Nick's 98gt Full Budget Built Turbo 2v

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Awesome progress man, I want to get a shop put in at my house. Have you been thinking about putting in a nice 2 post lift?

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Awesome progress man, I want to get a shop put in at my house. Have you been thinking about putting in a nice 2 post lift?

Long term goals..... YESS, it was actually the first thing I had invisioned while we were purchasing our house lol. The styrofoam its only temporary, hopefully next summer or the summer after I will be puting in Spray foam up on the tin sheeting so that I have enough space to eventually get a lift, but I will also need to be investing in a nice wood stove aswell

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Debating going MHS stg 2 or Hi-Tech Stg2, gotta find someone to degree the cams for me though. Would hate to have a valve smack a piston lol.

You can do this by yourself, it really isn't hard. The links I sent you over on Corral will get you through the degree process and save you a little bit of money.

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
You can do this by yourself, it really isn't hard. The links I sent you over on Corral will get you through the degree process and save you a little bit of money.

Ha didnt realize that was you on corral, gotta get my forum names recognized / you even had the same profile pic. Thanks again for the info I do plan on tackleing this project myself, not having the engine in front of me makes this seem pretty intimidating but I'm sure once I start getting some hands on experience I will figure it out.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Ha didnt realize that was you on corral, gotta get my forum names recognized / you even had the same profile pic. Thanks again for the info I do plan on tackleing this project myself, not having the engine in front of me makes this seem pretty intimidating but I'm sure once I start getting some hands on experience I will figure it out.

Definitely! When I started reading about how to do it, im not going to lie, it scared the crap out of me. Then I said what the hell and went for it and come to find out it is very easy to do.

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Alright more progress on the shop. Got the ceiling completely insulated. All I'm needing is to install a door which connects the one bay I wont be heating. Place is much brighter having a ceiling to reflect the light. We will see how well styraphome board insulates.....

Halfway done....

tPBG95K.jpg

Completed....

RxPQIcp.jpg

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Update! Lastnight I picked up my engine for the swap. Guy I purchased it from accidently cracked the driver side valve cover but I think I needed to swap both of them with my 98gt valve covers anyway. Anyway the tear down process begins and more pics to follow!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Garage looks good, engine looks good, car looks good,...heck, I bet you look good!

darkness

Reaction score
Got a new update on my shop.... I know this isnt a build thread for my shop but it does need to get done in order to be able to work on the stang over the winter lol. Anyway went to menards last night and bought the insulation for the ceiling in my shop. I am going with 2" thick 4'x8' styrofoam board, my work space measured to about 868sqft so I will have my work cut out for me getting all this hung. The walls in shop already have insulation board with the plastic in between so I believe that will be sufficient enough. For heating the shop this winter I plan on using the Mr Heater 125k btu propane heater. They are rated for well over 1200sq ft so I dont see that as a problem working out. More updates to come!

Love the build but you made me feel like crap when you said how big your shop is. 856sq!! thats bigger then my apartment.:(

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Love the build but you made me feel like crap when you said how big your shop is. 856sq!! thats bigger then my apartment.:(

Haha, yeah its almost more room than I know what to do with but I'm slowing finding more and more stuff to store in there lol.

Some more progress made lastnight. Began tearing down the blue mustangs old engine to get ready to pull, finally put the new engine up on the engine stand. And best of all Check out the new seats I got. Bought them both with the right brackets for less than half of what they are worth!!!! Good news for the shop too, it is now heated :)

iScbBft.jpg

knvPWZa.jpg

c8m7T5v.jpg

Rzl6K6b.jpg

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Not a whole lot of exciting updates for the mustang yet. I have been slowly doing more disassembly on the car while inspecting things needing to be replaced. Was able to purchase a few more things for the car, mach1 chin spoiler, B&M ripper sts, cobra smoked headlights. I was able to find my old catback from my 95gt and will be using that on this car. Im on the hunt for some used longtubes and mid-pipe. The black friday deals were real tempting lol. Once income taxes come around I should start making huge progress.

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
More progress, old motor is finally out. Looks like I will have a lot of cleaning to do. Found some not so good things in the process though. Looks like the car had at one point met the ditch as the lower radiator support is bent in pretty good. Gonna have to find a way to get that bent back in place. The transmision mount is totally shredded and will probably be getting new motor mounts aswell.

xVszxfs.jpg

mP8RoE1.jpg

9ESdSRo.jpg

JtudkhO.jpg

qiyOSvP.jpg

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Got the other engine up on its stand. Tonight I will begin tearing it down and start cleaning the engine bay and trans up a bit. The fun stuff :)

LrsmkU9.jpg

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
How are you planning to get that core support straightened out? You planning a wire tuck on this thing while you have the engine out?

Jubert

Reaction score
this build has me anxious for more pics and replies

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
How are you planning to get that core support straightened out? You planning a wire tuck on this thing while you have the engine out?

Core support I'm still trying to think of the best way to approach this. I'm gonna be deleting the ac so once I get all of the lines and accesories out of the way I'll start a game plan. Last resort is I cut the bottom half off and weld in a new piece. As for the wire tuck I would like to, I did it on my 95gt and it cleaned things up quite a bit.

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Did some more tear down on the old NPI engine lastnight. I'm going to dissasemble the Timing components and take out the camshafts to learn how to do that process before installing aftermarket cams on the PI motor. I have a quetion though, on my Supra the 2jz camshafts have groove marks inbetween the 1st and 2nd lobes to put a wrench on to hold it in place when loosening the cam gear bolt. How is this process done on the 2v? The brief time I looked it over I couldnt find how to hold it in place?

ZIcWidA.jpg

MxUSDWf.jpg

ySTxP7e.jpg

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
On my stock cams I had a spot on the back end of the cam to put a ratchet or breaker bar into and that held it. My bullet cams have a spot to put a wrench about half way down the cam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online