nitrous back fired...etc....what to do now...car wont idle

cody0170

Reaction score
so last night i went to the track and about half way down while i was spraying it backfired. went to the pits and the cai tube blew off the throttle body. the sensor blew out of the tube thats behind the mass air flow sensor and now you start it up and it idles like it has a bad ass cam. so it wont idle. when you try and give it gas and refuses to respond. if you mash the throttle to wot then you can manage to somewhat drive. so thats how i drove it home last night on the expressway for like 15 miles.......wtf happened...

ripper

Reaction score
Check your intake for a crack. It sounds like a vacuum leak. Or maybe you trashed the MAF itself.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Check MAF first, then vaccuum leaks. Do you have a CEL?

OP
OP
C

cody0170

Reaction score
OK so i just went to O'reilly's and bought new plugs, MAF spray cleaner and a new fuel filter. I'm going to try them in that order and see if i can get anything out of it. really fucking wild how this just happened and now it runs like dog shit. I hope I didn't blow a intake gasket. if so I'll prolly start looking to do a pi intake swap. O YA LATEST NEWS......BLEW DONUT GASKET ON PASSENGERS SIDE EXHAUST MANIFOLD

rick focks

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you can drive to dfw and pull it, you can get a nice '02 pi motor dirt cheap 8)

OP
OP
C

cody0170

Reaction score
so i just replaced my spark plugs and used a spray cleaner specially for MAF and the sensor behind the MAF..... well it still will not idle..... sounds like its not getting the right amount of fuel. someone even told me to remove the positive cable from the battery for 15 minutes then put it back on and that should reset the computer. well it was off all last night and it still isn't right

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
is your IAT sensor (the one that blew off, behind the MAF) did you make sure that it wasn't broken. i know when mine wasn't in, my car idles like crap.

OP
OP
C

cody0170

Reaction score
well it blew off and i dont know if it is damaged or not but since it backfired it had black carbon on the sensor thing and so i used that spray cleaner on it to remove the gunk and re-inserted it in the CAI. Would that be neccessary to be replaced.

OP
OP
C

cody0170

Reaction score
so i had a friend of a friend come by my house yesterday and look at my car. he is a self employed mechanic and he ended up telling me that i had a major vacuum leak on the bottom of my intake manifold. we didn't take it off so we didn't know if its just the gaskets or if i have a cracked intake. hope its just the gasket. if its the intake itself what should i replace it with. stock npi, pi intake, or all aluminum...... and what do these cost.

OP
OP
C

cody0170

Reaction score
So i just removed the intake. Wow never saw a intake with a big hole in the bottom of it!.. :mad: So when i removed it from the car i saw that and within 5 minutes i leaned it up against the wall and turned the garage lights and just shut the door. It kinda hit me weird. Like the words were shit fuck and then i was speechless. what to do now?????

S

scarface

PI intake swap is a good route, but you may blow that one out too.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
With nitrious a aluminum intake is the best but I would put a plastic one back on there($$$) and find out why the kit backfired. Are you trying to powershift? If so dont its not worth the extra .05 or maybe a tenth.

OP
OP
C

cody0170

Reaction score
i think it backfired because i was shifting to close to 6K. and i wasnt running colder plugs but i was running 104 fuel. how do i install an pi intake on npi heads. what all do i need to do this.. if i dont shift so high in the rpms and run 1-2 colder plugs will this keep happening or will it eliminate it.

OP
OP
C

cody0170

Reaction score
OK problem found and fixed. Removed lower intake and on the back there is a 3x2 inch hole from when it backfired from the nitrous. everything is fine now after i ordered and installed some new colder plugs and intake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online