no luck with lowering springs

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
today i tried swapping the springs. First the brake caliper bolts are not budging (even with a breaker bar), then i tried just dropping the strut but it didnt drop far enough cause the sway bar was holding it up. So i tried disconnecting the sway bar and that wasnt happening cause those bolts are like rusted shut and if i went any further i would have twisted the bolt or stripped the threads on it. Anyone got any better ideas? i tried following the mustang world steps, im going to do it again with my bud probably next weekend (weather depending)

OP
OP
B

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
i got a weak compressor though, my air gun wont even take the lug nuts off my wheels, im gonna pick up some of that pb blaster tomorrow

gt96stang

Reaction score
Definitely let everything soak before you try and get at it.. I used it very generously when I did mine... But I also had a lift and air tools.

gt96stang

Reaction score
I believe I used the MW how-to, but I also changed out my struts/shocks at the same time... So I just removed the strut before taking out the spring..

OP
OP
B

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
did you have to remove the sway bar? when i disconnected the strut it didnt come out all the way

WyoTechMSA

Reaction score
You have to disconnect the sway bar, also youll need to remove the brake line clips to avoid stretching or tearing any lines. With some wd-40 or pb blaster you should be more than capable of doing the whole thing with hand tools. Youll also need 2 jackstands and a jack.

OP
OP
B

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
thanks, i wish i had the stangnet one today, it is more in depth, hopefully i can do it next weekend

OP
OP
B

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
i wd40'd the crap out of all those bolts, almost wasting an entire can on the caliper bolts, but they would not budge at all

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
bigjohnson4.6gt said:
i wd40'd the crap out of all those bolts, almost wasting an entire can on the caliper bolts, but they would not budge at all

Here's a story for you: I was trying to change my rotors out with slotted ones and couldn't get the damn front rotors off. They were rusted solid to the hub. I tried spraying WD40 on them and still wouldn't come off. We beat them with a rubber malet and still no luck. After sitting over night with the WD on it, it soaked through and the next day we gave it a couple taps and it came right off.

There's a morral in there somewhere O0

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
you need PB blaster and a big fucking breaker bar...breaker bars saves fucking lives. fo rizzeal. 8)

OP
OP
B

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
well hopefully the wd40 will do the same for me overnight, but on a brighter note i got my summer rims on, and had about a 30' burnout going today, and nothing beats the smell of burning rubber :banana:

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
bigjohnson4.6gt said:
well hopefully the wd40 will do the same for me overnight, but on a brighter note i got my summer rims on, and had about a 30' burnout going today, and nothing beats the smell of burning rubber :banana:

A lot of things beat the smell of burning $350 a piece 18 by 315 tires though. :-\

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
Red96GT said:
A lot of things beat the smell of burning $350 a piece 18 by 315 tires though. :-\
since when did get rims?

I wish I got rims. I was saying in general, I would not want to be roasting expensive as hell tires. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online