New to the SN

A_+

Reaction score
Ive owned a few foxbody mustangs in my lifetime but recently, i purchased a 95 with a rebuilt 306 and T5. Are there things i should know about this particular model mustang? The guy who sold it to me said something about the fuel lines leaking after a while so he replaced them with some better ones.....I dont know. Its a good car, built aluminum heads, gt40 intake, #24 injectors 70maf and TB. The egr has been deleted so i guess thats why im getting the CEL. It cuts on and off every now and then......just yesterday, i noticed that the car started making a rattling noise. It sounded like it was coming from the motor, kind of like a knock but more of a rattle. I did a search and found tons of info. This car has a tune and is currently set to run on 87 octane. Also, the rpm's like to stay above 1k sometimes, especially after driving for a while. So, what else is up with these cars?.....

TanTop94

Reaction score
Welcome! Glad to see your apart of the SN95 platform now...hmm I haven't heard of many fuel line problems, could just come with age. When the EGR is blocked off, which I can only imagine you have aftermarket headers, you have to delete the EGR tube that came up from stock headers to your upper intake. Surprised on why it wasnt just tuned out though? Id clean your TB and MAF/MAS. Could you elaborate on the rattling/knocking noise, maybe a video of it?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
welcome to the site. Sounds like good stuff in the motor. how bout some pics?
The "tune" should have been able to turn off the CEL from the EGR delete but you might want to pull codes to make sure that's what it is.
The rattling sounds might be pinging, usually increasing the octane or changing where where you get gas might fix it.
Hanging idle is a fairly common problem with some cars. Might be your TPS (mine was) or or a vacuum leak, or it could be from the tune as well.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Welcome sounds like a sweet car . Definitely sounds like pinging could just be a bad batch of gas

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome! These cars are fairly solid, but that being said it depends how hard you beat on them.

But the nicest thing about mustangs is the aftermarket :) all sorts of goodies!

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Thank you. I noticed that these car provide everything I loved about the fox body but with a better ride. I was thinking, it was probably bad gas but I never had this problem with my fox and I put gas at the same place. I also noticed that the car runs a little on the cooler side until I crank up the AC. It doesn't heat up (thank god) just gets a little warmer but so far so good I guess. The rattle/knock can only be heard at lower rpm's. It almost sounds like the motor is knocking! It should have about 5k on the rebuild. Timing should be right too. I exited the highway this morning and at a stop, rpm's were a little under 2k and wouldn't drop. I'm thinking about taking out this sct chip. The car has a few bolt on's, minus a cam and I don't see the need for it. I ran a fully built 302 without a chip or tune and it ran like a champ! Can I just unplug a chip?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
the foxes adapt much better to mods than SN's do.
You can try pulling the chip but I doubt it'll help. You can also do a base idle reset (google it). it might help as well.
Then again it might be the TPS or IAC. Some people make an orifice for the IAC to further reduce the airpassing by.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Hopefully the sound is normal and it makes it through the week until I get some time to look into it. Its starting to sound like its coming from out the engine. Last time I heard a sound like that, I had a warped head and the car was hearing up. According to my temp gauge, I'm normal. I'm also starting to wonder why AC doesn't always blow cold. I had it charged last week and it blows cold when it wants. It also only blows through the vents, sometimes. I'll begin my search on this site soon. Good to be on board......

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
If your car start to over heat the car will shut the ac till it cold down then the ac should kick back on.. You on dfwmustangs? It could something simple vac leak crappy tune.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
If your car start to over heat the car will shut the ac till it cold down then the ac should kick back on.. You on dfwmustangs? It could something simple vac leak crappy tune.

It doesn't heat up, just gets a little warmer. However , it did seem that the AC got cooler when I got off the highway. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the tune or the deleted egr us causing the motor to warm up quicker. Will I be OK if I just remove the chip and plug it back in if it doesn't fix anything? And no, I'm A_+. A+ is the guy from dfwm.:p

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=18328]A_+[/MENTION],

I'd unplug the battery, unplug the ECU, remove the chip, reassemble. Check the fuel pressure at idle without the chip. Then check it through the powerband (obviously you'll need a friend to hit the gas) if it hold pressure, I'd give it a test drive without the chip.

The safest way to check is to take it to a tuning shop to make sure that they can get an exhaust sniffer on it while they troubleshoot.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking but what good will the sniffer do? I'm running straight pipes....does smell a little rich though...........

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
the sniffer can tell you what the engine is doing by measuring hydrocarbons (unburned fuel), and some other things.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As Rz pointed out, you need that chip for your 24 pound injectors, or you risk running super rich and washing down the cylinder walls.

High idle is usually a vacuum leak, IAC, or TPS. You can check the TPS by checking voltage on it through the range of closed to open.

You can also make an IAC restrictor plate to bring the idle down. That's what I did.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
fn RZ aint no joke, lol. welcome dude :wave:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online