil type at recommended oil change intervals. These engines perform poor with dirty oil. Keeping the oil clean is a must.

Are you planning any upgrades?

RedTwilight

Reaction score
Welcome to the wonderful world of 4V Cobra ownership! You got the good year model. The one with the updated cooling system over the '96. It also wasn't the odd year with the fuel system and some other things like the '98.

As far as the tranny fluid; the recommended Ford interval should be just fine unless you drive it extra hard for extended periods of time. When you change it use the Pennzoil Syncromesh fluid.

OP
OP
R

racngrn

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Mods will quickly include a new shifter ( Steeda Tri Ax), cat back exhaust ( I like the Flowmaster sound and the Super 44s seem to be a good compromise). Likely just throw a K&N into the stock housing and open up the restrictions in that Air cleaner to let it breath a bit better. I actually love the 18x10 inch rear wheel look, but also really like the stock look and the wheels on it are very nice. May just grab an inch of width with a billet wheel spacer (1in). Tires are great, so might as well. Has Ford Motorsports springs and shocks. Lastly, a tuner to wake it up. Don't really have access to 93 octane, so I am not sure its worth it. Thanks for the tips

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Staff online

Members online