New winter car build - not what you think

Tabres

Reaction score
So I had a nephew born a few days ago and I decided I wanted to do something different for a gift when he was born that he would be able to look back years later and go, "omg, Uncle Bryan was awesome" and I thought a customized cozy coupe should do the job even though he won't be able to use it for quite a while :)

Straight away I knew I didn't want a new cozy coupe with the big, goofy eyes on it and I managed to find an older model on Craigslist for $5. The previous owner's kids had really enjoyed it as it was completely sun-faded and the stickers were absolutely destroyed. I decided I wanted to make it into an Ecto-1 from Ghostbusters because I had seen them on the net before and thought they were awesome, and my brothers and I were huge into the movies and cartoons when we were kids.

So I started by removing the stickers (took hours because they were so baked on) and emblems, disassembled the car, scuffed it, cleaned it and then painted it white. Then I made a stencil and broke out the air brush to put a kind of cartoonish 59 Caddy style grille on it, airbrushed on the side stripes similar to how the fins would be, and then the tail-lights. I picked up the Ghostbusters stickers off Amazon, had the license plate printed at Kinkos, and the roof items I built out of PVC. It's all 1/2" and 2" pipe, the big box is just a $1 electrical box from Home Depot, the satelite dish is made from a plastic bowl I bought a pack of like 10 of at the grocery store for $2. The cord down the side is just blue electrical conduit I bought at Lowes, which was about $2 for 10 feet. And the lights are just small novelty cop lights I paid about $10 for online. It's really a very low budget project. All told I have maybe $35 - $40 in the thing but with all of the leftover material I have I could build another for the cost of the cozy coupe plus about $10 for new stickers and PVC fittings.

All in all it was a really fun project. My brother and sister-in-law were super pumped about it when I gave it to them, and they're already talking about how he has to be a Ghostbuster for Halloween next year :coolman:

1_zpse9b185bb.jpg

2_zps7cff78fe.jpg

3_zps42ace3ae.jpg

4_zps072f3dd8.jpg

5_zpse1d1caf1.jpg

6_zpsad47894b.jpg

7_zpsb7eca622.jpg

8_zps293d9789.jpg

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I just saw this on the chive! Had to log on and find this thread to tell you! [MENTION=8153]Tabres[/MENTION] you're famous!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online