New to this....

canzo116

Reaction score
Recently bought a 98 GT. Its stock (except for xpipe, CAI and short shifter). I am pretty handy and think i could tackle the PI intake and cams. Can i just do the intake? will that alone be worth it? Is it hard to do cams? I literally know nothing about how to do it but i think i can. Is it that hard? Is there a step by step guide anywhere? Thanks

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Recently bought a 98 GT. Its stock (except for xpipe, CAI and short shifter). I am pretty handy and think i could tackle the PI intake and cams. Can i just do the intake? will that alone be worth it? Is it hard to do cams? I literally know nothing about how to do it but i think i can. Is it that hard? Is there a step by step guide anywhere? Thanks

You know nothing about how to do it but think you can? :nono:

I would do some research before you end up breaking something.
The PI intake is an easy swap. Cams aren't too much of a hassle as long as you are follow an accurate guide. You can do both in about a day.

Here's a couple guides to help:

http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?8467-PI-Intake-PI-Cams-Install-How-To

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/npi-to-pi-cam-manifold-swap-how-to.661774/
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/160636-pi-swap-write-up-1996-mustang-gt.html
http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...st-pi-swap-write-up-all-you-need-to-know.html

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
If you've never messed with a motor, do NOT attempt to do cams.. Let a mechanic do it, you'll thank me later. Cold air intake is easy to do, intake swap should be straight forward

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
If you've never messed with a motor, do NOT attempt to do cams.. Let a mechanic do it, you'll thank me later. Cold air intake is easy to do, intake swap should be straight forward

If you never mess with a motor how will you ever work on a motor or get started on learning?

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Lol ok. So just tear apart the motor and learn on your own, if its not your daily driver fine. Atleast get a buddy or someone who knows what they're doing to help guide you.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Do as much research you can on the modulars. Get some torque sequence and setting info. Ask a bunch of questions!

Sinned83

Reaction score
Dive into it if you have someone around who can help you if you need it. I do this all the time.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I'd say go for it. Even if you mess it up someone can fix it, and its just a NON pi turd motor at the moment lol.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
You gotta learn by digging in, remember YouTube is a very valuable resource. There's pretty much a video on anything you want to do automotive. I always look there first and get a feel for what new tools I need to purchase and any tricks to making the job easier

punched281

Reaction score
I didn't know how to do it and I went head first. But I do know how to read. Do your research and take your time! When you are doing it and something doesn't seem to match up or just doesn't look right, stop and go quadruple check. Timing will be the hardest part. And make sure you give yourself 3 times the amount of time you think it will take you and some extra cash.

dirtyred11

Reaction score
You gotta learn by digging in, remember YouTube is a very valuable resource. There's pretty much a video on anything you want to do automotive. I always look there first and get a feel for what new tools I need to purchase and any tricks to making the job easier
This is so true, Youtube has helped me out of many binds even if you learn nothing but how not to do something that alone can save you a headache and is very valuable information.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Look at the sticky threads at the top of this section. Good info in there for new people just coming into the modulars.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online

No members online now.