Nitrous Dry Kit

samseed101

Reaction score
Trying to figure out what the better option is. I'm probably going to ditch the wet kit and go to a dry kit. Should I place the fogger nozzle before the blowthrough MAF or after it? I've been thinknig of both options and can't really decide which is better.

Passenger

Reaction score
I've got a 150 dry shot with the nozzle after the MAF on my 95.

OP
OP
S

samseed101

Reaction score
Passenger said:
I've got a 150 dry shot with the nozzle after the MAF on my 95.

Right now I have a 110ish shot after the MAF because it's a wetshot. Well actually, it's jetted for about 75HP but when boosted it hits at about 110. I was thinking about reducing the shot to 25 - 50hp. But I'm not sure if it should go after teh MAF or if it's generally safe enough to spray through the MAF. Wasn't sure if the cold temps or liquid would screw with the sensor.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
tRaV_19 said:
why do you want to go to a dry from a wet?

That's what I was wondering?

usually i see dry guys wanting to go wet i think your the first i have seen that wants to go the other way lol :D

OP
OP
S

samseed101

Reaction score
I like the wet kit, but I want to cut back to a 25 - 50 shot instead of my 110ish wet kit that I have. And I figured that since it was such a small shot, I might as well go with a dry kit. And with the dry kit, I can spray a bit earlier. I know it seems like a weird step, but I have always liked dry kits. Jus went with a wet kit first for ease of tuning.

And I'm still trying to find out what others think about setting it up after the MAF vs. before the MAF, lol.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it, after the MAF is a bad idea.

spraying before the maf, the Nitrous chilles the maf so the computer adds more fuel thinking there's more air coming in.

if you sprayed it after, you'd be way lean and boom.

OP
OP
S

samseed101

Reaction score
Here are my two thoughts on it:

1) If i spray it before the MAF, it will quickly go lean for a split second until the MAF can tell the EEC to add more fuel, then it would balance out and I should be okay. But I am also thinking that the nitrous itself could cause problems with the MAF, as it really wasn't designed to have anything other than air pass through it. So tiny droplets can't be good over time. An d i really don't wanna break my nice new blowthrough MAF, lol. Of course, if that's truly not a problem then I'd rather go that route because it's easier.

2) If I spray it after the MAF, then I am protecting my MAF from getting hit with nitrous. It would also avoid that temporary lean spike that would occurr when the nitrous first hits. To avoid the "lean" problem, I would simply tune it to be a bit richer when running the "nitrous tune" so that when i spray (only a small 25 - 50 shot, remember) it would balance out. All I have to do is select the nitrous tune when i want to use it, wait 1 second, and then I'm good to go. Then switch back to a normal street tune he rest of the time.

So that's what I ahve been thinking and thats why I can't really decide.

Of course, if it definitely won't hurt the MAF sensor, then that is the easier route for me.

OP
OP
S

samseed101

Reaction score
Here's a semi-recent video of my car at idle. A few things have changed since this video was taken. I made the jump to 30# injectors. The MAF you see there was also swapped out and I put in a protube that wa calibrated for 42# injectors (I was pegging the stock MAF and wanted some good headroom up top.)

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
samseed101 said:
Here's a semi-recent video of my car at idle. A few things have changed since this video was taken. I made the jump to 30# injectors. The MAF you see there was also swapped out and I put in a protube that wa calibrated for 42# injectors (I was pegging the stock MAF and wanted some good headroom up top.)

you forgot to post the link :dunno:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ok, so the seperate tune would take care of it.
That's cool.

Let's see the vid :bunny3:

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
what kinda numbers you putting down? i would look into a new intake the stockers a choker

OP
OP
S

samseed101

Reaction score
With just the Procharger at 10PSI and with the water / methanol injection I get 320 rwhp. With the nitrous on top of that, I get 430 rwhp. But it's time to put the vert back to a daily driver. I actually had GT40 heads and an intake on there but i took them both off. I left the steeda #19 camshaft installed. Also got some suspension mods, rebuilt tranny, and gears that will stay on it. The Tweecer RT will have to stay as well because i want to be able to tune it myself with my laptop.

But I am looking into knocking the overall power on spray down under 400 rwhp. And then I'm buying a nice coupe that I can build for the strip only. I already have the spare nitrous kit, spare 302 that will be stroked out to a 347, and I'll probably by a small supercharger for it or fabricate a cheap turbo. Slap some GT40 heads and an Explorer intake on there and I should have a decent light weight coupe that should make more HP than my vert makes now. Plus I wont have to worry about cats, inspection stickers, etc.

And that's also why i want to drop back to a dry kit and a much smaller shot. Take out the rollbars and all that crap and just enjoy it around the city streets. Of course, i can't just ditch the nitrous completely! LoL. Then i would go through withdrawal!

Passenger

Reaction score
samseed101 said:
Here are my two thoughts on it:

1) If i spray it before the MAF, it will quickly go lean for a split second until the MAF can tell the EEC to add more fuel, then it would balance out and I should be okay. But I am also thinking that the nitrous itself could cause problems with the MAF, as it really wasn't designed to have anything other than air pass through it. So tiny droplets can't be good over time. An d i really don't wanna break my nice new blowthrough MAF, lol. Of course, if that's truly not a problem then I'd rather go that route because it's easier.

2) If I spray it after the MAF, then I am protecting my MAF from getting hit with nitrous. It would also avoid that temporary lean spike that would occurr when the nitrous first hits. To avoid the "lean" problem, I would simply tune it to be a bit richer when running the "nitrous tune" so that when i spray (only a small 25 - 50 shot, remember) it would balance out. All I have to do is select the nitrous tune when i want to use it, wait 1 second, and then I'm good to go. Then switch back to a normal street tune he rest of the time.

So that's what I ahve been thinking and thats why I can't really decide.

Of course, if it definitely won't hurt the MAF sensor, then that is the easier route for me.

Yep, thats the correct answer. MAF's are VERY sensitive, and personally, not something I want to fuck with. Do as you said, have you a seperate tune. My car is running about 13* base timing, maybe 14* I can't exactly remember. Its set this high so when I want to spray, I don't have to worry about the fuel not being compesated for. It has been ran on this dry setup for over 50 passes and hasn't hiccupped yet.

94Vert

Reaction score
i was under the impression that more timing with n2o was a bad idea

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
ya you need to back down the timing with juice. too much timing and nitrous is a very bad thing

OP
OP
S

samseed101

Reaction score
Yes, too much timing is indeed a bad thing with nitrous, especialyl with a supercharger on top of that. I initially had the timing retarded, but since adding the methanol I have since bumped it back up a bit.

After checking everything out, I think I am going to try spraying before the MAF. It's not a huge amount by any means, so I hope that the MAF can handle it without causing problems. But that may be a quicker alternative...quicker than trying to mess with my MAF transfer and get a richer tune anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online