Nitto NT555 - 315/35/17 - 10.5'' Rears.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
If you got Nitto NT555s (not the drag radials, the regular street tires) chime in please.. Looking to get a set in 315/35/17s for the rear of my 95. Obviously that means I'll be buying 17x10.5'' Deep Dish rears aswell.. Plan on running the DD setup for the nice weather, and throw the 17x9s (add snow tires) back on for the winter. I'll be removing my quad shocks as soon as I get around to installing my J&M Rear LCA's (need to order new bolts fack..)
How are they in the rain? Under normal driving conditions? I don't drive fast or aggressively in the wet weather, but I'd like to know how they perform under somewhat heavy acceleration in the rain too.. Dry traction should be great right? My 245/45/17 GoodYear Eagle GT's absolutely suck.. They spin like they're on ice, especially with 4.10s now. They're decent in the rain, but any type of hard of decently heavy acceleration, and its spin city. So basically, how are the NT555s in the rain, dry weather.. Do they rub?

1bad9d5

Reaction score
Idk about 315s but last winter when I used my cobra it had the FR500 Nitto tire package and they were great.. Cobra has 4.10s so low gears in the rain hard on the gas, I didn't see traction but I didn't expect too lol... Other then that I loved those tires until the car went down

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Same here.
I have noticed cold traction could better (cold pavement/cold tire)
No hydroplaning at 70+MPH unless water is standing or running across the road.
I'm pretty happy with them overall.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Good tire for the money. I love mine but traction is a joke in 1st and second even with the stock gear in my car, but that was expected. The one time i got stuck driving it in the rain was a terrential downpour and they did surprisingly well.

Sinned83

Reaction score
I don't have 315's I got 275's out back but I plan on getting them with a new wheel set up. These tires are good compared to other brands I've had... Sumitomo and nexen were way worse with traction. I've heard good things about the bfg's

1bad9d5

Reaction score
Yea I currently have nexen on my gt and it's a$$ I hate them, can't wait to put my F1 supercar tires on in a week or two...
id get the tires though

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Overall I like them. They rubbed the inside of the inner fender on off camber driveways until I got MM rear control arms. Cornering traction is very good. The wet traction is ok but I have had them hydroplane at 70+ on the highway in the rain which was a bit scary. I have about 30,000 miles on them and they still have some tread. I would buy them again.

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Spin city through 1st and most of 2nd. They do seem to last though.

See sig.

TanTop94

Reaction score
Just an FYI the majority of 315/35 tires from multiple companies are also multiple sizes even though they are said to be the same measurement...BFG...I believe that is the brand my brother had on his car in a 315/35 and it was found to be the biggest tire of them all. Its a very beefy tire and if you decide to get it you will be overjoyed. On his SS with them mounted on a 17x11 he had traction for days and that was in a car rated at what 350 to our 215. Very aggressive summer racing tire....SUMMER. They are not the best in the snow, ice, can do rain pretty good but like you said youd only be running them in nice weather anyways.

redriderjf87

Reaction score
My experience: I have the 315 NT555's, and the traction with them at the 40 psi they shipped from is about the same as my bald Goodyear 245's that could only hold about 24-25 psi. I haven't tried lowering the pressure on the Nittos yet though.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
ya im on the same boat. I dont drive too aggressively, and my car is almost stock, maybe with minor mods going to get 270 HP out of it. I am looking into these and the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. About $150 difference in price per tire. I am in socal so i dont see rain to much, but i still want to have some good wet traction, and every once in a while i hit the corners hard. If you get the 555's let me know how they work out for you!

the.greg

Reaction score
I hated them, they didnt even last 10k miles when I had them in 315 on my 98gt. Traction in the dry was nothing special either imo.

For the price I was honestly happier with sumitomos because they lasted so much longer and were cheaper. Seems like my experience was different from most of yall that ran them?

-Although I have to admit the 555s did better than sumitomos in the rain.

twovalveterror

Reaction score
I run 285- 45(?)-18's my sidewall is much bigger than what most people run. on a street tire it shouldn't make much difference but I thought it was worth noting.

In the rain I like them a lot. I can get it loose pretty easy but you're going to get that with any mustang in the wet. Great confidence in the corners and when off the line. That being said I do not drive aggressively in the rain not counting low speed manuevers. the wider you go the more likely you are to hydroplane so keep that in mind. my front tires are on the wide side of 245 and it's noticeable at times.

The life of the tire seems to be doing well. I've had them for a year of daily driving so 10-15k (guess. my odometer went out) miles and they don't show much wear yet.

Dry traction is great. My suspension set up is different from most on here, and I'm sitting close to stock power, but I have to try to haze them in the dry. Low gear corners will result in some tail wagging if you so desire, but the tires are predictable and let go smoothly.

Due to unfortunate circumstances (and stubborness) I drove on them all winter too. They're definitely a summer tire, but as long as the road was dry they did alright below freezing.

I can't give you any insight on rubbing because I have no clue what you're set up is, and it's most likely vastly different to mine. but if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online