New to sn95's have some questions

Ricke

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong place! Just a couple questions, I just picked up my first 96 Gt it has a K&N Cold Air cat less x pipe and dual flow master 44's and i think its running rich. Anyway to tell? I plan on getting a bam, sct, or some kind of tuner or put it on the dyno here soon. Also, How do i tell if I'm geared? Previous owner thought it had been but wasn't sure.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Is your speedo off? You can jack the car up and spin the wheel and compare the drive shaft rotations to the wheel rotations.

Running rich usually has a smell why would it be rich? Any CEL?

The D3V

OP
OP
R

Ricke

Reaction score
i just smell fuel when its at an idle, no CEL. Could it just be from not having cats, and thats what I'm smelling? Also I want to build this here pretty quick and i was wondering what internals to go with, I want to go turbo or spray but price is going to be the choosing factor. I have about 3-4 to put into the motor and the 2 for everything else. Any guidance on that would be greatly appreciated also.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
What are your goals with the car? Drag, track, daily driver etc.

Depending on your power level goals you can reuse the factory crank. New forged rods will be 250-600 for a set depending on your goals and pistons are about 450-600 for a forged set set. Plus bearings rings balance machine work gaskets.

You all definitely benefit from a PI swap.

Nitrous vs turbo. Pick one initially nitrous is cheaper. But refills take their toll.

Anywho when you decide which route then you can pick pistons and a cam.

The D3V

OP
OP
R

Ricke

Reaction score
I want a DD that i can take to the strip, I'm really leaning towards FI. I would love to make around 500 to the wheels. Thanks for your input, should i go with PI heads or does TrickFlow have something?

OP
OP
R

Ricke

Reaction score
best bang for my buck? I don't wanna throw all my money into it haha

So if i did forged internals, Pi heads with some head work, some cams, and an on3 turbo kit could i see 500? Also this is my first build so i really don't know where to start in getting parts.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Forged internals stock pi heads on3 turbo with a better turbo/bov plus necccesary fuel mods yes 500 is there.

You'll need a tuner and some gauges. On paper its easy.... it gets harder when wrenches turn and wallets open.

The D3V

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Many will chime in saying add suspension mods.

Personally I would get your car running great (easier to iron out problems when stock IMO)

Then turbo kit.

Then on the side build a new motor.

The D3V

Burninrock24

Reaction score
99% sure you are smelling it because it's catless. Good answers by Dev here, nothing to add really.

But I'm on the other side of the fence, that good driving and a good suspension will get you farther than throwing money at your motor will. HP is only as good as your available traction. And slicks will only get you so far. A guy on a different mustang forum was running low 12's with his bone stock 4.6 just because of suspension mods and weight reduction.

I do absolutely agree that having a top notch motor can do nothing but help. I just think I'd stop at 300-350 hp and then start looking at mods. The money that you'll spend getting that extra 150 to get to 500 would be so much better spent on your chassis and suspension. Diminishing marginal returns and all lol

OP
OP
R

Ricke

Reaction score
Sweetness, thanks for the input guys. I am heading to the dyno this weekend and we should be able to iron out the issues if there is any. I do have adjustable coil overs, and strut/sway bars? front and back but what do you guys recommend? Also i found a 2000 gt motor with 90k miles, from what i have read i could get at least 400 on stock internals with the on3? what fuel upgrades should i get? the more input the better, cause i have the itch to start ordering parts and turning wrenches.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
First find out if the gt motor is romeo or windsor!

Are you asking or stating you have coil overs?

The D3V

OP
OP
R

Ricke

Reaction score
i have the SR performance coil over kit from American Muscle and koni STR.t front struts and a strut tower bar up front

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Subframes and lower control arms would be a good start for suspension. However, you don't need them at this point. As far as the On3 turbo goes, one of our members (@slow90coupe) just got done installing their kit on his 2V and explained the whole process/bugs he had with it. Go and give that a good read. I'm sure you'll learn a thing or two and if you have any questions for him, I'm sure he'll be willing to help you out.

http://www.sn95forums.com/showthrea...mance-Turbo-Kit-For-Your-SN95-LOOK-HERE-FIRST

OP
OP
R

Ricke

Reaction score
Awesome, i've been following his build thread and its by far one of my favorite stangs on this site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online