Newish front suspension has ZERO bounce

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
‘95 Cobra SVT with Bilstein HD shocks front and rear. I gave it the ol’ push down on the fender to check bounce routine. And found: nothing. Zero bounce. Rigid.
Shouldn’t there be a little bounce?? If so, how do I adjust this? And how much?

shovel

Reaction score
Bilsteins are notoriously digressive (that means stiff on slow force, to set into corners early and feel responsive but then much softer on fast movement to avoid breaking your spine) and also ball joint friction especially on new ball joints is a real thing, and when you're stopped (wheel not turning) there's also lateral resistance from the tires because your track width changes slightly during suspension movement.

In other words it's not surprising you aren't getting any bounce. How's it drive?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Bilsteins are notoriously digressive (that means stiff on slow force, to set into corners early and feel responsive but then much softer on fast movement to avoid breaking your spine) and also ball joint friction especially on new ball joints is a real thing, and when you're stopped (wheel not turning) there's also lateral resistance from the tires because your track width changes slightly during suspension movement.

In other words it's not surprising you aren't getting any bounce. How's it drive?
It drives alright; no serious red flags or dislikes.
So there’s no adjustability with these shocks?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just got some feedback from a guy (Josh) @ MM.
He recommended raising the ride height in 1/4” increments until I find my comfort zone. He suggested that lowering the rear more than 1 1/2” isn’t great on the SN-95’s.

So, with the adjustable rear perches, I can adjust the rear ride height easily enough. The front struts he explained that I’ll need to remove the set screw then use the wrench to back it out 1/4”, both sides. Try 1/4” adjustment at a time. Rinse and repeat as necessary!!
He said, “ a little adjustment goes a long way “!

shovel

Reaction score
The front struts he explained that I’ll need to remove the set screw then use the wrench to back it out 1/4”, both sides. Try 1/4” adjustment at a time. Rinse and repeat as necessary!!
He said, “ a little adjustment goes a long way “!

I was not aware that Bilstein HD's had any kind of adjustability. You have the yellow ones? Or do you mean coilover conversion sleeves?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was not aware that Bilstein HD's had any kind of adjustability. You have the yellow ones? Or do you mean coilover sleeves?
Oh, no. The (yellow) Bilstein’s I have are not adjustable. You’re 100% correct. It’s the ride height he’s suggesting I adjust. Give the shocks/struts a little more room to travel.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t recall off hand. They’re MM; came as a kit.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
If it compresses, extends and then compresses again before coming to equilibrium from just pushing down with aftermarket high rate springs in place then I would posit that the dampers (shocks, struts) were insufficient to the spring rate or actually bad and in need of replacement. If it came as a kit from MM, you can take it to the bank that the pairing is correct. I'm perfectly capable of pairing my own and I still call MM and have them tell me what to use because I might be wrong but they're about as likely to be wrong as horses are to sprout wings and fly.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I’m good with that! Thanks everyone!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online