Nick's 98gt Full Budget Built Turbo 2v

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
On my stock cams I had a spot on the back end of the cam to put a ratchet or breaker bar into and that held it. My bullet cams have a spot to put a wrench about half way down the cam.

Thanks that did the trick. Messed around in the shop again this weekend, tore down the old engine a bit and took the timing components off as well as the camshafts. Second question. How are you supposed to relieve the pressure on the timing chain tensioners?? I ended up just unbolting them but I know in order to get them installed you will have to relieve the tension somehow?? Any way I also started degreasing and cleaning up the engine bay a bit. Will probably need to wash once more once it completely drys.

Also some good news, I was able to bend the core support back. If anyone wants some ideas how to do this, please understand this will not make this perfect I just needed to nudge everything forward a bit which it did a great job. The process I used was an old scissor jack I had laying around and a couple of short pieces of 2x4. I then wedged the jack sideways between the bottom of the core support and the front sway bar mounts using the 2x4's as a cushion and slowly turned the jack untill I got the core support where I wanted it.

HeqgzlT.jpg

cYTgI5v.jpg

SxJxW1t.jpg

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I'm wanting to delete my power steering cooler, anyone have some advice on getting that accomplished?

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with it lol, that's what im doing to mine.

On a real note though, I pulled my whole power steering/hydroboost setup out already and I cant for the life of me remember what you are talking about.

Haha I gotta get caught up with the times, I was still used to the old vaccum assisted brakes that my 95gt had. I now know that the 96+ have hydroboost setups assisted by the power steering pump. Hmm Sure does make a mess of hoses on the driver side engine bay though.....

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Haha I gotta get caught up with the times, I was still used to the old vaccum assisted brakes that my 95gt had. I now know that the 96+ have hydroboost setups assisted by the power steering pump. Hmm Sure does make a mess of hoses on the driver side engine bay though.....

Yes those hoses are really messy, that's why I chose to delete them all.
So the power steering cooler, is that a 95 GT thing or is that on your 98?

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Its on my 98 and also on my 95. You can see the line in the below photo where it loops around in front of the radiator.....

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Its on my 98 and also on my 95. You can see the line in the below photo where it loops around in front of the radiator.....

That line is the cooler? Wow, ok, I have absolutely no advise on that, other than what was stated above about throwing it all away.

joshuaw3

Reaction score
It seems like we have the same idea here. I picked one up back in August for 2 grand. Not in the best of the shape but once I can stop dailying it I will be tearing mine apart too, going more in depth than you are initially but same basic idea. Get one for cheap tear it apart and make it nice.

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Not a whole lot of updates, I sure am taking my time with this car.... Got the engine cleaned up. Bought a few more goodies for the car. Finally got a new center console and some misc interior parts.
Got some upper and lower control arms, shock and struts, Ford B-springs. Got a new trans mount and solid motor mounts. Still needing a k-member to fnish the suspension up. Next round of purchases will be for the engine, (longtubes, upper IM/throttle body and intake. Will probably be looking for a good handheld tuner aswell.

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Project Budget build is going to be making some good progress this month, I have a truck load of parts on the way... UPR kmember, MAC longtubes, 3.73 gear kit, new clutch , ac delete, gasket kit for the new engine.
This weekend I ripped out the rearend, will be taking it to a buddies shop to install the gears, but first run it to the car wash to power wash it down.

JJRUoNg.jpg

Also starting to give the interior some love, got new door inserts and started dying the carpet black but ran out of paint so a second coat is still in order.

283Bh1L.jpg

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Wait a second!

You are deleting you A/C but you don't want to get rid of power steering and power brakes?
You must not be a big guy, because im a fat boy and I LLLLOOOOOVVVVEEEE my A/C lol

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Wait a second!

You are deleting you A/C but you don't want to get rid of power steering and power brakes?
You must not be a big guy, because im a fat boy and I LLLLOOOOOVVVVEEEE my A/C lol

Haha well the ac delete thing was quite easy and freed up some space. But the manual steering and brake conversion would be a little more involved / more involved than I wanted to deal with atleast lol. And I'm about 165lb average I guess lol.

Btw, thats what my moon roof is for...........

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Haha well the ac delete thing was quite easy and freed up some space. But the manual steering and brake conversion would be a little more involved / more involved than I wanted to deal with atleast lol. And I'm about 165lb average I guess lol.

Btw, thats what my moon roof is for...........

Man, you have everything out of the way for the brake delete though. With the MM kit everything really is just bolt in. The hardest part about it is making the brake light and cruise control switches work properly. You have to bend a couple lines but I think MM even has those for sale that are pre-bent. I think you should do it! Then again, I just think its a good idea because I am doing it lol.

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Man, you have everything out of the way for the brake delete though. With the MM kit everything really is just bolt in. The hardest part about it is making the brake light and cruise control switches work properly. You have to bend a couple lines but I think MM even has those for sale that are pre-bent. I think you should do it! Then again, I just think its a good idea because I am doing it lol.

So your a big supporter of going with manual brakes. Wouldn't that drastically affect the effectiveness of the brakes. Like the car won't stop as well etc. the only real benefit is that it cleans up the engine bay? Is that basically it or does it not really affect anything?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
So your a big supporter of going with manual brakes. Wouldn't that drastically affect the effectiveness of the brakes. Like the car won't stop as well etc. the only real benefit is that it cleans up the engine bay? Is that basically it or does it not really affect anything?

Now we are getting somewhere lol. The brakes will be equally effective with manual brakes because you are doing the same thing, pushing the master cylinder. The big problem that comes in to play is pedal effort. If you have a stock sized master and stock pedal ratio, it will be hard as hell to push the pedal. However, if you go up one size on the bore of the master cylinder and move the push point of you brake pedal up 1" (giving more leverage) the pedal effort will be just slightly more than stock. The two key things here; choosing correct master cylinder bore size, and correcting brake pedal geometry for proper leverage. Different size brakes need different bore sizes on masters. I would get on the horn with MM, they will talk you through selecting what is right for your application.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online