No heater............

Duffy

Reaction score
The car/heater has been working fine. Went for a drive this PM and the heater seems to be working fine just "no heat". The system seems to work fine (air from the right places, etc.) but just no heat. Engine temp was a tad over mid range (usually runs mid range), out side air temp right a 32* F.

Did some checking when I got home and both upper and lower radiator hoses are "hot" (actually puked some antifreeze out). Hoses going to the heater core thru the fire wall are "cold". I followed the heater hoses back to the thermostat housing and they are "cool". I'm thinking that the thermostat may be stuck (no hot water to the heater and engine temp a bit higher than it should be).

I read something about a "heater control valve" (I immediately thought about a 70's Ford pickup which uses a manual valve to control water flow to the heater core), checked the heater lines and see nothing that looks like a valve.

Anyone got any suggestions? I have been meaning to drain and flush the cooling system (fluid looks old and is "reddish" in color (GM anti freeze perhaps).

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The roster would be first thing. If it hasn’t been replaced in the last several years then it’s probably due. If the antifreeze is reddish, are you sure it isn’t from rust?? And if it is rust then it’s a good chance heater core is clogged up.

You could try buying a flush kit and flushing it all out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Duffy

Reaction score
What prey tell, is a "roster"? The anti freeze is red, not rusty. Looks like GM Dex cool. Should be green from what I can find out. I'm going to change out the anti freeze, the thermostat and flush the system and see what that does.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Damn phone!!! Lol

I typed thermostat but somehow it changed to roster!!!! Lol

Yeah get that gm crap out and put a good 50/50 in.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
HA I was wondering myself and curious to learn a new part of the car I did not know.

Tell us again about how wonderful taparandomwordtalk is?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
HA I was wondering myself and curious to learn a new part of the car I did not know.

Tell us again about how wonderful taparandomwordtalk is?

Tapatalk isn’t the issue as much as a corrupt iphone is.

OP
OP
D

Duffy

Reaction score
An iPhone perhaps? I have trouble with mine doing auto-correct while texting all the time. Thermostat, flush and new anti-freeze it is. Any recommendation on whether to use a chemical flush? Any brand recommendations if so?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Prestone I think is what I used last time. Just keep in mind that if the radiator or heater core has any holes that are full of muddy rust that when you do this and flush it in reverse it could open them up.

I’ve known a few who did this and then found their heater core leaking. Obviously the rusty heater core was the problem all along but you may end up with that as well.

OP
OP
D

Duffy

Reaction score
Well, it was a stuck "roster" (thermostat) after all.......some real thick, cruddy red anti-freeze didn't help any either A good flush with Prestone and two rinses. Re-filled with green anti freeze (gallon of full strength and 1/2 gallon distilled water), topped off the reservoir with 50/50 and took it for a test drive. Heater works great. After it cools off I'll double check the levels. I'm happy again.............

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online